Are stacked PPVs worth having weaker Fight Night Cards?

Stacked Spectacular PPVs would be the priority.

Then -- Demo the Apex and build a 5k Tech Friendly Colosseum with cheap seats for the grateful masses (Sherdoggers) and their families.

I'll get Season Tickets to watch, eat Beef Ribs and Turkey Drumsticks, hurl beer and insults, Boo, Applaud the LCD entertainment.

The emerging talent will get their recognition and fanfare -- whilst the old headliners have one more chance on stage (like old rockstars).

Low Energy Apex needs to go.

FN's are supposed to be for the no name to gain exposure. We have weekly events now, you can't balance it all out. This probably has more to do with ESPN wanting content to fill their Plus offering. Boxing has been doing the same for years.

Last edited:

Then -- Demo the Apex and build a 5k Tech Friendly Colosseum with cheap seats for the grateful masses (Sherdoggers) and their families.

I'll get Season Tickets to watch, eat Beef Ribs and Turkey Drumsticks, hurl beer and insults, Boo, Applaud the LCD entertainment.

The emerging talent will get their recognition and fanfare -- whilst the old headliners have one more chance on stage (like old rockstars).

Sounds like you'd love going to a Power Slap event fam

I feel like they finally got the Fight Night format right with this week's card:

Heavyweight: Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Shamil Gaziev
Light Heavyweight: Vitor Petrino vs. Tyson Pedro
Flyweight: Alex Perez vs. Muhammad Mokaev
Bantamweight: Umar Nurmagomedov vs. Bekzat Almakhan
Flyweight: Matt Schnell vs. Steve Erceg

Almost all vet/bottom half top 10 vs. prospect trying to break in to the rankings.

PPV main cards should never be anything less than top 10s or huge names.

"Stacked" ppvs aren't what waters down Fight Night cards. The UFC only puts on a few stacked PPVs per year, and there's more than enough talent to stack the 40+ cards the UFC puts on.

I'd say the biggest reason that so many cards are watered down (Fight Nights and PPVs) is that most of the top fighters are inactive. People tend to blame the fighters for cherry-picking and squatting on their rankings, which is true for some guys. But the bigger issue is that the UFC shelves fighters who actually want to fight. It's more cost-effective to fill cards with cheap regional fighters, especially on Fight Nights where there's less incentive to deliver big ratings (they'll get the ESPN dollars regardless).

I really don't get how fans of mma want less mma

Just watch the fights you want.

You want a personal massage while watching too?

I don't think it has to be that way. Between like 2007-2016ish we regularly had stacked UFC cards. They seem to be purposefully putting out weaker cards since the Reebok deal and it got worse when WME bought the UFC.

I don't think it has to be that way. Between like 2007-2016ish we regularly had stacked UFC cards. They seem to be purposefully putting out weaker cards since the Reebok deal and it got worse when WME bought the UFC.

Rose tinted glasses I think. There's always been a lot of shit cards.

I prefer having more stacked PPV cards, its something to look forward to and build up and get hyped about. Its awesome when you have a great card. The PPV events are supposed to be special and supposed to make you not want to miss it.

They were also doing like 10ish less cards a year during a lot of those years. I also think with the apex there’s no need to sell tickets thus they don’t have to stack a large portion of the cards.

Rose tinted glasses I think. There's always been a lot of shit cards.
I don't think that's true, before the Reebok era there was a lot more stars in the UFC and they marketed the fights/fighters more. Ever since then they market the UFC more than they do the fights/fighters. Where are the new versions of guys like Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher? There's almost no mid level guys that are big names anymore, that kind of fighter is a lot more rare now a days.

For me as a non buyer doesnt make much difference honestly, im in a non PPV market anyway, i have cable and i can watch there, as long as i get the fights i want makes no difference, some fights do feel like they belong in the apex, the good stuff goes with a packed arena.

They were also doing like 10ish less cards a year during a lot of those years. I also think with the apex there’s no need to sell tickets thus they don’t have to stack a large portion of the cards.
I wouldn't mind less cards for more quality. I think part of the issue is they don't market the fighters as much as they used to. There's a lot less countdown shows relative to how many cards there are and a lot less mid level guys that are well known than there used to be.

Fight Nights and PPV should have a balance more similar to how it used to be in zuffa era.

Example per every loaded ppv card give an incentive to pay top 15 fighters more than normal that can headline a FN after that ppv. Make it a purpose to be out on the road with FN's. Also make sure the FN main cards are filled with name value fighters that are either on the rebound after a loss or streaking into the top 20.

Balance is key. But you have to put up the dollars to make these fighters with name value want to fight on a main card for FN. You can have exciting young prospects fill out the prelims and early prelims stay the way they are with almost cut and debuting fighters.

Since I don't watch all cards I rather have a stronger PPV.

I much prefer MMA as an “event” sport with big tentpole PPVs than a weekly sport like football or something.

Back