• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Are you expected to leave a tip, even if gratuity is included?

TheBlondBomber

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So it's my grandfather's birthday a few days ago so my family decides to take him out for a nice dinner. There are seven of us and I think the bill comes out to somewhere around $250-$300. When the check comes and my father signs the receipt, my sister says. "Dad, are you not going to leave a tip?" He tells he that a 17.5% gratuity was added to the bill. My sister then proceeds to talk about how little waiters make and how they have to spread the money around the kitchen and to the bus boys, blah blah blah. Eventually, with enough goading from my sister and mother, my dad leaves some money on the table and says, "You two make me wish I would have went to school to wait tables." Which I thought was kind of funny.

Personally, I never tip if gratuity is included and sometimes don't if the service is bad. To me, the whole gratuity thing is presumptuous and offers no incentive for waiters to do a good job. So I ask you guys, was my dad being cheap or is a tip supposed to be expected even after gratuity.

Depends on how much the included gratuity is and whether or not you think they deserved more.

Depends on how much the included gratuity is and whether or not you think they deserved more.

To me, gratuity is kind of a gamble for waiters. They might have done a good job and I might have tipped them more, but they told me how much of a tip they want, so that's what they're going to get.

If the tip is included, it's included. If the service was great I might round up a little, like leave $300 if the bill is $290. But nothing beyond that.

I will add that where I live minimum wage is $10.00 and wait staff I believe gets paid $9.25, so they are not just living off of their tips.

To me, gratuity is kind of a gamble for waiters. They might have done a good job and I might have tipped them more, but they told me how much of a tip they want, so that's what they're going to get.

Included gratuity is to make sure they don't get stiffed by a huge party, which hurts a lot more than being stiffed by a couple.

It's not about telling you how much they want. It's about hedging downside risk.

But if that's how you feel then whatever. I mean 17.5% isn't a bad tip by any means.

If gratuity is included in the bill I do not tip unless the server was exceptional and that seems to be rare with the gratuities added.

Adding gratuity is BS. Tips shouldn't be based on the amount of the check, but the quality of service. However, if its included, that's all they are getting.

Included gratuity is to make sure they don't get stiffed by a huge party, which hurts a lot more than being stiffed by a couple.

It's not about telling you how much they want. It's about hedging downside risk.

But if that's how you feel then whatever. I mean 17.5% isn't a bad tip by any means.

He did adjust the umbrella so the sun wasn't in my grandmother's eyes, but that was about the only noteworthy thing he did. I was just shocked at my sister, who lives in in a big city and has always been really entitled, was so indignant about the fact that my dad wasn't leaving more of a tip. I didn't know if that's the norm in towns that are bigger than 45,000 and we were just behind the times or not.

He did adjust the umbrella so the sun wasn't in my grandmother's eyes, but that was about the only noteworthy thing he did. I was just shocked at my sister, who lives in in a big city and has always been really entitled, was so indignant about the fact that my dad wasn't leaving more of a tip. I didn't know if that's the norm in towns that are bigger than 45,000 and we were just behind the times or not.

Some folk love to throw money around and show off their wealth and generosity. Gives them a high.

If they are adding the gratuity, that's the tip they get from me unless they go above and beyond (talking about someone with a sick kid in the party etc etc).

If they are adding the gratuity, that's the tip they get from me unless they go above and beyond (talking about someone with a sick kid in the party etc etc).

Or as Mr. Blue would say, they take you in the back and suck your d**k.

If the tip is already factored into the bill, then I only leave more if the service was top notch.

Nah, I don't leave extra tip if it's included.

tumblr_lfppcxcmnm1qb7lnbo1_500.gif

Yeah, I don't get it. I went out with some friends to a show. There were waiters, but they were just kinda decoration. I had to ask for a water three times before I got it. I wasn't bothered, though, because it was a comedy venue, not a restaurant.

They added gratuity because there were six of us then my friend's boyfriend started saying that we should leave more money because the gratuity was only 17%. The rest of us ignored him pretty much, so he covered whatever arbitrary amount he'd picked in his head.

In America, some people have a deeply rooted financial benevolence to waiters that is almost magical if you actually step back and look at it.

No - if they auto-grat, you don't need to add any more to the tip unless you really want to. The auto-grat exists so that huge parties won't stiff the wait staff and leave them starving. If they use it, it is perfectly acceptable to count that as your tip.

Related, but different question. How much do you tip on a mostly comp'ed bill?

A place I regular will seriously knock off 40 bucks every night. I always tip 100% of what they charge. Tonight, 18 bucks on an 18 dollar bill. Charge shoulda been over 60. At least.

I feel the tip is inadaquate. The service is tremendous. But, for some reason I can't explain, I'm hesitant to tip more. Therese no fear of the staff getting in trouble. I receive the same discount from managers/owner.

What do you guys say?

Thanks

Back