Are UFC events too long?

No. The main card is a lot shorter than it was a few years ago. It feels like they shaved 20-30 minutes off the solid three hours it usually took for the five fights to happen. Less promos and commercials in between the fights. It’s a lot better now. Some of those promos were really long and they weren’t always that exciting or fun to watch.

This is literally why they have a main card and prelims.

Jesus Christ.

NBA games are approximately 2 hours
NFL games are approximately 3 hours
Soccer games are approximately 2 hours
WWE is 3 hours

Would there be more excitement if UFC events were the main card only?
With a smaller roster, the UFC can put on more exciting fights, the fans will be more familiar with the fighters on each card, and they can use Fight Nights to showcase the younger, newer talent

What do you think sherbros ?

I understand UFC has contracts with ESPN for multiple channels and needs live content for UFC Fight pass, but I think it'll bring back a lot of the excitement for the UFC

This would only work if PPV became free on ESPN. The prelims are about selling the main event/reminding people it is one.

The bigger problem with UFC events is rather than moving to the fight when one finishes quickly they spend 20 minutes of filler to make sure they finish at the correct time in the prelims. A bunch of fast finishes leads to loads and loads of filler.

NBA games are approximately 2 hours
NFL games are approximately 3 hours
Soccer games are approximately 2 hours
WWE is 3 hours

Would there be more excitement if UFC events were the main card only?
With a smaller roster, the UFC can put on more exciting fights, the fans will be more familiar with the fighters on each card, and they can use Fight Nights to showcase the younger, newer talent

What do you think sherbros ?

I understand UFC has contracts with ESPN for multiple channels and needs live content for UFC Fight pass, but I think it'll bring back a lot of the excitement for the UFC

Just miss the prelims then easy

The fights aren't too long, but its the in-between that takes too long. If the UFC really wanted to be legit, they would have 2 cages. One cage is where the fight is, and then the following fight, takes place in the other cage, and it rotates between the two. So this way, when one fight ends, the next fight, can start right after.

I think the time duration of UFC events is fine, however, I could do without the walk-outs for the early prelims/prelims.

Go to break and then come back when they are getting the cage side examination.

Save the walk-outs for the main card.

Having to wait 20+ minutes between fights with fluff and garbage promos is what takes too long. Having to wait until 1AM on the east coast for the main event is what takes too long.

It's too long but it's even worse when you go to the event

No. I mean shit how long are lame ass major league baseball games

Europe over here so hardly ever watch cards live. That said, when I do Im amazed how long those things take, and how many commercials they cram down your throat. All of that after paying $100, USA is amazing.

No. I mean shit how long are lame ass major league baseball games

With the pitch clock this year they're down around 2 hours 40 minutes. Even baseball has taken steps to shorten the length of the games. Like others have said it's the pacing of UFC events that's the problem for me, not ther overall length or number of fights

I find a 6-7 hour event to be pretty long, but the problem isn't the amount of fights -- the problem is the promos and commercials between fights.

Everything is too long these days.

WWE is not three hours. Their shows are far too long now too.

No. But for me there are too many events.
Back in the day there was 1 a month and i knew many more fighters than today, i was excited for each event. Now i skip events.

I forgot about that since I don't watch baseball games used to be long ASF tho right ? 4-5 hours sometimes even

Yea, they were getting ridiculously long. They have the clock now and have limited how many times you can change pitchers to get it under control. I live in Massachusetts and red Sox Yankees games were going four hours plus regularly

For those that still have ESPN+ (I don't) you can go back and watch it the next day or a few days later and pick the exact fights that you want to watch. My friends do that and it works well for them.

The only big issue with that is when you see all the fights listed it shows how long the fight is so you know right away if the fight will go to a decision. If you hate decisions that's great but takes away the suspense when you know the fight is 6:47 long (for example) so there has to be a finish in the first round.

Back