International Argentine submarine missing with 44 aboard: ARA San Juan's imploded wreckage has been found.

My brother did 3 yrs on the USS Dallas, he hated it

was this his CO?

MV5BNGQwMDM2MDUtY2MzNy00YzQwLTllNTItYzQwM2EwNzM2ZjdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwODA4Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Now they're saying it was an explosion they detected. I think the crews chances of survival are down to zero now.

Now they're saying it was an explosion they detected. I think the crews chances of survival are down to zero now.

not good, buildup of gases in the battery chambers perhaps? wouldn't be the first time

Essentially what I meant. I was meaning a county who is in such dire straights has for better things to spend money on than operating submarines. The only subs they should be concerned with are the type that jarred used to peddle.

Argentine has a lot of sea resources and claims.

A submarine certainly sounds overkill, but they need to chase off the chinese poachers and i guess they still want the Falklands.

Argentine has a lot of sea resources and claims.

A submarine certainly sounds overkill, but they need to chase off the chinese poachers and i guess they still want the Falklands.
Their navy would be better serving their people by fishing

Cant fish much if international fishing boats come and poach your EEZ.

Argentina has one of the largest in the world.

A submarine for any country in South America that actually has a use is moving drugs or someone got a big kickback.

Refuse to believe the story is now "oh actually there was an explosion just a few hours after it went missing".

Extremely grim.

Refuse to believe the story is now "oh actually there was an explosion just a few hours after it went missing".

Extremely grim.

Who knows , the source for the explosion report was an organisation in Austria so maybe it went round the houses a bit before it got to them .

Explosion Was Recorded Where Argentine Submarine Went Missing
By DANIEL POLITI and ERNESTO LONDOÑO
NOVEMBER 23, 2017

The Argentine Navy said on Thursday that a catastrophic explosion was recorded in the area where a submarine went missing on Nov. 15, an ominous disclosure that immediately caused relatives of the 44 crew members to burst into tears.

The nature of the explosion, which was described as an “anomalous, short, violent” event, was not immediately clear, but the disclosure dampened the hopes of a multinational team of rescuers who have been searching for the vessel, and immediately revived concerns about the worst outcome.

Capt. Enrique Balbi, a spokesman for the Argentine Navy, said the international search team would continue to look for the vessel, the San Juan.

“Until we don’t have certainty we’re going to carry on the search effort,” he said Wednesday morning.

The United States Navy, which is helping with the search, shared the information about the catastrophic explosion with the Argentines on Wednesday, according to Captain Balbi.

The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization, which runs monitoring stations equipped with underwater microphones, supplied corroborating information about the explosion, via the Argentine ambassador in Austria, on Thursday morning.

After analyzing the two pieces of information, the Argentine Navy broke the news initially to relatives and then, minutes later, to journalists assembled at a base in Mar del Plata.

The submarine was not armed with nuclear weapons and the explosion was not believed to have involved a nuclear weapon, Captain Balbi said.

The two reports about an explosion — from the United States Navy and from the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization — each provided a radius of about 77 miles, and that area is now being searched.

He said there was no way of knowing what had caused the accident.

“Unfortunately, we don’t have that information: what may have been the cause in that location, on that day, of an event of these characteristics,” Captain Balbi said.

Cmdr. Erik Reynolds, a spokesman for the United States Navy, said that American analysts had ruled out the possibility that the “hydro-acoustic anomaly,” as he called the explosion, could have been caused by volcanic or seismic activity.

"That was not a natural sound you hear in an ocean environment,” he said.

Commander Reynolds said that despite the bleak news, American rescue personnel were still scouring the area.

“For the United States, this is still a search-and-rescue mission,” he said. “We’re still presuming that they’re alive.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/...mes&smtyp=cur&referer=https://t.co/kg6wX3JsdM

Last edited:
Argentine submarine relatives fear the worst

_98873156_couple.jpg

With every hour, their chances of seeing their loved ones alive slipped away.

On Thursday, the announcement that an explosion was recorded near where the ARA San Juan submarine vanished meant that the anguished wait for families of the crew was all but over.

For some, sorrow turned to anger.

The Argentine navy's report to the relatives could not be concluded because many relatives became frustrated with the spokesman when he mentioned the reported explosion.

There were struggles and some family members voiced their anger at him.

Even before the confirmation of the explosion, the frustration of family members was boiling over.

Elena Alfaro, whose brother Cristian Ibañez is among the crew, said: "I feel like I'm waiting for a corpse. I feel like I'm at a wake. I also feel time passing and time is crucial. I don't want to bury my brother."

The frustration and anger erupted with the announcement of the explosion.

While navy spokesman Capt Enrique Balbi addressed journalists in Buenos Aires, in Mar del Plata feelings among the relatives were agitated.

Some wept while others tried to provide restraint.

The Argentine newspaper, Clarin, reported that a man shouted: "They killed my brother... They killed my brother because they sent them out to sea (in a vessel put together with) wire".

Some relatives say the navy was too slow to respond when the submarine lost contact with land, and wasted time before calling in international help.

The siblings of Cristian Ibañez were among those to express anger.

One asked why the authorities were using boats to look for a submarine, and another said the navy "lost crucial hours" by not treating the situation seriously enough at the beginning.

Ms Alfaro said: "I don't want to hear how many boats and aeroplanes there are. I want them to tell us where our relatives are."

Some of those who are missing relatives are too young to know what is happening. Beatriz Gambazza, who leads a creche at the naval base, said two of the children there have fathers on board.

In an emotive interview with the Argentine radio station, La Red, Luis, the father of Lt Cdr Damián Tagliapietra, was asked if he had heard anything about his son's status.

"Yes, yes, yes. Finally, yes. They have told us that they are all dead," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42092900

Damn, been thinking about those guys a bit.

One thing i don't understand is how they can run out of oxygen while sitting in a pool of hydrogen and oxygen. Surely some way to harvest it.

Im glad it was an explosion case and not an underwater tomb case TBH.

I hope they didnt suffered.

Damn, been thinking about those guys a bit.

One thing i don't understand is how they can run out of oxygen while sitting in a pool of hydrogen and oxygen. Surely some way to harvest it.

I think oxygen generators (using seawater) are uncommon on diesel/electric subs, because electrolysis is massively inefficient.

I think oxygen generators (using seawater) are uncommon on diesel/electric subs, because electrolysis is massively inefficient.

Not to run constantly but as a backup safety system it seems reasonable.

Back