Anyone Meditate?

senri

The belt that resides inside you
@Gold
Reaction score
i'm looking to meditate to relax the mind, anyone heavy practitioners in meditation and can recommend good sites to learn various techniques?

Ive just started. I just sit crossed legged in a dark room and focus on breathing. I do it for around 20 minutes at the moment and the time goes really fast.

I've been meditating more regularly over the past few years. It helps me get out of my wandering thoughts and see things as they are in the moment. I joined a Zen group to help guide me with it.

Meditate? You mean that thing where you try not to sleep?

i'm looking to meditate to relax the mind, anyone heavy practitioners in meditation and can recommend good sites to learn various techniques?

If you're going to do it, do it with an action.

zenarchery2.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about websites or techniques beyond the basics.

Here's a short article on mindfulness meditation that may help get you started, but meditation is largely a personal experience and you just have to get yourself involved; the rest will come with time.

How To Meditate (And Get The Most Benefit Out Of It)

http://io9.com/how-to-meditate-and-get-the-most-benefit-out-of-it-1688990555

For the most part, just...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I find certain activities to be very meditative and help with actual meditation. For me lifting weights and learning to be mindful of muscles, my form and movements helps a lot. In particular the deadlift for me. It's probably why I like deadlifting more than other lifts.

Does drinking alone count?

Start with the basics .....Breathing, count breaths in.....out....7-8 minutes, once a day...

every time i smoke weed i try and relax and meditate. Listen to music sometimes and just zone out.

But really meditate meditate no i would like to learn. lets get some more links

Many different types. I like mindfulness. Simple and can be applied anywhere at anytime.

I get the deadlifting thing. I'm the same. Deads are my favorite, partly because I'm focused on the feeling of the muscles. Which is a form of mindfulness. Even though I'm exerting effort it relaxes me.

You can do the same with any activity.

No need for sitting in lotus, chanting, and channeling your spirit animal shit hah. Just focus on sensations in your body. Or on sensations outside your body like the temperature of air against your face. Or observing your thought/feelings without trying to overcome or resist them. Simple stuff.

Many different types. I like mindfulness. Simple and can be applied anywhere at anytime.

I get the deadlifting thing. I'm the same. Deads are my favorite, partly because I'm focused on the feeling of the muscles. Which is a form of mindfulness. Even though I'm exerting effort it relaxes me.

You can do the same with any activity.

No need for sitting in lotus, chanting, and channeling your spirit animal shit hah. Just focus on sensations in your body. Or on sensations outside your body like the temperature of air against your face. Or observing your thought/feelings without trying to overcome or resist them. Simple stuff.

I think that simple mindfulness-based meditation is a great tool that everyone should learn. I learned it via Shambhala Buddhism but you don't need the Buddhist trappings if you don't want them (though Shambhala is quite secular). Simply realizing that you can be aware of your thoughts without acting on them is incredibly powerful.

I also agree that lifting is a very mindful activity. You really need to focus on the lift and nothing else.

What benefits do you guys truly notice?
how different are things from when you didn't meditate?

IMO it's akin to getting a massage - feels good at the time / shortly afterwards but that's about it. i don't think it carries over to anything else in one's life.

(i'm pretty ignorant of any scientific literature out there though so feel free to correct me)

Difficult to quantify. I imagine it varies from person to person. Intent plays a role.

For me, it helps me attain a higher level of self control as well as revitalizes my mind and body (Although it can have the opposite effect). Sometimes I will experiment with different forms of meditation to see if they bring about different results, but in the main I use it as a tool to better govern myself.

I practice pranayama to control my temper.

i tried to meditate to relieve stress when my blood pressure was getting high about a year ago. I tried to do it about 10 minutes/day for a few weeks. It was really pretty difficult to keep my mind either clear or focused, and sometimes when i caught myself keeping my mind clear, i was really just falling asleep. dont know if i ever really got much out of it.

I learned it via Shambhala Buddhism but you don't need the Buddhist trappings if you don't want them (though Shambhala is quite secular).

Very cool. Were you raised Buddhist or something you got into on your own?

As Bear mentioned, it strengthens my self control and revitalizes me. That sounds pretty boring, haha, but self control is essential to everything we do. The word "control" makes it sound like it's about restricting things. Which isn't the case. Self control helps increase your focus, steady your emotions, etc. The exact things you need for anything you want to succeed in...sports, jobs, relationships. Everything.

It's not being "enlightened" or being "one with the universe". That's hollywood and mystical nonsense. It's about becoming a better version of you, and it will always be a struggle.

In a very real sense, it's a sport for your mind.

IMO it's akin to getting a massage - feels good at the time / shortly afterwards but that's about it. i don't think it carries over to anything else in one's life.

It's a culmulative effect. If you lift weights for one day...you feel good but nothing significant happens to your body or mind. But if you lift weights consistently, over time you get massive results; physically and mentally. Even though you don't see the mental aspects...they are there and spread into every part of your life. The confidence you develop, the focus you build, the drive...etc. Same with meditating.

i tried to meditate to relieve stress when my blood pressure was getting high about a year ago. I tried to do it about 10 minutes/day for a few weeks. It was really pretty difficult to keep my mind either clear or focused, and sometimes when i caught myself keeping my mind clear, i was really just falling asleep. dont know if i ever really got much out of it.

It's normal for your mind to wander and lose focus. Perfectly ok. How often you get distracted isn't important. The important thing is to gently bring your focus back when you notice your mind wander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back