Anyone remember the Aldo and Alvarez threads?

It's both, actually. In professional athletics the highest pay correspond to the best performance.

MJ was the highest paid basketball player of his generation, he's also the best. Ronaldo is the highest paid soccer player right now, and he's also the best (arguable, but whatever, he's in the convo). Usain Bolt is the highest paid sprinter in the world, he's also the best, Michael Phelps...I could go on.

Conor has GOAT pay in MMA, therefore until someone gets paid more than he does he will remain GOAT.

If higher pay comes to those who perform better in a sport, it does not necessarily follow that those who are higher paid perform better than those who have average or low pay.

Casuistry!

(^^ I just learned that word and got excited to use it)

Conor took a hiatus during the athletic peak of his career. Who does that? Yet people continue to swing from his nuts. I’m worried for humanity

Well he definitely deserved a good vacation.

He was one of the most active fighters on the roster for a few years. The insane amount of media/press conf/world tour shit he did alone was enough to earn the man a solid break.

It’s been way too long now, though, that’s for sure. You make it sound like when/if he returns that he’ll no longer be in his prime even though he’s not even 30 yet. It’s not like he showed signs of exiting his prime in any of his last few fights.

He’ll be as good as ever if he comes back.

Conor can't beat them, no fuckin chance

We'll see later this year lads

That’s just how it is.

They say the same shit about him and his opponents both before and after his fights.

They build his opponent up like they’re going to beat Conor so badly. Conor has NO chance. Aldo will leg kick him and that’ll be it, bro! Eddie is going to wrestle him no problem ‘cause he’s a wrestling juggernaut. Possibly work him on the feet, too, because he mauled the amazing, the incredible, the once invincible RDA!!

After the fight they all end up completely retracting their previous statements. Nonstop excuses - suddenly Aldo is past his prime, the fight was fixed, it was a fluke, where were his trusty leg kicks? ‘prime’ Aldo would’ve won... leg kicks, bro!” (if they actually paid attention to his fights they’d realize that Aldo barely uses leg kicks anymore. Been that way for years). Let’s not forget the mysterious WEC Aldo ooooooohhh aaaaahhh!!... even though UFC Aldo is far superior.

Eddie’s wrestling was never that good (last week he was a wrestling god, though..?) to begin with. His striking always sucked (he finished RDA, though..?last week they said he was a great striker so... what happened?). He has a glass jaw all of a sudden (but.. they said a few days earlier that his chin and recovery is some of the best in the division.. how is it suddenly glass?). Nah, Eddie was never good. Still, Conor’s win was clearly a fucking fluke or another fixed fight!

Mendes? Broooo full camp Chad easily beats Conor, bro! Conor had a full camp for Chad, but, Chad only had a total of 3 mins to prepare, yo. Chad was DOMINATING every second of the fight on short notice (even though Conor was the real winner of round 1). You know, Conor had that full camp for Chad, Chad had no camp, but brooo he was smashing Conor easily the whole time.

The truth is that, although Conor did have a full camp, it was not a camp dedicated to fighting Mendes. He trained for a completely different style of opponent. Chad & Aldo have literally zero similarities between their fighting styles. These ‘fans’ don’t seem to understand this. If they had a full camp preparing for each other (Conor and Chad), the fight would’ve ended up the same way. Mendes still would’ve slowed considerably from Conor’s constant attack to his body, as well as the clean shots landed to the head, the nonstop forward pressure and volume, etc. It would’ve been damn near virtually identical to the fight they actually had, only it would’ve lasted a little longer. Same outcome, though.

Then there’s the Poirier fight.. not even going to get into that one.

Conor haters are the worst. They think about Conor more than Dee thinks about him ffs.

CLIFFS (still long)

Before fight:

Aldo leg kicks, broooo!

Connie has no chance against my boi Aldoooo! He invincible!

Eddie gon’ wrassle Connie so easy haha he’s one of the best wrestlers!

Eddie has amazing chin and recovery, he will survive like Nate did and take Conorrhea to school!

Conor gonna be exposed, bros!

After fight:

Aldo is past his prime. Where were his leg kicks?! Fixed fight! Fluke! Ref KO’d him! Was Aldo sick?

Eddie was never that good. His wrestling was always shit. His striking was always shit. He has the glassiest glass jaw ever! Fluke because Conor landed a lucky shot early and Eddie was on autopilot the rest of the fight.

When will they put Conor against a real opponent? They always give him easy fights. Oh well. He’ll be exposed by this guy, that guy, that other guy over there and this guy right here!

