Are ground fighting skills ever applicable in a real fight?

So, if you can put somebody down with a strike to the liver or solar plexus, why shouldn't a sudden pressure with a pointed elbow to these point where you put on force and bodyweight due to leverage from a crossover grip manage to open up the guard a bit so you can pass? I have made it hundred of times throughout the years also against decent BJJ practitioners.

I think you are onto something.
Using pointed elbow to open the guard of decent BJJ practioners.

Pressure points...the great equalizer.

lol

Irony I suppose? It's a bit more to it as with all techniques, sometimes it can also be used as a setup when voluntarily climbing into a triangle from the guard. If you get the leverage and a solid instant pressure into the solarus plexus then you can dive under the legs. It's a little risky though and must be timed well, right before the triangle is fully locked in.

Irony I suppose? It's a bit more to it as with all techniques, sometimes it can also be used as a setup when voluntarily climbing into a triangle from the guard. If you get the leverage and a solid instant pressure into the solarus plexus then you can dive under the legs. It's a little risky though and must be timed well, right before the triangle is fully locked in.

No it is not irony.

You are a five Dan judoka.

Pressure points...the great equalizer.

lol

One time I was rolling with this dude and keep trying to poke me.

I thought he was a newbie spazxing but after he admitted trying to do pressure points.

I still don't feel convinced. Has anyone heard of Fairbairn or Rex Applegate? These were two experts at grappling and judo techniques, yet when pressed by the British and US militaries to develop hand-to-hand combat, they and their colleagues felt that grappling was useless and even dangerous. It was their teaching that, if you're ever tackled down by an enemy combatant, you need to bite with the intention of ripping off meat while attacking the vulnerable spots. These were hardcore guys who had a lot of fighting experience and even though they were master grapplers they viewed it as sport.

And yet current military combatives look basically nothing like this. You may be cherry-picking your examples a bit.

Against no bodies, LOL!

The grappling myth is based on an LAPD study about how to cuff a resisting perp, not anything close to fights going to the ground. The only shred of truth is a little over half the fights where won by the guy who landed on top.

https://martialarts.stackexchange.c...fights-end-on-the-ground-what-is-the-evidence
that survey means nothing because we are talking about purposely taking the fight to the ground.

Against "nobodies"? That's ok, who are you expecting to fight?

I didn't read this thread, but I can't believe that in 2016 any thread with a title like this is anything but a troll thread.

Never. I have personally never seen anyone on the ground in real life, not even to lie down or to sit or anything, and certainly not in any kind of aggressive confrontation which inevitably always ends up with people standing, then shaking hands over the gentlemanly physical contest fought under the marquess of queensberry that had just ensued.

the best possible move in a street fight is to de-escalate the situation until you can have a buddy sneak up behind your attacker, get into turtle position, and table-top the shit out of the dude!

I actually pulled off a tabletop at a party once. dude got in my face over a beer pong match, and I just shoved him over the table FTW.

all kidding aside, go to an mma gym, challenge someone to spar, and tell us how you feel when you get put on your back and have no idea how to get up/out

Of course, many times in the street fight the fight can go to the ground and it is easier to outgrapple someone who doesn't train than outstrike.

It is no secrets that gangs need to train and learn how to fight. They use friendly gyms to poach and attract their hang around.

Back to the topic, I have sparred with strikes. Just big gloves like 16 ounces.
Once under the mount, the ground and pound was vicious. It felt like going under a big wave just to get hit again and again. I was hopeless. People that think you could do something intelligent are deluded. Imagine if it was just mma gloves. Once you experience the ground and pound, you have a better respect for the mma fighter. We always talk about how you could do this or do that but the reality is so different. You will break and give your back or tap out just like a white belt. No time for biting or grabbing stuff. It is like you are drowning and the next hit wakes you up.

But in real life there is no tapping.

If you train karate to protect yourself then be all around and learn some grappling.

Wait a second...you are talking about how helpless you were being mounted and how you can't tap in real life, and your solution is something OTHER THAN prioritizing grappling?!?

And yet current military combatives look basically nothing like this. You may be cherry-picking your examples a bit.
You are right. No recent UFC fights have ever been won using grappling. They don't even learn it anymore. It's useless!

I've been doing bjj for 4 yrs now, and i don't really train it for self defense but for sport
anyways a few years ago i got into a street fight with a random dude i got the mount on him and put an ezekiel choke on him and he proceeded to grab my balls (in hurt a lot pretty sure i thought they popped). basically i was going to let the guy go after i choked him out but after he did that, after he was unconscious i got up and soccer kicked him in the groin like 4 times then i left to go ice my balls.

so maybe your dirty tactics will work idk, or you might just make things a lot worse for you

I've been doing bjj for 4 yrs now, and i don't really train it for self defense but for sport
anyways a few years ago i got into a street fight with a random dude i got the mount on him and put an ezekiel choke on him and he proceeded to grab my balls (in hurt a lot pretty sure i thought they popped). basically i was going to let the guy go after i choked him out but after he did that, after he was unconscious i got up and soccer kicked him in the groin like 4 times then i left to go ice my balls.

so maybe your dirty tactics will work idk, or you might just make things a lot worse for you

Lmao, what an image that is

Definitely a sig worthy sentence

Wouldn't be the first time a Sherbro passed due to pointy elbows...

I'll bite.

I always wonder about that, biting. I actually just did it to myself just now as I am reading this thread. It does hurt. But I dont know if it is just me, or if clothing will block it.

With all due respect, I watched your video and I'm not convinced. They look like buddies wrestling around. If that was a legitimate fight, the guy on top could have easily thrust his thumbs into the opponents eyes and with significant strength if he wanted to.

Also, the guy on the ground had his balls in the other guy's face most of the time. It doesn't take a lot of effort to rip off an opponent's balls, especially if you're fighting not to "win" but to survive.

So, what would you have done on the bottom when the top opponent is punching you in the face from that position.

Don't say eye gouge or bite, as those are not legitimate tactics in that position. Nor is ball punching. Not feasible.

Back