Are you surprised Conor is still the UFC’s biggest star?

Why would anyone be surprised? Conor, Ronda, Brock - these three are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in MMA. Not many will tune in to watch the likes of Jamahal Hill or Meral fight.

I don't think there is a recipe to create an MMA super star, you simply have to get really lucky and that the stars align. I do however think the UFC could do more to create more fan interest amongst the more popular fighters, one of them being that they should maybe fight from time to time and not sit out for a year. It also doesn't help that we get almost one event per week for years and that the cards, including PPVs, are rarely stacked. Someone fighting on a McGregor card will get A LOT of exposure, someone fighting on a card with the FlW belt in the main event will get very little exposure. I think for the UFC to create more stars, they really need to focus more on setting up bigger events where you have multiple stars on the same card allowing for new stars to be created when they get a lot of exposure.

If you're a star to the magnitude of Conor, most of the time you continue to be a star even if you aren't performing anywhere near your best and/or can't compete at the very highest level.

I mean, Tiger Woods is probably still the biggest name in golf.

Conor got lucky, siezed the moment well, got even luckier and then people are fucking idiots who like scum like Conor and Jones and Ronda.

Conor got lucky, siezed the moment well, got even luckier and then people are fucking idiots who like scum like Conor and Jones and Ronda.

People who play the lottery sometimes get lucky.

Believing Ronda, Jones or Conor "got lucky" is dumb beyond believe.

Jones didn't get lucky, Ronda did a bit and conor especially got extremely lucky. With no UFC support he would have probably had a long battle VS Aldo and ended up gassing/losing.

He was lucky the UFC saw how fucked up people are and how they were following Conor, so they gave him full support, even letting him go in and snatch aldo's belt from where it was just to piss him off.

No because at his peak he had a swagger that no one else to date as replicated. See he talked the talk by but did he walk the walk.

Plus the Aldo KO and the flawless clinic he put in against the Underground King was something to behold. At that point it is fair to say he was walking on water.

Conor was the right kind of fighter that came along at the right time, when the UFC needed a big crossover star to appeal to those casuals who would actually brake open their wallets and pay for ppv's. Conor is still living off the fumes of his earlier success and kudos to him, we'll see if he ever truly comes back and can once again breathe life back into his now wondering around fan base.

If you're a star to the magnitude of Conor, most of the time you continue to be a star even if you aren't performing anywhere near your best and/or can't compete at the very highest level.

I mean, Tiger Woods is probably still the biggest name in golf.
when Tiger is in contention for a win on Sunday, TV viewership of golf goes up 3x.

Been that way since the late 90s. Crazy

Same as Floyd being big for so long.
When you're at the top everyone eats it up.

Back