Anyone want to guess how much longer gyms will stay close for?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When did your gym get closed down and when do you think it will re-open? I'll start.

I am in Melbourne. All Australian gyms were closed down by the government from midday 23 March onwards. I hope it will reopen by June but, from what I can tell, it seems more likely to be 23 September.

It seems so much time has passed but really its only been 2 weeks :(

(EDIT: yes, I agree the closure is a necessary step to containing the virus. But understanding something and liking it are 2 different things...)

The first day that hes allowed to open, my coach will. But my guess is mid may, possibly June

Probably gonna be closed for a long ass time (at least 2 more months). I saw an ad for a 60 dollar grappling dummy so I think I might just end up buying it so I can at least practice some techniques.

I probably won't open my academy for another 2-3 months sadly. I think we're still at the start of this pandemic.

Our gym closed down mid March. I'm hoping it can reopen in May.

I know it could be longer than that though.

Ours has been closed for almost 3 weeks. I was hoping for May 1. Now..... I speculate the serious guys will start back the weekend or early morning class by then, but a full fledged re-opening with big evening classes and kids program....... probably looking at June. Which blows my mind. I don't even have a real training partner in my household, and I have ordered some mats. For drills and stuff. Its something.

we've got some pretty good discussion for small business opening in the war room.
I think it will be the end of May for CA
Much more and you basically are telling most small business to shut down forever unless you have some massive bailout just for them

I'm from Victoria as well

Some gym owners didnt even close their gym before they were forced to, I think this was the wrong thing to do. Especially if you weren't a small gym

You have to put the healthy and safety of your members first

I shut my gym down March 15; there is a provincial order for all fitness clubs to be down until at least May 30/June 1 :(

I think the strategy for Australia has been close international borders, close state borders, eradicated known case, track and eradicate community case. Then - and only then - will various states start opening up (eg: WA has shut inter-state *and* regional borders).

I dunno: if it goes to plan, we *might* be back on the mats within 3 months....but then again, it might be all the way until Feb next year. Sucks :/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...Ww4N9UvDa1LfGRb4xbh9hRszgrDe4advBstku5HVbn85g

I'm in Quebec. Canada. From the looks of it, I'm guessing gyms won't reopen pour 3+ months at least. We're in total quarantine until May, at which point it looks like they'll get into ''second wave'' mode, and businesses will be allowed to reopen BUT social distancing will still have to be respected. It doesn't look good for grappling gyms.

No idea. I think here in Italy it will be hard to see allowed any kind of contact sport before september.

I think the strategy for Australia has been close international borders, close state borders, eradicated known case, track and eradicate community case. Then - and only then - will various states start opening up (eg: WA has shut inter-state *and* regional borders).

I dunno: if it goes to plan, we *might* be back on the mats within 3 months....but then again, it might be all the way until Feb next year. Sucks :/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...Ww4N9UvDa1LfGRb4xbh9hRszgrDe4advBstku5HVbn85g

But then you are into the next cold / flu / corona season in February- you better close pre-emptively in January to avoid that, right?

I'd like to see the mat's open end of mid / end of may depending on your region. I get this is bad, but you still have to triple the number of deaths to reach an average flu season in the US. AT some point, we decided we could live with 50 - 70,000 deaths per year due to the flu and be ok. We will reach a similar point with Corona.

Potential unpopular opinion, but at this point, I'm willing to bet you will have more suicide deaths, domestic violence deaths, and alcohol related deaths due to people losing their business, life savings, careers, homes- as a result of the shut down than you will due to the virus.

But then you are into the next cold / flu / corona season in February- you better close pre-emptively in January to avoid that, right?

I'd like to see the mat's open end of mid / end of may depending on your region. I get this is bad, but you still have to triple the number of deaths to reach an average flu season in the US. AT some point, we decided we could live with 50 - 70,000 deaths per year due to the flu and be ok. We will reach a similar point with Corona.

Potential unpopular opinion, but at this point, I'm willing to bet you will have more suicide deaths, domestic violence deaths, and alcohol related deaths due to people losing their business, life savings, careers, homes- as a result of the shut down than you will due to the virus.

I hate to say it but I agree on the amount of deaths due to the negative affects of this and not the virus itself.

Short answer is it depends. It will be over if the last types of businesses to open that's for sure. Look at countries that have fattened the curve and they're slowly allowing different businesses to open. The last thing they want is a huge second wave

In the UK? At least another month, and that's being optimistic.

Even when gyms open - will everyone here be immediately going back? It only takes 1 person who may not even know he/she has the virus. If I was on my own its one thing, but the thought of family becoming sick because of hobby has me second guessing.

Where I live, school usually goes until the third week of June, but I don't think kids will be going back at all this school year. It would be bad optics to conduct BJJ classes if kids still aren't allowed in school, so I think my academy would open in July at the earliest.

Back