Are there actually any cases of "you can't win in thailand unless you get a KO"?

this is a good example of what I'm talking about, although Don Wilson dominated his Thai opponent with boxing and clearly won the beginning and the end of the fight samart was able to score a couple "knock downs" because the referee was so biased against Don! I agree with one of them as a legitimate knocked down but everything else was a complete BS followed by the world's quickest count LOL, if it's true that Don was forced to cut 8 lbs the day of the fight there's definitely something up! I noticed Don got hit in his Dragon Balls a few times as well LOL.
At the very best this fight could have been ruled a draw but those BS knockdowns somehow gave Samart the win although his face caught the majority of the blows thrown in the fight and he was clearly wobbled in the last round, it'd be cool to see an unedited version of this fight but it's a good example of down-home corruption as this fight definitely would have been ruled a draw or a win for Wilson if it have been held in California.

Actually I haven't had an excuse to watch classic Muay Thai in a while so I'm kind of looking forward to it but I'm on 12-hour shifts at work so it's going to be my weekend. I've had this argument a million times and I know what you guys are going to say. You always run back to the nebulous scoring criteria of whether or not the leg kick knocked your opponent off-balance while conveniently ignoring the dozens of punches to the face. I haven't watched Muay Thai with any regularity since ramon dekkars and Danny Bill fought so I don't know what's going on in the modern era but back in those days Thai judging was notoriously biased
Leg kicks are low scoring in Muay Thai. Again you know nothing.

You just admitted that there is no difference between Thailand and everywhere else giving "hometown decisions" in your past post and now your back on Thailand being "notoriously bad" so what is it?

this is a good example of what I'm talking about, although Don Wilson dominated his Thai opponent with boxing and clearly won the beginning and the end of the fight samart was able to score a couple "knock downs" because the referee was so biased against Don! I agree with one of them as a legitimate knocked down but everything else was a complete BS followed by the world's quickest count LOL, if it's true that Don was forced to cut 8 lbs the day of the fight there's definitely something up! I noticed Don got hit in his Dragon Balls a few times as well LOL.
At the very best this fight could have been ruled a draw but those BS knockdowns somehow gave Samart the win although his face caught the majority of the blows thrown in the fight and he was clearly wobbled in the last round, it'd be cool to see an unedited version of this fight but it's a good example of down-home corruption as this fight definitely would have been ruled a draw or a win for Wilson if it have been held in California.

Wilson gassed and did not score a lot of points. Samart outscored him. Nothing strange about this decision.

Leg kicks are low scoring in Muay Thai. Again you know nothing.

You just admitted that there is no difference between Thailand and everywhere else giving "hometown decisions" in your past post and now your back on Thailand being "notoriously bad" so what is it?
Thailand is notoriously bad at the common phenomena of Hometown decisions largely based in the fact that it's a third world country with a raging gambling economy.

*I understand muaythai scoring just fine

What did you think of the don wilson samart fight? Legit knockdowns?

Wilson gassed and did not score a lot of points. Samart outscored him. Nothing strange about this decision.
You think those "knockdowns" were "legit"?

Don Wilson clearly out punched him in the final round wobbling him... how is that "gassing"

(I'm hardly a "white belt")

My daughters are practicing karate. Not many know the 6th Dan has red or even white belt in some forms of karate. Look at this here on Sherdog! I used to have a black belt, now I have a red one. In several forms of karate 9th or 10th Dan (highest ranks) wears a "red" belt.

Just saying it"s really confusing because of movies but not only, also because of the generality, but sometimes "white" can belong to a big 6th Dan. :) On Sherdog not really, just that red ranks higher than black.

I think also in judo is this classification.

My daughters are practicing karate. Not many know the 6th Dan has red or even white belt in some forms of karate. Look at this here on Sherdog! I used to have a black belt, now I have a red one. In several forms of karate 9th or 10th Dan (highest ranks) wears a "red" belt.

Just saying it"s really confusing because of movies but not only, also because of the generality, but sometimes "white" can belong to a big 6th Dan. :) On Sherdog not really, just that red ranks higher than black.

I think also in judo is this classification.
I remember the most romantic classical interpretation was that your black belt was so old that it had finally turned white as all the dye had faded through Decades of hard work dedication and sacrifice. My first martial art was Judo and that was in a rural mostly Asian society back in the late 70s. Belt ranking was extremely rudimentary and counted for quite a bit. fast forward a few decades later and I was amazed at the way the american for-profit martial arts industry had gassed up the belt ranking system to include all kinds of goofy stuff like stripes and New colors shoehorned into the old system.

