Are you happy with where MMA is and going?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
The year of 30th UFC anniversary is over. Time flies, especially when it comes to following MMA. It feels like just yesterday when there was this irish kid coming to UFC with nice knock out power with slick angles and precise combos, but that Irish kid is one of the biggest combat sports star of all time now. Back then, watching JMMA early in the morning was a pain in the ass, but no more do we have any orgs worth staying up for. YAMMA pit happened, but now we have even dumber PowerSlap and Bareknuckle.

There are no more PRIDE, WEC, Strikeforce, Affliction, Dream/Sengoku, K-1 Hero’s and so on. Rizin used to be decent with fighters like Jiri, Nemkov, Kape and so on, but you know, if you look at their cards, it’s unfortunate. PFL and ONEFC aren’t much better. Bellator were really the only org that carried the last torch of hope, but they got bought out by PFL this year.

UFC successfully weeded out possibly boring but excellent fighters like Shields, Fitch, Okami, Romero, Mousasi, Bader, Corey, Davis who likely have derailed exciting prospects over the years and selectively brought on board very few elite level wrestlers majority of whom seems to have gone onto Bellator. They are careful in making stars out of someone with lesser skills like O'Malley with favourable match ups all the way to the top, the fighter who would have never in his wildest dreams won the Bellator BW GP. I say this as the only guy who I know that had O'Malley as a better striker on Sherdog than Petr Yan long before that fight happened, and I lived on Sherdog for a long, long time.

Coming into this year, there aren't all that many exciting prospects to look out for. There's no more Bellator, and no more organization left that can hold a candle to UFC. MMA has fully gone mainstream, and I'm not sure if we go back 20 years ago to when first getting into MMA, if it was as mainstream as it is now, I may not have gotten into MMA at all.

I know people tend to error when looking back as if the past has been better. I don't think I am making the same error when I say the past days of MMA that will not be repeated has been the brighter one than MMA now and where it is headed.

It's a pity, but the life goes on.

And who was the genius that worked on this new Sherdog forum design? But I digress.

UFC dying confirmed.

No, I think what we need is a real competitor for the UFC to drive up competition and wages. The UFC would have to raise its standards if it had to compete. That is tough sledding though, not easy to compete with a dominant org; it would take someone with savvy. Hopefully the anti-trust lawsuit will make some kind of changes.

I'm happy that more people know about it now. I used to have to explain what UFC was to people back when I started to watch it, so now a lot more people are aware of it. Plus, it's now legal in New York as well as Melbourne (Victoria Australia). That being said, I do miss when UFC had more competition with Pride & other smaller orgs. Plus, different rules in Pride like soccer kicks & stomps to head.

wanderlei-silva-stomps.gif

463994_o.gif

I don’t like the watered down cards and the merit less rankings and title shots but it’s mma, it’s more prevalent than ever so overall I am happy

It just felt so much more raw and gritty pre-2014. The Gladiator opening followed by Face the Pain, the UFC trying to make champions out of the most dangerous and animalistic fighters as opposed to the biggest talkers and characters, and the unique personality it had. There were many MMA organizations before but the UFC stood out due to how unique it was, forget the quality of fighters for a second. Even to the small details like the fighters having different shorts with different sponsors, TapouT and the overall Gold and Black theme that the previous broadcasts used. Nowadays it just feels like your typical sports program on ESPN and more of a spectator sport for people who use TikTok as opposed to a martial arts contest. MMA outgrew us martial artists/martial arts fans and moved on to a more resourceful audience and is making a killing doing so. Maybe we need to move on too.

Anyway, $4 a pound.​

Last edited:
The Pride ruleset was better.

I can only like MMA so much with UFC and Dana White at the top.

It's big enough to be a real sport now. But it isn't. Sports are meritocracies where the best advance and their PPV sells are irrelevant.

I miss tournaments more than anything else.

Mousasi, a guy with 49 wins and 40 finishes, is one of the boring ones?
Mousasi was a finisher, but not necessarily exciting. He kind of plodded around like he didn't care about anything and never seemed to have a sense of urgency. He was an excellent fighter an all, but I can understand why people wouldn't be too hyped for him.

Too many manlets.

One even has a podcast.

I don’t trust manlets or unibrows.

Except for Paul Rodgers. He’s cool. He gets a free pass even though he keeps bad company. I’m firm on that.

It has potential. USADA IS GONE. They hired this company to bring in legitimacy, they got it, and shit got less entertaining. Their credit went up, but not much popularity.

Theyll have another agency, but I'd be blown the fuck away if it's the same strictness.

Glad pussies are gonna get sand in them again.

The old WEC days on Versus was my preferred time in MMA. Each and every card was a banger, Joe Martinez on the mic, prime Aldo, prime Brittany Palmer.......simpler times. I looked forward to those events just as much as UFC PPVs. Strikeforce, EliteXC, WRV/Sengoku, Affliction, and DREAM were alive and well. MMA was trending up in every metric and the athletes were making good scratch because of the exposure. No USADA? No problem.

This is 100% a case of Rose tinted goggles but if you were around in the late 2000s and early 2010s MMA was pretty special during that period of time. The sport is still intriguing and I still love it but too much bullshit behind the scenes is taking place and many times it feels like a circus more than it ever has.

Last edited:
Back