Are Boxing fans more intelligent than MMA fans

You don't see boxing fans boo a fight go to decision.
Boxing fans don't not watch a fight because the guys are under 5'7, infact they almost embrace the manlets over there more than heavyweights etc.
Discuss

They don't boo a fight that went to the decision because that's just the reality. There's only way to finish the fight in boxing. There's a KO and the losers corner throwing in the towel. In MMA there's so many ways to finish the fight, KO, corner stoppage, submission and most importantly arbitrary af referee stoppages. There's also so many more ways to KO someone than just hitting someone in the face. Didn't even bring up the larger gloves which cushion the impact of hits. So UFC fans are used to getting finishes, boxing fans are not, most big boxing fights go the distance.

You are kind of right about the size thing. But it must be remembered boxing is the sport that created the whole "bigger is betterer" idea where the HW title is the major leagues and everything else is the minors. They only departed from that idea a few decades ago(when HW started to suck and the other divisions got good) before that boxing fans had the same mentality. Also MMA fans typically leave their hate for just the smallest division, cause it's the smallest one. 145 and 135 got the same treatment 125 did but now have more fan acceptance. The smallest boxing divisions are not really talked about either, the focus just isn't on HW(and honestly it's returning to HW).

It's full of fans who got rich by being in front a camera and bringing a shoulder trophy. They don't know what they're watching. Wearing white fur coats to sit ringside to blood and sweat.

Boxing fans also think boxing is high level fighting. So they aren't the brightest cookies in the shed.

As someone who has been a big fan of both boxing and MMA since I was kid, elite boxing matches are generally fought at a much higher skill and talent and strategy level to MMA, and tbh it's not even close. MMA gives me fun and excitement and instant gratification, and I love it. Boxing gives me a fight with a level of skill and subtlety you almost never see in MMA. The level of defense, creative offense, and strategy is on another level. Not to mention the talent level of elite boxers, who have fought their way through a MUCH deeper pool. The speed, power, and stamina is levels higher than MMA.

Your first sentence shows how ignorant you are about boxing fans, the people you describe probably constitute what, 0.1% of boxing fans at best.

As someone who has been a big fan of both boxing and MMA since I was kid, elite boxing matches are generally fought at a much higher skill and talent and strategy level to MMA, and tbh it's not even close. MMA gives me fun and excitement and instant gratification, and I love it. Boxing gives me a fight with a level of skill and subtlety you almost never see in MMA. The level of defense, creative offense, and strategy is on another level. Not to mention the talent level of elite boxers, who have fought their way through a MUCH deeper pool. The speed, power, and stamina is levels higher than MMA.

Your first sentence shows how ignorant you are about boxing fans, the people you describe probably constitute what, 0.1% of boxing fans at best.

It's fighting dumbed down to 1/4 of hit zones that can be covered with pillows on hands. It's limited and not on some elite unseen level. Got heavy weights trying to dance away from a fight while the other one couldn't hit an iceberg in the Titanic

It’s true, MMA is a new sport and thus, the smaller purses attract the commensurate athletes.

When you get paid $ 5, 000,000 per fight, then you will see athletes who don’t gas so easily despite high output. You see a depth where both fighters are very aware of all the traps and strategies. There isn’t such a monumental gap in technique and athleticism.

In MMA it happens, but not that often. It’s a thing of beauty when two MMA fighters demonstrate solid games and good gas tanks.

Boxing fans dress up and think they're all classy intelligent mobsters.

Bunch of actual f******

boxing > mma but if you want mma-level stupidity just look at anthony joshua and tyson fury fans

Boxing fans don't not watch a fight because the guys are under 5'7, infact they almost embrace the manlets over there more than heavyweights etc.
Discuss
yes

infinitely more so

but boxing has been around for a long time, so

It's far more deeply ingrained Into the cultural norm

no shocker

I know I'm going to get flamed, but I think the average MMA fan is slightly more intelligent than the average boxing, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL and NASCAR fan. However, while the other sports have stabilized, the intelligence of the average MMA fan continues to trend down.
lol

This..

It's insane.. even mma fans calls it a nische sport with c-b level fighters who are to dumb to do anything else.. if you lose you're an absolute can, there can only be one good fighter in each division, the rest are journeymen at best and deserves to be mocked.. they also turn in to watch people lose in the most humiliating fashion instead of celebrating good fights and warriors..

