Are Body Shots As Effective Against Muscular Oppenents?

It is not about the muscle mass of the opponents stomach but the timing, position and force of the punch. You catch the most muscular guy in the world while his body is twisted and in breath and he will collapse just the as an overweight guy. Theses are the punches which drop guys. If you mean will fat or muscle insolate against glancing blows or properly prepared for punches better than any other body type my opinion I simply that extra pddin must be a good thing but tht those are not typically the punches that cause th damage anyway.

I find it funny that in this thread there seems to be this generalized concept of the "body" as a target....... and that the damage created from a body shot is directly proportionate to the guys physical stature (less or more muscle). Let's not forget, what causes damage from a body shot has more to do with how/where it lands, than on whom it lands on. Would ya make this same generalized argument for the "head"? you can hit a guy in the forehead 10 times and he's still right there in front of you, but catch him on the chin once or catch him with a shot he's not expecting and he's taking a nap. Hitting a guy in the body is no different and a guy's ability to absorb shot's to the body has far more to do with where and how the shots land than it does his physical stature. You can load up and throw a big shot into a guys ribs and he can brace for it (tighten his abs/lats) and may barely flinch. But catch him with a shot he's not ready for that really gets up under those "floating ribs", he'll be in a world of hurt. When referencing head shot's it's common knowledge that shot's you don't see coming do far more damage, regardless of where they land. The body is no different, there is a huge difference getting hit in the body while inhaling vs. exhaling. Catching a guy with a shot in the body when he's exhaled all the air out of his lungs or is inhaling will do more damage.

Exactly. This is what I was taught in every gym I have ever trained in and what I have experiened in training.

The body is no different, there is a huge difference getting hit in the body while inhaling vs. exhaling. Catching a guy with a shot in the body when he's exhaled all the air out of his lungs or is inhaling will do more damage.

This is exactly it. It's like trying to squat after exhaling. You have nothing to brace your abdominal region with.

Is the resurrection of old threads effective amongst white belts?

I guess I can't complain, at least it means they're reading them.

one of the biggest differences you will get with the effect of body punches,is if you see it coming of not,you can then tense up in certain positions,like the front of the abs,most people can take a shot there if they breath right,but if there not ready or breathing wrong it can drop someone. with the ribs and sides of the body its much harder to absorb the strike when theres only a thin layer of muscle,the strikes to the sides also tend to be more powerful becuse of the hooking motion.

when your punching a fat person in the body,youve got to drive the strike in much deeper than you would with a normal person,to create the same effect.
heres a clip where im teaching this and experimenting a little with taking punches to the body, the punch I took blind folded was no were near as hard as the one I took ready full on.it also shows the different effect of the type of snap you put on the end.

HOW TO PUNCH THE BODY HARD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzozD6nhZg

Wow can I buy your DVD for 49.99??

If you don't see a punch coming then it hurts more. This is well understood.

You have an axe to grind and that's cool. We all have predispositions that others can find distasteful, so please take what I say with a pinch of salt as my response is likely just a clash of such tendencies.

You use the word shockwave, this is akin to holistic therapies using the word energy. It is entirely unsubstantiated belief and as such cannot be considered convincing in any rational debate. Also when you demonstrate techniques effectiveness with the evidence being the reaction of yourself or a willing acolyte you show nothing other than participants willing to roll play.

I'm aware you may not be trying to convince me of your beliefs. If that's the case then ignore me please.

If however your repeated proselytisation of your unsubstantiated beliefs is indeed an effort to elucidate or convince others I can give you the advice I provide anti abortionists. That in logical, secular discourse, the only way to achieve meaningful headway is to provide a position based on quantifiable repeatable evidence and not belief. The repetition of belief will only ever convince the weak and willing.

The liver shot is my favorite punch and I've managed to drop beefhead ex bodybuilders with them, the floating ribs and the liver have very little muscle protection so in my experience it doesn't matter whether they have more muscles there or not. If you get proper torque and dig the punch in deep with most importantly good timing and precision they're gonna be hurt.

What does matter is mental fortitude and tolerance to pain with liver shots, some dudes fold whilst others manage to fight through the crippling pain throughout the round (never could do that myself)

If you target the abdomen it does matter to have a strong core as it does protect, but being hit whilst exhaling or inhaling significantly reduces the effectiveness of the "armor". Still though it does help to have a strong sheet of muscle on ur abdomen, but these muscles wont help much against a proper liver punch imo.

