As little green as possible, Please

Andy Rickert

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Ok, jumping on the diet log bandwagon. Going to start bulking come October 31st, want to get up to around 210 this year. Goal in the next 2 weeks is to get down to 183. I'v been drinking 4 scoops of xtend during workouts (I ordered one jug for $15, they sent me 3), so that wont get added in there.

Rules of the log-
1) Don't bitch to me about lack of greens, because I don't care
2) Yes, ice cream will be eaten
3) Yes, I drink tons of drinks that are not water
4) Yes, I also drink tons of water
5) Significantly more calories will be eaten on days with two training sessions, regardless of cutting goals.
6) Fridays are mandatory cheat days, no matter what. Weekends are more lax than the week.

Current supplements-
Fish Oil
Vitamin D
Glucosamine
GNC Greens
Cytosport Fast Twitch (Pre WO)
Scivation Xtend (Peri WO)
Dymatize 12 hour release (Post WO/ Any time)
Optimum nutrition Casein (Bedtime)
Melatonin
-As you can see, Im a sucker for supplements

Diet for 9-19-09 (Ill try to remember all that I ate)

Weight last night- 192
Weight waking up- 189ish

Meal 1: Half pound burger (90/10 Black angus bought from local fresh foods store) on low carb bun (100 calories overall, roughly 15 net carbs). Don't usually have burgers for breakfast... out of breakfast food

Meal 2: Serving of fast twitch

Meal 3: 2 servings of protein w/ milk

Meal 4: 1/4 lb of beef with sauteed onions

Meal 5: Serving of protein w/ iced coffee (studying)+ Quarter lber with cheese

Meal 6: Other 1/4 lb of beef with onions

Meal 7: Most likely a shake

I usually get more real food, but Im out at the moment. As you can see, my diet is relatively low carb, moderate to high fat, high protein right now (the quarter lber with cheese being an exception, I almost never eat Mickey D's. But... considering it as a cheat day option this week)

I'm going to try vanilla protein with my iced coffee in the morning now.

Do you have a fight coming up or something?

Not at all, don't plan on fighting for a little bit, am training plenty though. Its just a sort of competition between my roommate and I. End the cutting the phase with a certain weight (made on October 30th), refeed, go for big 3 max's the next day (October 31st). Then will use that to start the bulk, as well as Jim Wendler's 531

Ohhh, I see. It just seemed kinda odd to me at first that you wanted to cut 10lbs over 2 weeks then try to go up to 210. Good luck. I'll check in for some ideas, I need to lose weight as well.

Ohhh, I see. It just seemed kinda odd to me at first that you wanted to cut 10lbs over 2 weeks then try to go up to 210. Good luck. I'll check in for some ideas, I need to lose weight as well.

I see what you are saying. Really... its more like 6-7 lbs, as I generally wake up at 189-188. And my diet is no where near as strict as it could be. I forgot to add the quarter pound with cheese today :). 183 wont be very hard at all for me.

Do girls sometimes tell you that you smell like beef?

What are you training mostly?

If they do, its followed with a swift backhand. Anyways, what exactly do you mean by training? If its skills/martial arts training, Iv definitely been working my standup alot more lately than my grappling. I still manage to grapple once or twice a week, which is actually sufficient for me to stay where Im at. As weird as it sounds, as long as I am thinking about grappling, I am still improving in grappling. Went up to Tennessee this weekend to corner a friends fight, which is always fun (well... when your guy wins)

Weight last night- 193.2
(this is a big one)
Weight this morning- 187.4

I shit you not.

Food so far for 10/20/09

Meal 1: Protein shake, yogurt, 3gm fish oil
Meal 2: Fast Twitch
Meal 3: Two servings of protein
Meal 4: 2 cheddar filled sausages, no bun. (AMAZING)
Meal 5: Meat bowl (chicken, pepperoni, bacon pieces, etc), 2 bread sticks
Meal 6: Breadstick (it was sitting around, couldnt resist)
Meal 7: Casein shake and low carb egg white burrito (was very hungry tonight. I always eat whole eggs, just felt like trying egg whites tonight. Not very splendid.)

10-21-09

Weight last night- 194.2
Weight this morning- 190-

Woke up heavy this morning, but I also ate/drank quite a little bit of water. Going into the KU powerlifting club today, so Ill have two training sessions today, so Im not worried about weight. Im more worried about getting enough to eat today actually... Ill manage.

Food so far for 10/21/09

Meal 1: Low carb wrap, 2 whole eggs, rest of the egg whites (need to get rid of them), shredded sharp cheddar, 4 slices of microwave bacon.
- 5 gm fish oil

Meal 2: Fast Twitch (1st training session)

Meal 3: Chick Fil A Chicken sandwich and 8 piece chicken nuggets. Roar

Meal 4: Some praline pecans and a protein cookie

Meal 6: Fast Twitch (2nd training session)

Meal 7: Heres the big one, 2 five guys bacon cheeseburger's. Thats 1840 calories of awesome right there my friends. 122 grams of fat, 102 grams of protein, and 80 grams of carbs. Surprisingly Im really not that full, I dare say I could have eaten another one. Think Im done eating for the day. Weight is at 193.2, if I just have a casein shake later I should wake up around 189ish.

