Are summer tournaments tougher?

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
just wondering because i've never competed in the summer before.
are there more quality wrestlers with all the guys from college and high school wrestling teams being offseason?
figure a lot of kids have more time to train in the summer too.

so do you feel the level of competition goes up in the summer time?

Just based on my few experiences, I wouldn't say they are tougher in that way.

There are generally more competitors, at least where I've been, for summer competitions and that means more matches to win or place. It can require more endurance. At the same time, I'd say that there is not a huge spike of talent. Those with talent compete year around and the ones that drop in simply based on a free summer....they are highlight fodder, mostly.

A lot of people have more time to train in the summer, especially college/high school students so they are better prepared.

There are generally more competitors, at least where I've been, for summer competitions and that means more matches to win or place.

i don't understand that, it's a tournament bracket, it's always 4 matches isn't it?

i don't understand that, it's a tournament bracket, it's always 4 matches isn't it?

Nope. Depending on how many competitors there are, it's possible to have more than 4. 4 matches would be true for 16 competitors.

Double-elimination tournaments can be calculated based on the amount of competitors (as in, # of competitors = 2^x where x is the amount of matches necessary to win.) For example, let's say there's 64 competitors. That means you'd have 6 matches to win.

Nope. Depending on how many competitors there are, it's possible to have more than 4. 4 matches would be true for 16 competitors.

Double-elimination tournaments can be calculated based on the amount of competitors (as in, # of competitors = 2^x where x is the amount of matches necessary to win.) For example, let's say there's 64 competitors. That means you'd have 6 matches to win.

6 matches?! that's fucking insane, especially in gi, i've never seen that happen though or double elimination (does naga or grapplers quest ever do that)?

No. That would assume that they limited the numbers of people or that enough people always show up for every one to have 4 matches.

I've had as few as two and as many as six.

6 matches?! that's fucking insane, especially in gi, i've never seen that happen though or double elimination (does naga or grapplers quest ever do that)?

Yeah it is insane. When I was a blue belt I did a grapplers quest where I had to do 7 fights. I didnt get done until after 1:30 am. Grapplers Quest and Naga are always single elimination. I've had to do any where from 2 to 7 matches in competitions.

damn hope i get a bye again lol no way i can go over 5 right now

A lot of people have more time to train in the summer, especially college/high school students so they are better prepared.

I actually have less time to train in the summer due to me taking a full schedule of summer classes. :icon_sad:

I actually have less time to train in the summer due to me taking a full schedule of summer classes. :icon_sad:

well that's prob not the norm and i'm more concerned about like div 1 wrestlers who do wrestling year around but might wanna fuck around with bjj in the summer entering the tourney

I typically do 2 tournaments a month through out the year and I have never noticed a difference.

Back