CLIFFS CLIFFS:

Conor haters are all the product of inbreeding.

/rant,

Eddie’s wrestling was never that good (last week he was a wrestling god, though..?) to begin with. His striking always sucked (he finished RDA, though..?last week they said he was a great striker so... what happened?). He has a glass jaw all of a sudden (but.. they said a few days earlier that his chin and recovery is some of the best in the division.. how is it suddenly glass?). Nah, Eddie was never good. Still, Conor’s win was clearly a fucking fluke or another fixed fight!

That's my favourite conspiracy - "I've being watching Alvarez since he was 12 years old and he did not look himself in there" "Very strange he didn't try and take him down earlier" "Those leg kicks were working, then he stopped using them all of a sudden. WTF??!!!!1!!!one!!!"

And so on. Good post.

Remember when Conor actually fought MMA?
Remember when he got stripped TWICE for not defending the belts?
Yeah good times...

Conor took a hiatus during the athletic peak of his career. Who does that? Yet people continue to swing from his nuts. I’m worried for humanity
He got pregnant with an 8-ball.

Who does that ? Floyd and Jordan to name a couple

I also remember the floyd vs connor subforum, TS!!

Being paid the most is what makes him the GOAT. He's not the greatest pure fighter but that's irrelevant, he's the greatest PRIZE FIGHTER in MMA, with emphasis on PRIZE. Harambe (RIP) would trash Jon Jones in a fight, your neighbor's dog would destroy Bolt in a 100m race, but since neither of them are getting paid they're not considered greater prize fighters or greater sprinters. It's all about the pay.

I also don't give 2 shits about Conor if someone comes along that gets paid more than he does in MMA I'd turn around and shit on his bum ass in an instant. Fact remains however that at this point in time he holds the GOAT purse in MMA.
Ah ok so now you reveal your argument. Money makes you the best, but the best doesn't mean you're the best. That is literally what you're saying. Instead of saying better fighter directly correlates to better pay, which is sometimes true, you're arguing that better pay means you're a better fighter. This debate is over right there. Anderson Silva has 14 finishes in the UFC. Conor doesn't even have 14 FIGHTS in the UFC. Silva was the highest paid at one point probably, but he's better than Conor ever was so why is Conor making much more? Because of his mouth. If all fighters behaved the same then you'd get the real idea of who's the best.

Grand argument right here though. CM Punk has made more in two fights than MANY MANY other fighters in his division. But he is 0-2 and every other fighter could beat him. Is he the best? No and not even close. So how does the argument hold up that the highest paid is automatically the best?

Well he definitely deserved a good vacation.

He was one of the most active fighters on the roster for a few years. The insane amount of media/press conf/world tour shit he did alone was enough to earn the man a solid break.

It’s been way too long now, though, that’s for sure. You make it sound like when/if he returns that he’ll no longer be in his prime even though he’s not even 30 yet. It’s not like he showed signs of exiting his prime in any of his last few fights.

He’ll be as good as ever if he comes back.

That’s just how it is.

They say the same shit about him and his opponents both before and after his fights.

They build his opponent up like they’re going to beat Conor so badly. Conor has NO chance. Aldo will leg kick him and that’ll be it, bro! Eddie is going to wrestle him no problem ‘cause he’s a wrestling juggernaut. Possibly work him on the feet, too, because he mauled the amazing, the incredible, the once invincible RDA!!

After the fight they all end up completely retracting their previous statements. Nonstop excuses - suddenly Aldo is past his prime, the fight was fixed, it was a fluke, where were his trusty leg kicks? ‘prime’ Aldo would’ve won... leg kicks, bro!” (if they actually paid attention to his fights they’d realize that Aldo barely uses leg kicks anymore. Been that way for years). Let’s not forget the mysterious WEC Aldo ooooooohhh aaaaahhh!!... even though UFC Aldo is far superior.

Mendes? Broooo full camp Chad easily beats Conor, bro! Conor had a full camp for Chad, but, Chad only had a total of 3 mins to prepare, yo. Chad was DOMINATING every second of the fight on short notice (even though Conor was the real winner of round 1). You know, Conor had that full camp for Chad, Chad had no camp, but brooo he was smashing Conor easily the whole time.