What the shit is that.. just don't fucking watch if it's that bad..

And no, boxing fans aren't smarter, it's just an easier sport to grasp..
High level boxing being easier to grasp?

not so sure about that

Nope. But they do have more annoying "purists" who defend awful, awful incredibly boring boxing matches due to "technical skill" and what not. Those are the worst fans.
lol, this is what casuals say when they don't have the knowledge to appreciate a technical chess match

Go on the biggest boxing forum and just see how every little thing is dictated by race and then tell me boxing fans are more intelligent. For the most part fans in general are typically dumb.

I will say listening to mma fan's at an event is far worse with the constant booing and Rick flair woo's every time women fight

This is true. I used to post on ESB back in the day where it was basically just blacks/mexicans/puerto ricans going at it in the main subforum. I will say though, the average boxing fan on there knew A LOT more about the history of boxing and past greats than MMA fans. The classic boxing and dream match up sub forums always had great discussion.

This is true. I used to post on ESB back in the day where it was basically just blacks/mexicans/puerto ricans going at it in the main subforum. I will say though, the average boxing fan on there knew A LOT more about the history of boxing and past greats than MMA fans. The classic boxing and dream match up sub forums always had great discussion.
100% a lot of boxing fans no their shit and are typically more knowledgeable on the sport, more so than your typical mma fan.But EVERYTHING turns into a full on race war. It's the strangest thing

Boxing fans are often smarter yes.

A lot of dumb people in the mma scene.

It's fighting dumbed down to 1/4 of hit zones that can be covered with pillows on hands. It's limited and not on some elite unseen level. Got heavy weights trying to dance away from a fight while the other one couldn't hit an iceberg in the Titanic

Tbh I don't like heavyweights at all. I like Fedor and Tyson, as they were both explosive and fun to watch and I respected their ability to obliterate much larger opponents.

But what you're saying is blatantly untrue. Dance away and be unable to hit? Why don't you actually watch some recent HW fights like Wlad - Joshua, Wilder - Ortiz, Fury - Wilder. They were solid fights, with a level of skill and talent that trounces MMA heavyweights fights. If you want a shit HW fight, look no further than Francis Vs Black Beast, or even half the HW UFC fights that have happened recently. Bunch of fucking sloppy oafs with no skill, no talent, no stamina.

The restricted hit zones are partly what makes boxing fascinating and forces creative offense. If someone is turtling in boxing, it's MUCH harder to open them up and get some offense going, as you can't leg kick them, you can't take them down, you can't really grab and clinch etc. So it takes clever and sophisticated setups to actually open someone up and launch significant offense. That's part of the beauty of it, the skill and craft that elite boxers have to actually land shots against opponents with defence and footwork that is far superior to anything you see in MMA.

It’s true, MMA is a new sport and thus, the smaller purses attract the commensurate athletes.

When you get paid $ 5, 000,000 per fight, then you will see athletes who don’t gas so easily despite high output. You see a depth where both fighters are very aware of all the traps and strategies. There isn’t such a monumental gap in technique and athleticism.

In MMA it happens, but not that often. It’s a thing of beauty when two MMA fighters demonstrate solid games and good gas tanks.

Yeah I would agree with most of that actually, obviously it's not a fair comparison because of how much older boxing is.

I would disagree with the technique and athleticism though, I mean, Pillowfists McGregory is considered highly athletic in MMA, with good technique. Just look ffs :D

Against a 40 year old with about 25% of the athleticism he used to have, no less.

KlutzyLegalEmperorshrimp-small.gif

aosECR9.gif

I agree with you it's a thing of beauty to watch skilled MMA fighters with good gas tanks. It's why I'm a big fan of Max 2.0, also Tony, and though I'm not exactly a fan, I do very much appreciate Jones' level of skill and craft.

Discuss
Dumb question.

The REAL question is "Are Fight fans smarter then NFL fans?"
The answer is a very obvious, Yes. btw.

What is this forums fascination with boxing? Fuck boxing

But yeah Boxing fans tend to be a lot smarter than MMA fans. MMA fans are far more emotional.

Back