Wow can I buy your DVD for 49.99??

If you don't see a punch coming then it hurts more. This is well understood.

You have an axe to grind and that's cool. We all have predispositions that others can find distasteful, so please take what I say with a pinch of salt as my response is likely just a clash of such tendencies.

You use the word shockwave, this is akin to holistic therapies using the word energy. It is entirely unsubstantiated belief and as such cannot be considered convincing in any rational debate. Also when you demonstrate techniques effectiveness with the evidence being the reaction of yourself or a willing acolyte you show nothing other than participants willing to roll play.

I'm aware you may not be trying to convince me of your beliefs. If that's the case then ignore me please.

If however your repeated proselytisation of your unsubstantiated beliefs is indeed an effort to elucidate or convince others I can give you the advice I provide anti abortionists. That in logical, secular discourse, the only way to achieve meaningful headway is to provide a position based on quantifiable repeatable evidence and not belief. The repetition of belief will only ever convince the weak and willing.

My teaching is solidly based on empirical evidence just like my response.

Empirical =based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.
If I was trying to rip people off I wouldn’t be charging "

Last edited:
When I was training kick boxing - we would smack each other in the gut with a Thai pad. Everyone new couldn't handle it. As we built up, there was a noticeable ability to exhale without flinching and to push out the obliques in that area. It depends a lot on conditioning, if you get hit there a lot then you won't fall as easily. But the area will be weaker due to poor liver or kidney health.
Boxers should be able to pitch in on this too as they spend a lot of time in the pocket trading bodyshots.

Karl, please be cautious as people may interpret your posts as a plug for financial gain...
as in, I interpret some of your posts as having an indirect relation to your product...
as in, I'm reporting you

image.png

Also when you demonstrate techniques effectiveness with the evidence being the reaction of yourself or a willing acolyte you show nothing other than participants willing to roll play.
I understand your videos contain wordier explanations of what you're trying to say, Karl...

But srsly... this ^^

find live examples.

3. You’re not... fully understanding the kinetic chain.

You also have yet to demonstrate and understanding of what a kinetic chain is by name. Would you like me to post the definition or do you want to Google it yourself?

Last edited:
The liver shot is my favorite punch and I've managed to drop beefhead ex bodybuilders with them, the floating ribs and the liver have very little muscle protection so in my experience it doesn't matter whether they have more muscles there or not. If you get proper torque and dig the punch in deep with most importantly good timing and precision they're gonna be hurt.

Post vid or gtfo and
False... the transverse abdominus covers the midsection equally, where the obliques stop the front abdominals start. There's a seam, but not a huge gap of missing muscle. Unless you'd care to prove.

being hit whilst exhaling or inhaling significantly reduces the effectiveness of the "armor".

False, exhalation usually occurs during high levels of tension... hence the hissing noise made during punches.

Empirical =based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.
If I was trying to rip people off I wouldn

"empirical evidence" = jack shit, until athletes participating in combat sports are scored/judged on essay's or fill in the blank tests. So long as they are judged on W vs. L records....... well........ "theorizing" about being the next champ isn't gonna cut it.

Boxrec/record/practical application in the ring = proven effective, applicable & practical knowledge........ so?

Why don’t you empty your cup a little, put up a clip of you throwing some body shots, and I’ll explain exactly where you could improve your own personal shockwave training, can’t say fair than that.

Please provide the same, only give applicable demonstration that can prove meaningful in the context of the athletes your trying to sell this too. (punching a middle aged guy in the closet doesn't count, some things should be "kept in the closet").

Further, what you've spent all this time "theorizing" and describing as the "shockwave" can simply be summed up and practically applied by learning to "follow through" or "turn over" your punches.

I don't mean to be abrasive, but seeking to profit by teaching theory that you can't substantiate with anything more than the "closet" combat you've demonstrated is kinda like learning foreplay from a nun because she gave a handjob before joining the convent........

Last edited:
karl, when you demonstrate a harder punch, the frequency of your punches goes down. It looks like you are trying to hit harder. It might look better if you get a metronome or something and make sure you are hitting as often between weak and hard punches, so that it is clear you aren't just winding up.

For CPR, people use "Stayin' Alive." You could try singing it to yourself. Ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive, ah ah ah ah.

Muscle is hard, or dense. It makes sense that it would be harder to " hurt" someone with a body shot that is built. However, all that muscle is hard on the body when compared to fat, so more oxygen is required. Even a few body punches or kicks are effecting his/her ability to recover.

Back