Anyone remember VHS double cassette films?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
The good ole days when movies were too epic to fit on 1 tape.
I bet when you were a kid at the rental store, you thought you were getting 2 movies for the price of 1

20210902_093928__56821.1630613591.jpg

511fc717f31a5_287681b.jpg

il_fullxfull.4770414373_py0t.jpg
heat-1995-double-cassette-bootleg-v0-3qkgiqu9e57c1.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember music cassette tapes having an A and B side, video games having 2 discs. Not old enough for that though.

Was it "super play, long play and extra-long play"? Wow, been a while since I've thought about that

It was just long play if you wanted to double up here. A lot of players didn’t have it so commercial tapes never really used it. Plus the quality aspect. I used to be a tape trader and I think only one person ever wanted LP, everyone else just went with two tapes.

I seem to remember heat being just one tape though, maybe that version had extra long trailers or something

OIP.fbwrz-5qcC27Po-7SrzTmwHaHa

If you know, you know
Good old Beta. We had the below Betamax machine for years & ended up getting a VHS machine years later. Beta was better quality. The machine below that we had cost over $1000 back in the early 80s & had an infra red remote. Remember watching big trouble in little china, empire strikes back & such movies on Beta. Was easy to hire as the popular movies on VHS may have all been out, but not Beta:

90756005.jpg

Last edited:
Fuck I miss being a kid in the 80s.

Maybe I should go and hang spitfires and messerschmidts from my ceiling by fishing line in simulated dog fights again...

Hell yeah. Of the movies we owned only a few were double cassettes, namely the Godfather and Titanic. We rented several more that were double, such as the Ten Commandments, Wyatt Earp, and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I agree with @ICHEERTHEBULL ‘s recollection about Heat only being on one tape as my oldest brother owned it and I’m sure it was a single tape.

I also agree with @lsa when he says you would be wrong to think that as kids it was like getting two movies for the price of one because from the perspective of a child they were almost always boring movies made for grownups that kids never wanted to watch in the first place.

Back