Are AB crunch machines any good?

DeepFry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
RSL0714.jpg

I used to do leg raises and body lifts on a chin on bar to work abs.

These are so much easier though.

Just curious, anyone use them and see good results from them?

Prefer hanging leg raises from a dip machine or from rings/pull up bar. Feels great on shoulders too.
Not spent much time on weighted ab workouts to say that machine works.

Any good for what? Ab hypertrophy? I can't see why they would be worse than anything else, probably better than most, since they have a concentric and eccentric phase. If time hanging from a bar is a limiting factor and you just want to train your abs and spinal flexion, I think it would make sense. Probably longer ROM and easier to load incrementally as well.

For ab strength that translates to the powerlifts or other movements where you need to maintain a rigid torso, you might also want to do some isometric type exercises, e.g.: Ab wheel, planks. Although whether those will truly make a difference in the end, I don't know.

Last edited:
I actually use this exact machine. It's the only ab exercise I do (generally 2-3 times a week), as I think I hit my core decently with compound lifts as well as Sprints/jogs.

Any good for what? Ab hypertrophy? I can't see why they would be worse than anything else. If time hanging from a bar is a limiting factor and you just want to train your abs and spinal flexion, I think it would make sense. Probably longer ROM and easier to load incrementally as well.

For ab strength that translates to the powerlifts or other movements where you need to maintain a rigid torso, you might also want to do some isometric type exercises, e.g.: Ab wheel, planks. Although whether those will truly make a difference in the end, I don't know.
I've been ab-wheeling for a few months and I don't rate it. I like an exercise I've seen I call "Leg lowers" though they probably have a better name, where you lie on your back and lower your legs slowly until you can't maintain your lower back. I work my abs for bjj though, so this is very "translate-able" movement

I also really like front squats for abs, (with no basis in science, it's my opinion and I used to olly lift), and generally love front squats for most everything.

If this is a "how do I get abs" question in disguise, the answer is to lift weights and have a low body fat percentage, and really the latter is more important than the former.

I've been ab-wheeling for a few months and I don't rate it. I like an exercise I've seen I call "Leg lowers" though they probably have a better name, where you lie on your back and lower your legs slowly until you can't maintain your lower back. I work my abs for bjj though, so this is very "translate-able" movement

I also really like front squats for abs, (with no basis in science, it's my opinion and I used to olly lift), and generally love front squats for most everything.
The accurate name is probably "leg raise negatives" (or something to that effect). They're one of the early progressions towards "dragon-flags" which were reported to be Bruce Lee's favourite "ab" exercise. They may be worth you looking into if you like that style of exercise.

And yeah, I agree that Front Squats are a great "core" exercise (there is science to back that up), as are weighted Chins in my experience.

The accurate name is probably "leg raise negatives" (or something to that effect). They're one of the early progressions towards "dragon-flags" which were reported to be Bruce Lee's favourite "ab" exercise. They may be worth you looking into if you like that style of exercise.

And yeah, I agree that Front Squats are a great "core" exercise (there is science to back that up), as are weighted Chins in my experience.
Just googled it and yes that's it, my name is better haha. I generally bend my knees as it allows me to target a bit lower on my abs. I had not heard of dragon flags they look insane.

Front squats obviously hit the "core" my science remark was intended to mean: I cannot say if FS are better or worse than any other core exercise, and I know the utility of front squatting when you are back squatting and cleaning is debated. But I like them.

Last edited:

If this is a "how do I get abs" question in disguise, the answer is to lift weights and have a low body fat percentage, and really the latter is more important than the former.

So you don't think this machine is really worthwhile?

Just googled it and yes that's it, my name is better haha. I generally bend my knees as it allows me to target a bit lower on my abs. I had not heard of dragon flags they look insane.

Front squats obviously hit the "core" my science remark was intended to mean: I cannot say if FS are better or worse than any other core exercise, and I know the utility of front squatting when you are back squatting and cleaning is debated. But I like them.
I've not thought about dragon flags in ages. They're one of those movements which would be really cool to do - I may try to incorporate some more bodyweight training over the winter.
Front Squats are amazing, but personally I hate doing them! The Safety Squat Bar is bad enough...

Seems like a cool exercise, I don't think there's any reason to exclude either one, other than personal taste. I like the ab wheel, but I don't think it's some uniquely beneficial exercise. It does train that aspect of maintaining a rigid torso. The machine in the OP trains spinal flexion and concentric strength, which the iso exercises don't really train.

As far as the FS goes, not sure, but I would assume that any direct ab work added on top of a training program with other lfits, trains them more than just doing the compound lifts without any extra work. FS trains a lot of stuff, but not sure that your abs would be a limiting factor. Not that everyone needs direct ab work, probably not.

Seems like a cool exercise, I don't think there's any reason to exclude either one, other than personal taste. I like the ab wheel, but I don't think it's some uniquely beneficial exercise. It does train that aspect of maintaining a rigid torso. The machine in the OP trains spinal flexion and concentric strength, which the iso exercises don't really train.

As far as the FS goes, not sure, but I would assume that any direct ab work added on top of a training program with other lfits, trains them more than just doing the compound lifts without any extra work. FS trains a lot of stuff, but not sure that your abs would be a limiting factor. Not that everyone needs direct ab work, probably not.
For me, I do actually think abs/core are the limiting factor for the Safety Squat Bar; I assume the Front Squat is similar, although maybe the upper back plays a bigger factor? I'm not 100% though as I don't train FS.
I like the ab wheel too, I definitely can't do them standing though. It's hilarious/amazing to watch someone like Ross Enamait do (one handed) standing rollouts, and how far that is from my personal ability.

Last edited:
My issue with the ab wheel is the amount of pressure it puts on the lower back. For me, ensuring that I have the lower back taught and locked means a reduced ROM that reduces the ab work. I could push it but all the online PT's say you are risking injury by doing so. A few months in I've found it hard to make progress. Perhaps it's an intermediate exercise that one needs to be stronger than me before doing?

My issue with the ab wheel is the amount of pressure it puts on the lower back. For me, ensuring that I have the lower back taught and locked means a reduced ROM that reduces the ab work. I could push it but all the online PT's say you are risking injury by doing so. A few months in I've found it hard to make progress. Perhaps it's an intermediate exercise that one needs to be stronger than me before doing?
You'll only feel pressure on your lower back if your abs begin to give way.
Start from your knees
Or make them band assisted
Or use a slope

So you don't think this machine is really worthwhile?

I think you should provide more details. Why are you doing abs? Why do you want to do this exercise. Do you enjoy it? If so, go for it. Are you looking to purchase this for a home gym?
I can't see any benefit of this machine that you wouldn't get from a cable machine. See here:

Or the exercises we've previously mentioned.

I personally find abs are always a good place to target for my sport, but I'd be curious as to why you want to target them.

You'll only feel pressure on your lower back if your abs begin to give way.
Start from your knees
Or make them band assisted
Or use a slope
I have heard this but I can't square it with my experience. My back feels pressure immediately. I am on my knees. Maybe I'm just weak? I've watched loads of form videos. I might spit my ab wheels with planks for a month and see if that helps. Planks are boring, I half bought the ab wheel to avoid doing them.

If your low back hurts from abwheel rollouts that means your abs are not strong enough to maintain a posterior pelvic tilt in that position. Start with partials and work up to full ROM.

Leg raises on dip bar feel vastly better than this machine.

I though incorporating weight may = ridiculous ab definition but it feels like it just doesn't hit the relevant muscle group accurately V leg raises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back