Ashton Kutcher rolling with Craig Jones

why train with rigan if you are famous why not at least go to the source or top guys lol like mendes bros or rickson jean jac machado at least was the family champ of machados
I always thought Rigan was the top dog of the Machados, but I guess I could be wrong. But training with Rigan is on par with the other guys you listed, Rigan was the one to give Rickson his hardest match in bjj

I think a lot of old brown belts would loo k like that. Not all but a bunch. The arm bar was bad, but maybe Ashton was messing around too. It's possible Ashton might've looked better in a straight up passing or guard scenario instead of all the turtle and inverted stuff.

A 25 year old brown belt, I would say no way. But at 41, almost anything goes.

I think a lot of old brown belts would loo k like that. Not all but a bunch. The arm bar was bad, but maybe Ashton was messing around too. It's possible Ashton might've looked better in a straight up passing or guard scenario instead of all the turtle and inverted stuff.

A 25 year old brown belt, I would say no way. But at 41, almost anything goes.

Age has little to do, specially 41, if you are 41 and are a brown, you have probably been Training for 10 years, ufc champs are closer to 40 than 30... you cannot possible move that bad and be a brown, Unless Ashton was also fooling around, which certainly didn’t look like..

nothing could be further than the truth. I'm not trying to be "the cool guy" or a dick, but it's obvious you don't train. I'm a 42 year old brown belt. been training for over 10 years. got my brown 3 years ago. and I'm telling you Ashton has blue belt talent at best. anyone who's been training for a few years would know this. Craig Jones is messing around and having fun. he's giving things up and playing with Ashton. going 20%. how do I know ashton is a blue belt? it's the position by position holes in basically every transition and position. anyone who's been training a while sees this clear as day. and it has nothing to do with Craig Jones. Craig is just a body going slow and having fun with him. which is also extremely obvious to any seasoned bjj practitioner.
I actually laughed out loud at "it's obvious you dont train", knowing you said it to.

It would be pretty difficult to judge Ashton's skill from that video. Apart from the awful armbar.

Sometimes these boards just throw shit in every direction, no different than the rest of the internet.

The systems we train are effective, and as such, when applied very well they can make skilled opponents look rudimentary. Countless times I've watched exceptional practitioners be made to look basic, be it elite black belts being smashed in IBJJF or UFC fighters controlled and dominated. There are levels, yes. But even beyond that, two practitioners of the same level can roll, and if one gets the advantage, he can make the other look as though he is a fish out of water. Because the systems we train are very effective, and the smallest of advantages can yield crushing results.

The attempt to go to the back from front headlock was poor, and it's a pet peeve of mine. I make sure that all of the people I train know that if you don't pre-empt it, all the opponent needs is to raise the arm to stop the spin. So, if I trained with a person who did that, I'd talk shit to him/her.

That being said, I tried that same move once in a tournament and was stopped by the very same arm. Sometimes, you just do things cause you think you can pull them off.

I think the biggest take away is that if anyone on these boards posted a video of himself rolling with Craig Jones, the board would not eviscerate him. But because of the history, there is dissection of minutiae and quick judgement of the guy's martial arts journey. I think that's a shame.

The world talked shit about the guy not rolling, he has one video of him rolling (which he clearly does) and the world eats him alive for it.

Just let the dude train. I'm a 43 year old brown belt. I like to think I would look a bit better, I have some competitive accolades and what not. But I'm sure if the board was out to get me, the reception would be the same.

I actually laughed out loud at "it's obvious you dont train", knowing you said it to.

It would be pretty difficult to judge Ashton's skill from that video. Apart from the awful armbar.

there’s nothing wrong with not understanding basic jiu jitsu

Age has little to do, specially 41, if you are 41 and are a brown, you have probably been Training for 10 years, ufc champs are closer to 40 than 30... you cannot possible move that bad and be a brown, Unless Ashton was also fooling around, which certainly didn’t look like..

Ashton was smiling and stuff he wasn't going 100% either. 41 year old brown doesn't mean training for 10 years at all. I've trained with 40 yo average hobbyist purples who were given their belts in 3.5 by a guy who used to teach at a one of the big BJJ team headquarters. Brown at 5-6 would not be that weird.

