Army reverses course, will consider renaming bases named for Confederate leaders

I don’t think people understand why those names are great. They are not only named after some of the biggest failures of the Confederacy, but many are located in the spots that those generals were defeated. Those names are a gigantic, hilarious, middle finger to the South and the Confederacy by rubbing in that those generals lost battles on the spots that now house units wearing the Stars and Stripes. It’s a shame more people don’t get the joke.

Edit: According to my buddy who went to West Point, those names were explicitly chosen for the exact reason that they are making fun of those Generals, so it never was a positive tribute. Essentially they are Confederate generals who are being “honored” for their contributions to the Union due to their poor performance for the South. <45><45><45>

Last edited:
I got mixed feelings on this. On one hand i think its really important to remember the civil war . I think in a lot of ways that war was the birth of the america that we all know and love. All the generals slaves and soldiers are super important to how we got here

But on the other hand i can see how a lot of people dont want govt buildings to be named after slave holders who went to war for the right to own people.

Theres a lot of ugly in our past and people dont all react to the reminder in the best of ways. Im really not sure what the best course of action is. It really complicates things that the heros of our past were brutal men who did brutal things to a lot of innocent people.

Maybe it is time to end our romance with the civil war and let it go . I dont know

Last edited:
Traitor Army
?
Ah, those were Americans fighting for what they believed was a just cause. Not slavery, but 'state' vs 'federal' rights. Lincoln wanted to maintain the Union first and foremost. Slavery was a secondary issue. Lincoln planned to move the slaves out of the US into the Caribbean after the war. No white Union soldier would give his life for a black man. As you can see by current events, racism is alive and well here in America 156 years later. The American Civil War put away once and for all the idea of states seceding from the Union.

?
Ah, those were Americans fighting for what they believed was a just cause. Not slavery, but 'state' vs 'federal' rights. Lincoln wanted to maintain the Union first and foremost. Slavery was a secondary issue. Lincoln planned to move the slaves out of the US into the Caribbean after the war. No white Union soldier would give his life for a black man. As you can see by current events, racism is alive and well here in America 156 years later. The American Civil War put away once and for all the idea of states seceding from the Union.

This is dumb revisionist bullshit.

I never looked into these guy until now but from what I'm reading Braxton Bragg wasn't just a Confederate General, he is also widely considered the worst General in the Civil War on either side losing almost every battle he commanded lol

Why is there a fort named after a career loser?

The traitor sympathizers that still exist to this day.
Except it wasn’t. If you read my post above, those are Confederate generals who were “honored” by having bases named after them due to their service to the Union, as a result of their poor performance for the Confederacy. It’s been a joke that Union commanders have played for 150 years. It’s making fun of Confederates by “honoring” their greatest losses and buffoons.

?

The North fought to keep the Union together. The South fought to preserve and expand slavery.

In fact a bunch of the losers packed up after they lost the War of Rebellion and went to Brazil where Slavery was still legal so they could fight to keep slavery going down there.

Except it wasn’t. If you read my post above, those are Confederate generals who were “honored” by having bases named after them due to their service to the Union, as a result of their poor performance for the Confederacy. It’s been a joke that Union commanders have played for 150 years. It’s making fun of Confederates by “honoring” their greatest losses and buffoons.

Sure that make sense, since those were all pretty shit Generals even by Confederate standards, but most people don't get the joke so it doesn't make much sense anymore.

And I don't believe the people fighting to keep those names today are the same one who were poking fun at the Confederacy.

It's not really a 150 year thing.

These bases were established were built in the lead up to WWI and WWII

?

How many Confederate flags do you have bud?

Sure that make sense, since those were all pretty shit Generals even by Confederate standards, but most people don't get the joke so it doesn't make much sense anymore.
That’s just a poor job by the army of continuing to let everyone in on the joke. In the decades after the Civil War those names were a giant kick in the dick to actual Confederate vets, and a source of hilarity to anyone from the North. It’s a shame people forget their history, and miss out on it.

?

<Huh2>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back