I was a pretty staunch traditionalist back in the day and quite disgusted that people could show up and become a shodan in a year of relatively apathetic practice. This was especially hilarious in the American Karate gyms whose primary focus was point fighting and musical forms. I walked away disgusted long ago from the for-profit martial arts industry, thank God for kickboxing MMA and wrestling however it's always vexed me that Judo never went the sambo route and focused on pure sport.

Modern Belt ranking systems have never been a good indication of knowledge or skill...
A curious irony here on Sherdog to be certain

There's nothing controversial about this fight; you're hung up about it just because it's Thai vs Foreigner. If Wilson was Thai you wouldn't care at all about the supposed robbery.

Weigh ins are the day of the fight in Thailand...

Wow. Were you dropped on your head as a baby? You clearly have no idea of a)what you're watching and b)how Muay Thai is scored.

Even without the knockdowns that was an easy decision win for Samart, he clinch abused the shit out of Wilson for long stretches of the fight and had him ready to fall on several occasions. Don was completely beaten and it showed, he was completely gassed out with his hands on his knees and stumbling around the ring like he was drunk. Samart easily won that fight by a mile, if you think otherwise you're either ignorant, heavily biased to the point where your opinion is worthless, or a lying fuckface.

Wow. Were you dropped on your head as a baby? You clearly have no idea of a)what you're watching and b)how Muay Thai is scored.

Even without the knockdowns that was an easy decision win for Samart, he clinch abused the shit out of Wilson for long stretches of the fight and had him ready to fall on several occasions. Don was completely beaten and it showed, he was completely gassed out with his hands on his knees and stumbling around the ring like he was drunk. Samart easily won that fight by a mile, if you think otherwise you're either ignorant, heavily biased to the point where your opinion is worthless, or a lying fuckface.
My goodness that's some disgusting potty mouth

how do you feel about this fight?

There's nothing controversial about this fight; you're hung up about it just because it's Thai vs Foreigner. If Wilson was Thai you wouldn't care at all about the supposed robbery.

Weigh ins are the day of the fight in Thailand...
Well...

Wilson said they forced him to drop 8 pounds on the day of the fight and it's clear that he dominated the boxing AND landed the majority of the flashy kicks

You notice Sam stumble in the last round off that boxing Exchange?

What do you think about those knockdowns?

My goodness that's some disgusting potty mouth

how do you feel about this fight?

Right person won, it's clear to anyone who actually understands the sport.
If you think this is in any way comparable to the Don Wilson fight, you need to go sit back down at the kiddie table where you belong while the adults here are having a discussion.

Well the Danny Bill fight shows that the decisions are fair

Well the Danny Bill fight shows that the decisions are fair
Shows that you have to dominate your thai opponant to get a win

Just hitting them more like Don Wilson won't work

Right person won, it's clear to anyone who actually understands the sport.
If you think this is in any way comparable to the Don Wilson fight, you need to go sit back down at the kiddie table where you belong while the adults here are having a discussion.
What do you think of those knockdowns that got scored against Wilson?

What do you think of those knockdowns that got scored against Wilson?

Clean knockdowns. I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise. You might be able to argue the 2nd knockdown if Wilson had actually been putting up some resistance and hitting back instead of running for his life and covering up in the "please don't hit me!" posture.

Clean knockdowns. I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise. You might be able to argue the 2nd knockdown if Wilson had actually been putting up some resistance and hitting back instead of running for his life and covering up in the "please don't hit me!" posture.
I think he got hit in the Dragon Balls a couple times on that Exchange and you know damn good and well that would not have been called a knockdown in a straight thai vs Thai fight.

one was perfectly clean but the other two were a bit dodgy and that eight count was more like a three count but I give Thai boxing credit for keeping the protection count whereas other fight sports have abandoned it

What do you think about Don's accusation that they forced him to cut almost 10 lb the day of the fight

What do you think about Don's accusation that they forced him to cut almost 10 lb the day of the fight

Who knows? None of us can verify it either way so all we have is his claims.

And I still don't know why you're so hung up on this one Don Wilson fight when anyone who actually knows about the sport can easily name other fights where foreigners have a far better claim of being robbed.

Who knows? None of us can verify it either way so all we have is his claims.

And I still don't know why you're so hung up on this one Don Wilson fight when anyone who actually knows about the sport can easily name other fights where foreigners have a far better claim of being robbed.
I was 100% honest in that I haven't kept up with kickboxing since 93, I've only had the time to break away from MMA long enough to coach at the wrestling program but I remember entire articles about how badly foreigners were treated by Thai judges back in the day. Many fighters refused to fight Thais in Thailand. That's one of the reasons Benny urquidez usually fought them in Japan.

I remember some Fighters saying that they never expected to win a decision in the stadium because it would cause a riot but they could get it overturned later so they beat the Hasty retreat expediently.

Back