Note: Of course I accidentally spill the eggs onto the burner. Being the dumbass college student that doesnt have any paper towels/clean up stuff of any kind right now, I was forced to use a dirty pair of boxers. Ah... good times.

AHAHAHA, cleaning your apartment with dirty underwear huh? Classy.

If they do, its followed with a swift backhand. Anyways, what exactly do you mean by training? If its skills/martial arts training, Iv definitely been working my standup alot more lately than my grappling. I still manage to grapple once or twice a week, which is actually sufficient for me to stay where Im at. As weird as it sounds, as long as I am thinking about grappling, I am still improving in grappling. Went up to Tennessee this weekend to corner a friends fight, which is always fun (well... when your guy wins)

Yeah I have more fun with stand up too.

I know what you mean about the "as long as you're thinking about grappling you're still improving" comment. I'm analyzing fights all the time, and I'm convinced it makes a difference when I roll. I think as long as you have some basic understanding for the game, there's merit in studying and thinking about techniques when you're not able to put in mat time.

Exactly. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love grappling. Id box and grapple every night if I could, just with my schedule, kickboxing has been more readily available lately.

10-22-09

Restocked on paper towels, no more egg shenanigans. Woke up heavy today, but that was expected. There was some undocumented carb intake after the burgers last night (went over to someones house, they had pizza and breadsticks and such, and I was still hungry)

Weight last night- 194.2
Weight today- 192.2

Diet so far for today-

Meal 1 (8:30 AM)- Protein shake (roughly 50 grams protein powder + milk)

Meal 2 (12:30 PM)- Low carb wrap, 3 eggs, shredded sharp cheddar

Although Iv only had 2 meals today, today is definitely a lighter eating day, especially because Im going to take it off to recover.

Meal 3 (3ish)- low carb wrap with shredded cheddar

Meal 4 (5ish)- Meat bowl + 1 slice of breadstick cake. Just amazing

Meal 5 (9:30ish)- Half a slice of pizza, low carb wrap + cheddar sausage

Meal 6 (12:48 AM)- Protein shake

Meal 7 (2ish)- Some plain yogurt with protein and splenda mixed in.

Nothing too bad today.

10-23-09

Weight last night- 193
Weight this morning- 190

Thats not too bad, grappling and boxing later will help. Making 183 next week should really not be a big issue. Add a little extra cardio in, cut down on 1) carbs, 2) sodium, and probably biggest of all, 3) late night snacking

Diet so far today-

Meal 1 (1:30 PM- I dont have class friday :) )- 3 eggs over easy, 4 slices of microwave bacon, low carb wrap toasted in the oven to mop up the yoke

Meal 2- cant really remember, maybe a protein bar or something? + rockstar coffee

Meal 3- Half of a stuffed crust bacon, pepperoni, and sausage pizza (about 1000 cals or so)

Meal 4- 9 beers in 40 minutes. We decided to do a mini case race before going out. Was 12 vs 12, teams of 2. My teammate really sucked it up, I ended up drinking 3 of his beers as well. Seeing I dont drink often, I was hammered. Believe I had a vodka and coke and a bud light at the bar too. Tried to work some game, but was far too drunk to really get any effective flirting in. Not like my dick would have worked anyways

Meal 5- other half of the pizza. Pass the fuck out.

10-24-09

Felt like shit from last night, but still got a good workout in. Diet has been meh so far today, nothing too awful though.

Weight last night- who knows, allot
Weight this morning- 188.3 (nice)

Meal 1- 4 eggs scrambled with some garlic parmesan sauce

Meal 2- 2 breadsticks

Meal 3- Some boneless wings (fuck those are good)

Meal 4- Meat bowl

Meal 5- Fast twitch

Meal 6- two protein bars (small ones though, 26gm protein overall)

Meal 7- left over chinese (fail)

Meal 8- 35 chicken wings (super fail).

10-25-09

Alright, time to be very strict this week. Holding quite a bit of water from last nights huge gluttonous meal, but Ill be fine. Weight workouts will be very light this week, diet will be pretty much protein and some fat, very little sodium.

Weight last night- 196 (muahahaha)
Weight this morning- 192

Diet so far for today-

1st meal- meat bowl at work

2nd meal- protein shake

3rd meal- fast twitch

4th meal- 1/2 lb ground beef seasoned with mrs. dash

Do you cook all your ground beef on one day of the week and weigh it? Everyone makes fun of me for doing it and then weighing it in baggies so precisely.

hahaha, no, much less organized and precise. Buy a lb at a time, halve it, cook it in the pan/foreman. Eat the other half later, or the next day.

Back