Are other countries aware of the protests happening in Ireland?

We pay for use in Canada. Water charge is ridiculous too considering we have the worlds largest supply of frest water. When it comes to supply vs. demand we are getting hosed.

You're paying for the service so you have to look at infrastructure costs. If the water is going further distances and uphill it costs more. If the price of power goes up it costs more. Amount of water probably matters more in terms of proximity than traditional supply & demand market forces.

I'm in Wales and this is the first I've heard of it. Take their heads clean off.

Haven't they now capped the charge per household, meaning the metres are redundant? Yet still being paid for?

How much will you pay? Average domestic bill here (Adelaide, South Australia) is $1362 (AUD) per year.
$282.80 for supply, then tiered charges per kilolitre ($2.32, $3.32 or $3.59) depending on whether you've exceeded the quarterly thresholds for each tier (tier 1 is up to 30kL a quarter, tier 2 30-130 kl and tier 3 anything above that).

How much will you pay? Average domestic bill here (Adelaide, South Australia) is $1362 (AUD) per year.

Not sure that the water bills for a country that is about a quarter desert and one where it rains practically every day is a worthwhile comparison!

Not sure that the water bills for a country that is about a quarter desert and one where it rains practically every day is a worthwhile comparison!

Driest state on the driest continent they tell me (not counting Antartica), but it's not priced according to availability or to discourage waste. We have local dams, reservoirs and a federally funded desalination plant. South Australia is the most expensive state, but it's simply because the state government gouges us.

Last edited:
South Australia is the most expensive state, but it's simply because the state government gouges us.

An average water bill in Ireland is around 440 AUD (300 EUR).

An average water bill in Ireland is around 440 AUD (300 EUR).

We will also have to pay them a flat fee of 500 euro for them to install the meter that nobody wants. A standard household will be charged 278 euro once it's installed. Then we also have to pay the standard income tax that is already paying for the water and the percentage of the road tax that goes toward maintaining the pipe lines. Basically the fucking water is already being paid for through taxes we already have so the extra money likely won't even be going on the water. The charge could easily reach a grand by the end of the year.

I thought Ireland was having a tech boom, how is that not generating wages and tax revenue?

So water is being "paid for" at 1977 rate/demand levels? Could it be that the money collected from those means no longer covers the costs of the water usage anymore?

I thought Ireland was having a tech boom, how is that not generating wages and tax revenue?

The idea that a tech boom will create more jobs is something of a myth. The most common jobs in Western countries are the same ones that were around centuries ago and jobs created by advances in technology are pretty marginal.

screen%20shot%202014-04-01%20at%2010.04.10%20am.jpg

If you meant the tech boom should make money for the government, then well, that's pretty much pissing cash down a sink hole. Once upon a time Ireland was among the richest countries in Europe. The Irish goverment did fuck all with that money. What's worse is that nobody seems quite sure where it vanished to after 2008 or even if it existed in the first place.

Last edited:
Once upon a time Ireland was among the richest countries in Europe.

I don't think this is correct, unless your definition of 'among the richest' is way off.

I wasn't aware of that, but they do shit like that in the ever growing autocracy of America, so that makes it ok.

I don't think this is correct, unless your definition of 'among the richest' is way off.

I'm working off memory but I'm fairly certain something like that was trumpeted a lot during the celtic tiger.

I'm working off memory but I'm fairly certain something like that was trumpeted a lot during the celtic tiger.

As far as I'm aware, it's never been top 3. I could be wrong, though. Currently, Irish GDP is around 1% of the EU economy.

If you meant the tech boom should make money for the government, then well, that's pretty much pissing cash down a sink hole. Once upon a time Ireland was among the richest countries in Europe. The Irish goverment did fuck all with that money. What's worse is that nobody seems quite sure where it vanished to after 2008 or even if it existed in the first place.

The banking cartel has developed clever ways of creating these sink holes that lead into their pockets. They can create the currency, and they can extract wealth. Getting people in debt (including governments) is a great way to grant leverage.

Patsys in government work for them.

Last edited:
Here's a fun little twist to this situation. Two years ago Ireland passed a bill allowing for the state to remove children from impoverished homes that they deem unfit via private tribunal, the process of which will never be released, even to the parents. People who don't pay their water bill will be classed as unable to look after their kids and can have their children taken into state care.

Costs money to make it potable and deliver it to your house.

I'm on a well so I can't really sympathize.

Here's a fun little twist to this situation. Two years ago Ireland passed a bill allowing for the state to remove children from impoverished homes that they deem unfit via private tribunal, the process of which will never be released, even to the parents. People who don't pay their water bill will be classed as unable to look after their kids and can have their children taken into state care.

That's a bit fucked.

We pay for use in Canada. Water charge is ridiculous too considering we have the worlds largest supply of frest water. When it comes to supply vs. demand we are getting hosed.

Hosing the hosers

Back