The truth is that, although Conor did have a full camp, it was not a camp dedicated to fighting Mendes. He trained for a completely different style of opponent. Chad & Aldo have literally zero similarities between their fighting styles. These ‘fans’ don’t seem to understand this. If they had a full camp preparing for each other (Conor and Chad), the fight would’ve ended up the same way. Mendes still would’ve slowed considerably from Conor’s constant attack to his body, as well as the clean shots landed to the head, the nonstop forward pressure and volume, etc. It would’ve been damn near virtually identical to the fight they actually had, only it would’ve lasted a little longer. Same outcome, though.

Then there’s the Poirier fight.. not even going to get into that one.

Conor haters are the worst. They think about Conor more than Dee thinks about him ffs.

CLIFFS (still long)

Before fight:

Aldo leg kicks, broooo!

Connie has no chance against my boi Aldoooo! He invincible!

Eddie gon’ wrassle Connie so easy haha he’s one of the best wrestlers!

Eddie has amazing chin and recovery, he will survive like Nate did and take Conorrhea to school!

Conor gonna be exposed, bros!

After fight:

Aldo is past his prime. Where were his leg kicks?! Fixed fight! Fluke! Ref KO’d him! Was Aldo sick?

Eddie was never that good. His wrestling was always shit. His striking was always shit. He has the glassiest glass jaw ever! Fluke because Conor landed a lucky shot early and Eddie was on autopilot the rest of the fight.

When will they put Conor against a real opponent? They always give him easy fights. Oh well. He’ll be exposed by this guy, that guy, that other guy over there and this guy right here!

CLIFFS CLIFFS:

Conor haters are all the product of inbreeding.

/rant,
Lmao shit post, Conor admitted he doesn't train for a specific opponent so Mendes or aldo didn't matter.

Ah ok so now you reveal your argument. Money makes you the best, but the best doesn't mean you're the best. That is literally what you're saying.

That's literally the truth.

Usain Bolt is known as the best 100m sprinter, because he's the highest paid 100m sprinter. He's not the fastest 100m runner in the world, not by far. Your neighbor's border collie is faster, but the dog doesn't get paid so it doesn't count. A bear will crush Jones in a fight, but since it doesn't get paid it doesn't qualify in the conversation of best PRIZE fighter, since bears get no PRIZE in fights. Highest pay is literally what qualifies you for the conversation in the first place.

Instead of saying better fighter directly correlates to better pay, which is sometimes true, you're arguing that better pay means you're a better fighter. This debate is over right there.

I'm not talking about better fighter correlates with better pay, I'm talking about BEST PRIZE fighter correlates with BEST pay, that's huge a difference. At any given point in time there's only ONE best PRIZE fighter and ONE PRIZE fighter receiving best pay. Right now that is Conor, and before Conor it was GSP and Silva (career wise), who were widely regarded as GOAT PRIZE fighters (again, people argue between the two, but they're both in the convo). In boxing it is Floyd Mayweather, who's regarded by many as GOAT as well (arguable, but so what, almost anything is, what matters is he is absolutely in the convo).

Extend this to other sports and you'll find the exact same pattern: GOAT athletes always correlates with GOAT career pay, the only exception is if you go back too far and you end up in a completely different era of the sport with factors like inflation affecting the results.

Grand argument right here though. CM Punk has made more in two fights than MANY MANY other fighters in his division.

Again, read before you respond. We're talking GOAT pay and GOAT PRIZE fighter, not better pay. There's no correlation between better pay and better prize fighter, there are simply too many exceptions, but when it comes to athletes receiving GOAT pay, the correlation is always 100%: they're always in GOAT conversation. The worst you can say about Conor is that he's arguable GOAT and you personally disagree with his GOAT assessment, but what you cannot say is that he's not in GOAT conversation, because anyone who has GOAT career pay in any pro sport is by definition among the GOATs.

But he is 0-2 and every other fighter could beat him. Is he the best? No and not even close. So how does the argument hold up that the highest paid is automatically the best?

Performance alone does not matter. PRIZE fighting is about PRIZE first, fighting second.

I've already said this but a rabbit can run way faster than Usain Bolt. A fish can swim faster than Phelps, but either will ever be in conversation for best swimmer or best sprinter because nobody pays them to run or swim.

Lmao shit post, Conor admitted he doesn't train for a specific opponent so Mendes or aldo didn't matter.

He’s said he “trains for different body types” or something. I doubt he’s being truthful about not training specific things for certain opponents, too. Too tired to even say why.

That's literally the truth.

