Askren vs Zahid?

dsdoubled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ben Askren just did an interview saying that he's been training for Midlands since his last MMA fight. He mentioned he's down in weight and only training wrestling. Ben mentioned no names stated his desire to face the number 1 guy in the country (NCAA) who also just placed 2nd at the trials to eventual world champ. This has got to be Zahid.

So the obvious question is, who takes it? And also I want to point out that I think its smart to sharpen his wrestling, especially collegiate style, with his UFC debut looming. Also, I know Midlands is an open tournament and has enjoyed participation from many wrestlers not in college, itd be great to see other MMAers dip into folkstyle wrestling competition.

See 11:45

I think askren is past his prime and rusty, maybe it’d be competitive but I doubt it

I think askren is past his prime and rusty, maybe it’d be competitive but I doubt it
He should be well past his prime. No folkstyle wresting since 2007 and hasn't wrestled at all since he beat Quentin Wright in a mixed rules bout in 2013. Having said that, he has been fighting MMA, training its disciplines, and coaching wrestling the entire time. Im sure Ben has lost a step or 2 in wrestling but he was so good at the end of his career even if he is diminished a bit I expect a strong showing.

We have seen many comebacks in wrestling, most of them don't go too well. Lance palmer just returned to the US Open where Im not sure he won a match. Stephen Abas came back in 2015 and had mixed results that included getting blown out by a wrestler whos name I cant remember. Itl be interesting to see what happens.

On a somewhat related note, Alexis Vila, a Cuban freestyle world champ and Olympic medalist returned to wrestling via the Midlands Tournament in 2001. He had never wrestled folkstyle before but wn the tournament easily. He had been gone from competitive wresting for 4-50 years at that point too.

itd be great to see other MMAers dip into folkstyle wrestling competition.

I always think they see it was too much to lose for little gain (reputation & money) - similar to competing in BJJ or sub grappling - a superfight against another MMAer can be a safe option, but jumping into a tournament to possibly lose to nobodys (from an mma perspective) doesn't make sense.

But I would like to see it, especially as someone that comes from outside the US wrestling culture, it would give me reason to watch.

I always think they see it was too much to lose for little gain (reputation & money) - similar to competing in BJJ or sub grappling - a superfight against another MMAer can be a safe option, but jumping into a tournament to possibly lose to nobodys (from an mma perspective) doesn't make sense.

But I would like to see it, especially as someone that comes from outside the US wrestling culture, it would give me reason to watch.
True. There is extremely little prestige in winning midlands outside the wrestling community.

Back