Anyone thinks Gaethje looked bad last night

Andy Anderson

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want to say it, but USADA seems to have some effect on him. he probably needs to recharge himself after he used up the battery

No he just got exposed as predictable and one-dimensional.

It wasn't USADA. Some of us have been telling you guys for the last month that although Gaethje is a fan favorite, his style will not take him far against the top guys in the UFC. Too many smart fighters that would simply out gameplan him.

He looked TERRIBLE.

His body is not as tough as he believes it to be. His body doesn't have the power to even knock down Eddie, a fighter who pretty much gets knocked down in every other fight. He has poor fight IQ, and a style that is not sustainable at the highest level.

The ranking that the UFC gifted him is suspect now.

He looked the same as he always did. The difference is Alvarez was a massive step up in competition for him. Gaethje got scuffed up a lot in his WSOF matches and his first UFC fight.

We’re not talking about some guy who was Uber dominant and then all of a sudden lost something. His offense was the same, but the return fire was more potent.

In the UFC he's not going to be able to just cover his head and expect fighters to gas themselves out punching his gloves.

He's still a fucking exciting fighter though and I'll pay to see him every time.

His gas tank is biggest problem... he was doing ok until his hands started dropping. UFC is full of tough chinned fighters like gassje it's the ones who can go 100% all rounds that make it unless you're conor and just gifted shots. They tried the rub with gassje bringing him in at 5. Don't see him getting higher than that until a) correct gas tank and b) has more than haymakers and keg kicks.

He looked bad because he had no game plan and his stupid ass refuses to use his wrestling. His stubborn attitude towards his style cost him the fight. If he had shot for TDs and used GnP he would have won.

If he'd focused on that lead leg from minute one things could have gone differently. Alvarez did a great job defensively up top but was not checking those kicks well at all.

I think he looked a little more sluggish after the two minute mark but it was really the hard body punches that did him in.

Nah. He just tried to pressure a guy with more skill and cardio for days. He breaks these guys because they get tired. Good luck getting Alvarez tired. It looked like to me that Gaethje tried to put a pace on Alvarez, but Gaethje couldn't handle his own pace and Alvarez could. Add the bodyshots to that equation and better boxing and you have the fight. Alvarez's defense also looked really good. Never seen him with so much good headmovement.

No, he looked good. Eddie looked great though.

Definitely a let down from the hype. He was exposed.

Justin needs to change his ego-driven fighting style.

Nah. He just tried to pressure a guy with more skill and cardio for days. He breaks these guys because they get tired. Good luck getting Alvarez tired. It looked like to me that Gaethje tried to put a pace on Alvarez, but Gaethje couldn't handle his own pace and Alvarez could. Add the bodyshots to that equation and better boxing and you have the fight. Alvarez's defense also looked really good. Never seen him with so much good headmovement.
I agree. Eddie just looked great. I was really impressed with his head movement and work on the body. He looked creative and relaxed. His best performance in the UFC imo, no shame on Justin for losing to the animal that was Alvarez last night.

he looks bad and that's why some of us love him. He's a just bleed fighter non a Champion.
Slug fest justin. Walk in to punches, no head movement, wingin punches and...yeah i guess a coach would say he fights bad but he was also unfortunate to find a guy that aint worried about being in a crazy fight but that also has a Jab and good movement

Gaethje is the next Diego Sanchez.

Conor picked Eddie apart and finished him.

Eddie's body shots were awesome against a guy who doesn't believe in defense.

He looks the same. That's how he fights.

He just happened to bring the dog out of Eddie.

For all the shit Eddie gets on sherdog hes shown, in lots of his fights outside the ufc, that he has fairly good striking and understanding. He uses faints and footwork and tries lots of different looks to keep the opponent guessing. Gaethje is far too predictable and far to happy to take shots due to his chin(before this fight) holding up.

He's not the best fighter out there, but he's tough and tenacious. I think he looked the same as he always does, it's just he couldn't put away Alvarez and the body shots took a huge toll on him in the 3rd round. He had nothing left.

Also props to Alvarez for staying in the fight. Those leg kicks were torturous.

Back