UFC champs at 40 are a terrible comparison. UFC champs are loaded with PEDs and again survivor bias. You only see the ones who are not crippled physically and reaction wise.

Sometimes these boards just throw shit in every direction, no different than the rest of the internet.

The systems we train are effective, and as such, when applied very well they can make skilled opponents look rudimentary. Countless times I've watched exceptional practitioners be made to look basic, be it elite black belts being smashed in IBJJF or UFC fighters controlled and dominated. There are levels, yes. But even beyond that, two practitioners of the same level can roll, and if one gets the advantage, he can make the other look as though he is a fish out of water. Because the systems we train are very effective, and the smallest of advantages can yield crushing results.

The attempt to go to the back from front headlock was poor, and it's a pet peeve of mine. I make sure that all of the people I train know that if you don't pre-empt it, all the opponent needs is to raise the arm to stop the spin. So, if I trained with a person who did that, I'd talk shit to him/her.

That being said, I tried that same move once in a tournament and was stopped by the very same arm. Sometimes, you just do things cause you think you can pull them off.

I think the biggest take away is that if anyone on these boards posted a video of himself rolling with Craig Jones, the board would not eviscerate him. But because of the history, there is dissection of minutiae and quick judgement of the guy's martial arts journey. I think that's a shame.

The world talked shit about the guy not rolling, he has one video of him rolling (which he clearly does) and the world eats him alive for it.

Just let the dude train. I'm a 43 year old brown belt. I like to think I would look a bit better, I have some competitive accolades and what not. But I'm sure if the board was out to get me, the reception would be the same.

Great post. I'm pretty much the same age and belt, I think I'd look better but I'd probably look like shit too.

Ashton ok'd this video, knowing that everybody would tear him apart for it. Even if you don't respect his BJJ you have to respect his balls.

Ashton was smiling and stuff he wasn't going 100% either. 41 year old brown doesn't mean training for 10 years at all. I've trained with 40 yo average hobbyist purples who were given their belts in 3.5 by a guy who used to teach at a one of the big BJJ team headquarters. Brown at 5-6 would not be that weird.

UFC champs at 40 are a terrible comparison. UFC champs are loaded with PEDs and again survivor bias. You only see the ones who are not crippled physically and reaction wise.

Great post. I'm pretty much the same age and belt, I think I'd look better but I'd probably look like shit too.

Ashton ok'd this video, knowing that everybody would tear him apart for it. Even if you don't respect his BJJ you have to respect his balls.

Well, I guess some Gyms will do that, actually most gyms will give a brown to someone training for 6 years, as long as they are putting mat time, actually with the mcdogization of the world (ironically most people shitting on the old school Bjj also shit on the mcdogization of Bjj) some could get to brown just by showing up... I do know one case, he’s actually a black and sucks worst than a white, but he also started old and literally bought his belt...black in 4 at the age of 45 or something

Do you think peds are the fountains of youth or something t? Being 40 and being able to perform at the highest level has muuuuuch more to do with life style than anything. Peds could make the difference, between 2 elite fighters, but if you do no train, you eat crap and watch tv all day, you can get a truck of teatosterone into your body, your still going to be a fat bastard. So ufc fighters are the perfect example, not only ufc fighters, you have boxers, you have grapplers, cobrinha is 40, augusto Mendes is 37, Galvao is 38, Barnett is 42, lister is 40, xande is 40 or close to, while most of these guys aren’t on their prime, they are still competing are the highest level (Save for Barnett) get into worlds bb master, and most are over 40, you will get your face readjust....

Peds certainly help, but if you do not have the right lifestyle, you shooting up hormones for absolutely no reason. And if you are over 40, you probably anyways should be shooting test in trt dosage, it might make your life better

ashton was smiling the same way I’m smilli y when doing a friendly rolling with a guy who I know will crush me, still I would not ever move like that nor do white belts mistakes as the arm bar (specially while while being coached) unless is a totally joke or sátira roll for something, it certainly wasn’t.

Last edited:
Okay all that I care about at this point is this.

If you go to 1:37, Ashton clearly farts.

