AOJ & Half Guard

I have to agree with Uchi on this. No need to become shitter versions of your instructor. I know a shittier version of the Mendes bros is 99% better than everyone, but the student might not his potential.

They trained with Bruno Frazatto coming up who uses a lot of deep half. I believe Rafa used deep half in that brown belt match where Cobrinha passed his guard. They just found a style that suits them better and eliminates a lot of the risk of half guard, I think.

I think Rafa gets PTSD now if he uses anything without explicit distance control.

As others have pointed out they teach butterfly guard, they also teach closed, spider and x-guard as well as mount even though those are positions they almost never use in competition, so I don't think it's fair to say they only teach their own personal game.

If I was an instructor I think I would teach more half guard than they do but I have a lot of respect for the Mendes brothers not teaching it. If you think a position is bad I don't think it's right to teach it to your students so I applaud them for practicing what they preach and trying to teach their students the best way they know how.

but I have a lot of respect for the Mendes brothers not teaching it. If you think a position is bad I don't think it's right to teach it to your students so I applaud them for practicing what they preach and trying to teach their students the best way they know how.

who are they to say half guard is bad? it's a jiu jitsu position since forever, and people are winning worlds and fighting MMA based on it.

Sometimes people act like Rafa lost to Cobrinha because he used half guard...NO! He lost because at the time they fought, Cobrinha was better than Rafa.

It's ok for them not to play half, but it's a basic and fundamental position, that should be teached everywhere.
But again, who am I to say what they should teach...just being curious

Everyone has techniques that suit their body type and personality, so naturally they will favor some parts of the game. But as a teacher you need to be able to show the whole game and guide the student to the right areas for them.

I used to train there and I have a good lucas leite style half guard. They told me it's good to have but shouldn't be your primary guard. For a while they were actually telling me to let people pass if they even got to half guard. They didn't want me relying on it at all. They basically thought it burns too much energy, and the guy puts weight on you.

When they taught half guard there it was mostly stuff like half guard to full guard.. recovery stuff. nothing offensive.

If I asked them specific questions about half guard they were knowledgable though. I could never really get good at DLR. I'm not one of those guys who can grip peoples sleeves to death.

I used to train there and I have a good lucas leite style half guard. They told me it's good to have but shouldn't be your primary guard. For a while they were actually telling me to let people pass if they even got to half guard. They didn't want me relying on it at all. They basically thought it burns too much energy, and the guy puts weight on you.

hmm, that's a shame

Unless you expect your students to be clones of you, I think it's pretty obvious why you'd teach it.

That's like believing in capitalism, but teaching communism.

If it goes against your mythology dont teach it.

This is madness. Half is the truth.

who are they to say half guard is bad? it's a jiu jitsu position since forever, and people are winning worlds and fighting MMA based on it.

Sometimes people act like Rafa lost to Cobrinha because he used half guard...NO! He lost because at the time they fought, Cobrinha was better than Rafa.

It's ok for them not to play half, but it's a basic and fundamental position, that should be teached everywhere.
They have a style based on their experience what is bjj but judo based on the graces experiences?

I have mixed feelings about half guard.

If you play half guard, there will be times when you will get crossfaced and smashed like crazy... and you have to fight your way out of that.

But if you play RDLR, its rare that you will get smashed. Most likely, you will get knee sliced or some other less painful passes.

You see guys like Lucas Leite and Bernardo Faria dominate with their half guards... but they seem to run into trouble with guys like Rodolfo. I think a good knee slicer is a half guard player's kryptonite.

My solution is to develop a good RDLR to supplement my half-guard.

they are world champs themselves, and they don't just say it's bad, they actually have a pretty good explanation for it.

for years, i played the traditional halfguard, almost exclusively. but the bros are absolutely correct when they're saying that it's the kind of guard that makes you carry your opponent's weight. it's effective, but it's not ideal. you can totally make it work, there are indeed people who won world championships with it, but that doesn't change the fact that being smashed to shit is a very realistic option in there. you need to know how to fight from halfguard, because you will definitely end up there, and it really helps if you can do more than just be defensive from the position. i don't regret a single second i spent learning how to fight there, but it makes no sense to get myself into that position voluntarily.

i just stopped playing the underhook and instead use the outside foot to push on their hip, it's basically RDLR, and it's just so much easier to play. their system is based around DLR/RDLR, and once you play around with it, you notice it's awesome because it prevents your opponent from putting any kind of significant weight on you. when you weigh 150lbs in a gym full of people well over 200lbs, that kind of game comes in handy.

trust me, controlling the distance with your legs will save you so much energy, it's not even funny.

I think they sould teach it as any other position, at least to know some sweeps and how to escape from it. But half guard is a bad position to be in, too easy to get passed and even submitted if you're against a good top player. If you don

Rambling thoughts of a hobbyist. I'll try not to write too much.

I see the logic in this. And I like @Uchi Mata's opinion that it should be taught to some degree. I like learning from people that are able to show the entire picture and let students find and develop their own game. It is a martial art after all, and the art part is crucial. People with different body types, styles, movements, and personalities will all find their own game regardless. I see both sides of the argument though, because the Mendes Bros have a very good reason for why they don't like half guard. Marcelo Garcia has a similar reasoning I believe. Marcelo also doesn't really teach much DLR or RDLR (although I'm sure Bernardo Faria does).