Usain Bolt is known as the best 100m sprinter, because he's the highest paid 100m sprinter. He's not the fastest 100m runner in the world, not by far. Your neighbor's border collie is faster, but the dog doesn't get paid so it doesn't count. A bear will crush Jones in a fight, but since it doesn't get paid it doesn't qualify in the conversation of best PRIZE fighter, since bears get no PRIZE in fights. Highest pay is literally what qualifies you for the conversation in the first place.

I'm not talking about better fighter correlates with better pay, I'm talking about BEST PRIZE fighter correlates with BEST pay, that's huge a difference. At any given point in time there's only ONE best PRIZE fighter and ONE PRIZE fighter receiving best pay. Right now that is Conor, and before Conor it was GSP and Silva (career wise), who were widely regarded as GOAT PRIZE fighters (again, people argue between the two, but they're both in the convo). In boxing it is Floyd Mayweather, who's regarded by many as GOAT as well (arguable, but so what, almost anything is, what matters is he is absolutely in the convo).

Extend this to other sports and you'll find the exact same pattern: GOAT athletes always correlates with GOAT career pay, the only exception is if you go back too far and you end up in a completely different era of the sport with factors like inflation affecting the results.

Again, read before you respond. We're talking GOAT pay and GOAT PRIZE fighter, not better pay. There's no correlation between better pay and better prize fighter, there are simply too many exceptions, but when it comes to athletes receiving GOAT pay, the correlation is always 100%: they're always in GOAT conversation. The worst you can say about Conor is that he's arguable GOAT and you personally disagree with his GOAT assessment, but what you cannot say is that he's not in GOAT conversation, because anyone who has GOAT career pay in any pro sport is by definition among the GOATs.

Performance alone does not matter. PRIZE fighting is about PRIZE first, fighting second.

I've already said this but a rabbit can run way faster than Usain Bolt. A fish can swim faster than Phelps, but either will ever be in conversation for best swimmer or best sprinter because nobody pays them to run or swim.

Are you a prize worker at your job? Does your boss consider the best worker the highest paid or the guy who gets the job done the best? I made less than a guy above me but most of us, even those making less than me, did a way better job than him. And all the managers knew it and were open about their opinion of him.

And this "prize fighter" term is so outdated. By insisting that they are prize fighters you're making it sound like they can't accept money for doing it. It's become more than just a "I'll take on all comers" type of deal. These guys make careers out of this. There's no difference between a professional fighter and a prize fighter. They all make money for it. Otherwise you're just a street thug banging it out in a back alley. There's no prize construction worker and a regular construction worker.

Are you a prize worker at your job? Does your boss consider the best worker the highest paid or the guy who gets the job done the best?

Yes and yes. It's both. You want to find the MVP of the company? Look for the one who's getting paid the most.

I made less than a guy above me but most of us, even those making less than me, did a way better job than him. And all the managers knew it and were open about their opinion of him.

Reading comprehension fail again. I said it before and I'll say it again: we're not talking about who gets paid MORE, we're talking about who gets paid THE MOST. Who's the HIGHEST PAID person in your company? That's the MVP of the company. Amazon pays Jeff Bezos the most. Jeff Bezos is the MVP of Amazon. Tesla pays Elon Musk the most, Elon Musk is the MVP of Tesla. etc. etc. It's the same everywhere.

And this "prize fighter" term is so outdated.

Nope, fighters call themselves that all the time today, most fighters talk about the bottom line of being a prize fighter: to make as much money as possible. That's the primary objective.

Yes and yes. It's both. You want to find the MVP of the company? Look for the one who's getting paid the most.

Reading comprehension fail again. I said it before and I'll say it again: we're not talking about who gets paid MORE, we're talking about who gets paid THE MOST. Who's the HIGHEST PAID person in your company? That's the MVP of the company. Amazon pays Jeff Bezos the most. Jeff Bezos is the MVP of Amazon. Tesla pays Elon Musk the most, Elon Musk is the MVP of Tesla. etc. etc. It's the same everywhere.

Nope, fighters call themselves that all the time today, most fighters talk about the bottom line of being a prize fighter: to make as much money as possible. That's the primary objective.
You'd have to compare job titles. The head of Amazon is making more than anyone else because he's the CEO. He's gonna make the most but he's not the best at a certain task. You'd have to compare him to other company CEOs. But you can't do that because just because one CEO makes more doesn't mean they run a better company than another. Myself, others around me, and the guy I mentioned all kind of did the same job even though by title he was above me. I still did many of the things he did. It will take him hours to do a project it should take us less than an hour to do. Making the most money doesn't ALWAYS mean you're the best. I don't know how you can say this is true in 100% of cases

Back