Are realistic driving sims playable without buying a wheel?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I havent really played a racing "sim" since probably Gran Turismo 2 on PS1. I've been looking at project cars 2 or Gran Turismo sport and everyone I see online is using a steering wheel. I don't plan on getting that into it but if they are as realistic as they say I could see them being too difficult with s standard controller. Opinions?

Also I downloaded a formula 1 game for free off of ps network a few years ago and it was impossible to play

They are perfectly playable, but they are so much better with a wheel setup, as they are super realistic games(Project Cars 2 at least).

I play PC2, but i dont have a wheel, but i can imagine with one it would so much better, but it all depends on how much you want to invest in a game

And Gran Turismo 2 was not a 'sim' in the slightest, it may have been at the time, but not any more

I passed quite a few of Gran Turismo's stupidly difficult licensing tests using a normal PS1/PS2 analog stick controller. Nevermind the fact I gave up on a PS2 Gran Turismo because I couldn't win using beginner cars to unlock more cars and tracks.

Check out craigslist in you area for a wheel. I can find budget wheels in my area for $40.

Games like Asetto Corsa and Project Cars are a lot better with a wheel and pedal system.

Games like Forza Horizon and NFS are fine with controllers but certainly better with a wheel.

A few years ago I was at a games conference and they had a set up for the f1 game that was coming out that year, it was essentialy a reconstruction of a racing car cockpit. It responded to everything that was happening. If you clipped the dirt with a wheel it responded how you'd imagine a real f1 car would. If you like racing games I'd recommend giving one ago if you can.

Kind of like this

images

But a full cockpit rather than just a seat.

I can admire people who have built elaborate rigs with actual racing seats and whatnot...but I'll never dump that kinda money into something like that myself. A controller is good enough for me.

I play pcars2 with a controller sometimes if I don't feel like getting the wheel out. With the wheel and VR headset it's a completely different thing though.

Well, I'm not a big sim racer, but Project Cars made me want to give up on life playing it with a controller.
Forza's fine to me, but that's more of a simcade racer I guess ...

Of course they are playable. They're just so damn boring, that you actually need a nice wheel/pedal setup to enjoy them.

So I bought pc1 for $20 to test the waters on a Sim with a controller and I got to say it's pretty difficult. Hardest part seems to be throttling brake and gas pedal with the triggers not the steering. I'm on PS4.

I think my Apple News feed for 3D printing had an article showing a 3D printed wheel and gear attachment for XBOX controller where turning the wheel advanced the gear which pressed the D-Pad.

Back