Are UK fans the biggest homers in boxing?

Yes. We are the biggest homos as well.

In all seriousness though, yes theres definitely a lot of patriotic bias, but the UK carries more than its fair share for the sport for one market too, so its an okay tradeoff imo.

The UK can be heavily regionslised as well, many boxers realise the marketing sense of aligning with a football team. Proper purveyors of the sport don't give a fuck, but it's a thing defo. I've liked fighters based on other things, but fuck yeah I support Manchester based boxers and mostly those out of Ireland, but it's not exclusive, I wanted for example katsidis to win everytime he fought a British fighter, cos the guy was balls to the wall. Can't remember many lads over here supporting Julian Francis over iron Mike. It's just we love the sport, and once we identify with a fighter, they have support. Passionate fanbase is not the same as blind patriotism.

It's literally the same in every country. Casual fans will pick the local guy to pull the upset, and more knowledgeable fans pick the odds on favourite. I know lots of people who watch boxing casually and some who watch every card they can, and i couldn't find a single person picking Smith.

Not the smartest thread that's for sure.

Not sure what you want the UK media to say.

“Yeah our guys gonna get swatted like a fly, the fight is basically a gigantic waste of time, but please tune in and watch anyway”

Not sure what you want the UK media to say.

“Yeah our guys gonna get swatted like a fly, the fight is basically a gigantic waste of time, but please tune in and watch anyway”
Buddy, the majority of them picked Callum for the upset and instead he got absolutely destroyed, which was entirely predictable. Rooting for the local talent doesn’t mean you should shut off your brain when you analyze a fight.

Back