Well, I guess some Gyms will do that, actually most gyms will give a brown to someone training for 6 years, as long as they are putting mat time, actually with the mcdogization of the world (ironically most people shitting on the old school Bjj also shit on the mcdogization of Bjj) some could get to brown just by showing up... I do know one case, he’s actually a black and sucks worst than a white, but he also started old and literally bought his belt...black in 4 at the age of 45 or something

Do you think peds are the fountains of youth or something t? Being 40 and being able to perform at the highest level has muuuuuch more to do with life style than anything. Peds could make the difference, between 2 elite fighters, but if you do no train, you eat crap and watch tv all day, you can get a truck of teatosterone into your body, your still going to be a fat bastard. So ufc fighters are the perfect example, not only ufc fighters, you have boxers, you have grapplers, cobrinha is 40, augusto Mendes is 37, Galvao is 38, Barnett is 42, lister is 40, xande is 40 or close to, while most of these guys aren’t on their prime, they are still competing are the highest level (Save for Barnett) get into worlds bb master, and most are over 40, you will get your face readjust....

Peds certainly help, but if you do not have the right lifestyle, you shooting up hormones for absolutely no reason. And if you are over 40, you probably anyways should be shooting test in trt dosage, it might make your life better

ashton was smiling the same way I’m smilli y when doing a friendly rolling with a guy who I know will crush me, still I would not ever move like that nor do white belts mistakes as the arm bar (specially while while being coached) unless is a totally joke or sátira roll for something, it certainly wasn’t.

Sorry no offense but you're just totally wrong about PEDs. Steroids / Test makes a DRAMATIC difference in athletes. From superhuman increased recovery levels: Train 7 days a week, multiple times a day. Build muscle easily despite tons of volume (bjj). And gain tons of strength.

Let alone old athletes, we are talking 40 year olds? Yeah dude test is a world of difference. Look at the TRT era in the UFC just as an example.

You are naming a bunch of grapplers...yeah most of the top guys competing in BJJ are using PEDs...test, steroids, whatever. That's not really a good example. You name drop Barnett too lol...you realize he's a known steroid user right?

you're missing the point.

I don't think I am. I think you wouldn't say this if you were in the same room as Holt. Hell, you wouldn't brag about your brownbelt if you were in the same room as damn near anyone here. I got my black in 2013, I can barely even remember what being a brown belt was like. Telling me you're a three year brown belt hobbyist is a waste of both our time.

Sorry no offense but you're just totally wrong about PEDs. Steroids / Test makes a DRAMATIC difference in athletes. From superhuman increased recovery levels: Train 7 days a week, multiple times a day. Build muscle easily despite tons of volume (bjj). And gain tons of strength.

Let alone old athletes, we are talking 40 year olds? Yeah dude test is a world of difference. Look at the TRT era in the UFC just as an example.

You are naming a bunch of grapplers...yeah most of the top guys competing in BJJ are using PEDs...test, steroids, whatever. That's not really a good example. You name drop Barnett too lol...you realize he's a known steroid user right?

I’ve been in trt for a couple o years now and work with athletes with steroids for over a decade, I kind of know what I’m talking about. No steroids are not the fountaing of youth and do jack shit you don’t do things properly. No elite grappler is going to beat an elite grappler no matter how much testosterone you get in their body.

Last edited:
I always thought Rigan was the top dog of the Machados, but I guess I could be wrong. But training with Rigan is on par with the other guys you listed, Rigan was the one to give Rickson his hardest match in bjj
because rigan is like 255 pounds lol

rigan knows his shit for sure but id not choose him out of the top guys of california lol

and no jean jac was the best out of them he did much better at adcc rigan lost to a blue bet from uk in adcc 1999 i think

again it comes down to jealousy im sure they dont even realize it its sub conscious why else hate that hard on him if he post a vid or not the internet really brings out the evil side of people and shows most people generally are not good people

again it comes down to jealousy im sure they dont even realize it its sub conscious why else hate that hard on him if he post a vid or not the internet really brings out the evil side of people and shows most people generally are not good people

so I’m not good people because I’m shitting on Rigan for selling out belts? Lmfao...

so I’m not good people because I’m shitting on Rigan for selling out belts? Lmfao...
did i say you? i said people who shit on kutcher for just training if he was out bragging talking shit then sure.. but dude hasnt done anything

but if u did do that then yeah it would indeed make you a bad person

Rigan is an absolute charlatan.

Back