So Mendes Bros and Marcelo both will teach what they teach because they believe it works best against all people of all sizes, yet they both have some big differences with what they prefer. I tend to think this drives home that earlier point that ultimately most grappling is relative, and most people can make almost anything work for them on a long enough timeline.

I also don't know enough to know. Maybe there's a perfect game out there. I do know that anyone that can train under the Mendes Bros or Marcelo Garcia, or anyone that doesn't really focus on half guard is still going to develop some bad ass jiu-jitsu no matter what if they train hard.

BTW does anyone know if the "half guard isn't worth it" is a common opinion? I know the Mendes Bros are big on this but I've seen other friends of theirs like Andre Galvao and Bruno Frazatto teach and compete with deep half for example.

they are world champs themselves, and they don't just say it's bad, they actually have a pretty good explanation for it.

their system is based around DLR/RDLR, and once you play around with it, you notice it's awesome because it prevents your opponent from putting any kind of significant weight on you. when you weigh 150lbs in a gym full of people well over 200lbs, that kind of game comes in handy.

trust me, controlling the distance with your legs will save you so much energy, it's not even funny.

I'm at a crossroads with this. I was in your shoes, and used to play a lot of half. The past couple years I've moved to more RDLR instead of half and it's been great. But I trained with Jeff Glover for a few days back in April and really saw deep half in a new light. He fixed some things that used to get me crushed. He taught a more "shallow" version of it (my favorite uncle half guard), and even though that's an oxymoron, I've been able to use it without feeling smashed with so much weight on me. I've even been able to tie it in decently when my RDLR fails. There's a degree of distance control with it too, but it's just not as extreme as a foot on the hip or torso. So I'll just proceed and keep winging it, because it's working pretty well.

I think a good knee slicer is a half guard player's kryptonite.
Depends, if I can get that Faria style lapel control between the legs then knee slicers basically give you the single/double leg. See Faria's matches vs Lo for evidence.

Depends, if I can get that Faria style lapel control between the legs then knee slicers basically give you the single/double leg. See Faria's matches vs Lo for evidence.

Yeah man the best half guard player at our gym loves that. Allowing people to come and try to knee slice him is basically his bottom game. People that pass well against him tend to stay on the feet to toreando or leg drag.

Marcelo might not teach Half (which I think he does), but you got Paul Schreiner, Bernardo and Matheus Diniz there...As far as DLR/RDLR you have Gianni and others

What I was saying is that at AOJ Rafa and Gui teach, and their instructors don't play half. If you look at them (Gustavo, Mason, Slomba etc) they all have the same game...I really believe not teaching half is missing a huge part of bjj.

And for the people saying that RDLR and creating space is far superior than traditional half: you guys don't do much no gi, right?!
If you keep creating space and never engage or "carry some weight" you'll never sweep a decent opponent without the gi. Hell, even the Miyao's spin under for a X/deep waiter variation in no gi...

I've always been confused about the distinction between HG and RDLR. In some ways, it seems like the passer determines which it is: if he passes on his knees, it's HG; if he passes standing or squatting, it's RLDR. Is that incorrect?

I thought this video was interesting, and maybe relevant to the discussion. Jake Shields stays on his knees almost the entire time, and you don't really see Rafa use a typical RDLR hook where the toes of the hooking foot wrap around and come up by the hip. I would tend to say he's using knee shield HG at times, but I don't know. Always been confused on this, and would appreciate if someone could shed some light...

Last edited:
And for the people saying that RDLR and creating space is far superior than traditional half: you guys don't do much no gi, right?!
If you keep creating space and never engage or "carry some weight" you'll never sweep a decent opponent without the gi. Hell, even the Miyao's spin under for a X/deep waiter variation in no gi...

I think people maybe didn't clarify. The other weekend Rafa was telling us that he plays RDLR for guard almost exclusively for nogi. A lot of what we did was tripod sweeps, spinning under to the back, leg drag, x guard, waiter, coming up to a single leg, etc. He definitely does all of that. He just doesn't really pull half guard directly. Most of his guard play nogi begins in RDLR, even if there's a transition to another guard.

I've always been confused about the distinction between HG and RDLR. In some ways, it seems like the passer determines which it is: if he passes on his knees, it's HG; if he passes standing or squatting, it's RLDR. Is that incorrect?

I thought this video was interesting, and maybe relevant to the discussion. Jake Shields stays on his knees almost the entire time, and you don't really see Rafa use a typical RDLR hook where the toes of the hooking foot wrap around and come up by the hip. I would tend to say he's using knee shield HG at times, but I don't know. Always been confused on this, and would appreciate if someone could shed some light...

I don't know what the literal difference would be, because with both you have one leg in between your legs, but in RDLR you usually have your bottom leg as a hook on top of the knee/thigh of the top player's lead leg while they are standing or kneeling.

In this video you'll see that it's difficult to play RDLR on someone that's kneeling. You may have seen Rafa Mendes try to pass kneeling against Joao Miyao as a way to prevent the DLR and RDLR hooks. I don't know if Jake Shields did that on purpose or if he just prefers to pass kneeling, but it definitely makes it harder to play RDLR.

Somewhere in the Rafa Mendes x Bruno Frazatto ADCC match you can see Bruno on his knees and Rafa sort of gets half guard and uses his top foot to push on Bruno's hip while pulling in with his bottom leg, and it forces Bruno's lead knee to come up off the floor so rafa can set the RDLR hook.

Back