Anyone still do stick shift driving?

Anyone still do stick shift driving?

• Total voters
My racecars are M/T, but now days even those are starting to get pushed out.

For DD, automatic is quite nice!

Yes. My Honda Accord which will be ten years old at the end of April is manual. I don’t want to let it go because I don’t know that I’ll be able to find another stick shift. Any car that’s manual these days is paddle shift which I don’t like.

It's the standard here in the UK.

My first and only car is a manual.

I've driven automatics. My HGV at work is an auto.

I'd like my next car to be an auto, though I don't want my skills with a manual to degrade.

Why drive a stick shift unless your driving a Lambo or something like it. It's fun for a minute then it's just cumbersome an un needed.

I learned on azstivk shift and can do it of needed but wouldn't buy one..

Yes,
And miss it dearly. Last stick vehicle I had was a 09 Mazda RX8.

Tried looking for a stick when purchasing my recent ride but it was really hard to find one. Pretty much going extinct, SAD.

This is how I imagine automatic drivers:

af1fcef16ae527ebfd6f5697bd9ecc9d.gif
Those are some beautiful lesbians.

no point really.
The only reason we did it back in the day was because they got better gas mileage than automatic but technology made all engines efficient now. The only reason to drive one now is to win a dick measuring contest. It's a silly thing to be proud of it is like bragging to people that you can write in cursive WHICH I can.

Manual transmissions has to be the #1 obsolete technology that people are determined to hold onto for no apparent reason. It's like if people still bought cassette tapes to listen to their music on.

Manual transmissions has to be the #1 obsolete technology that people are determined to hold onto for no apparent reason. It's like if people still bought cassette tapes to listen to their music on.

It's certainly not obsolete for all conditions and I would prefer it for snow or ice driving.

I would prefer a lightweight front wheel drive even over a large heavy 4 wheel drive auto for ice.

my first 2 cars were manual so Im confident that even though I have not driven a manual in like 20 years I could probably pick it up quickly if need be. However I was recently in scotland and rented a car and the rental place said the vast majority of their vehicles were manual. I guess its still the norm in the UK. But no way was I about to drive on the left side of road for the first time in my life while also driving manual so I told them they better find me an automatic lol.

First car was an automatic, never driven a manual and no desire to. I'm clumsy af and learning to drive was terrifying enough already. (Maybe because of all the car accidents I've been in as a passenger, I dunno)

I find it funny when this thread comes up, how many people are convinced that there are NO advantages in driving manual.

I mean I understand why one would choose to drive automatic and I really don't care, but to disregard the advantages in terms of control and driving experience indicates to me that many people with an opinion on the mattet actually can't drive manual.

I find it funny when this thread comes up, how many people are convinced that there are NO advantages in driving manual.

I mean I understand why one would choose to drive automatic and I really don't care, but to disregard the advantages in terms of control and driving experience indicates to me that many people with an opinion on the mattet actually can't drive manual.
I wouldn't say there are no advantages to driving a manual these days but the only real reason to drive one is because you want to and enjoy the engagement. That is why my daily is a manual, but it will likely be the last brand new manual I'll ever get. Unless I some how start making ridiculous money and could afford one of the 911 manuals because those will probably be the last new sports cars with them in 5-10 years.

My last 4 cars have been German

Of the 4, 3 of them have been some kind of automatic, with paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel

Audi A3 - DSG (dual clutch system with an automatic driving mode)
BMW 335i - ZF8 with paddle shifters
BMW M340i- ZF8 with paddle shifters (this model isn't actually available in manual)

If you look at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for these cars, the autos outperform the manuals. With the manual modes engaged you still get the benefits of revving up the engine super high, engine braking, downshifting for more power, etc.

There's a reason manual transmissions are being phased out. The 4th car I mentioned that I owned before all of those was a VW Golf with a manual transmission. I replaced the clutch on that thing twice before selling it.

Talking about being possibly obsolete in the future.

It seems like it's slowly disappearing the old school stick shifting/manual transmission.

Anyone still drive stick?

gear-stick.png
I do when I travel to other countries. You dont see them much these days in the states unless its a sports car but overseas its still the norm. I'm always the designated driver as most of my younger buds dont know how to drive one.

Back