Media Aspen Ladd's corner

He told her straight out she was losing. After 1 he gave great advice. After that he seemed to try to stress she was blowing it. And she wasn’t listening to the advice they were giving her.

Way better than going into the last round of a fight that is probably tied, and telling your fighter you already have it in the bag. I have no problem with what he said.

"start with the backside, then you double bust"

That spoke to me.

Edit: add on

He's mild compared to Julia Budd's cornerman (who's her husband i think)

o man, you see how she immediately locks eyes, reaches out over his shoulders and draws him into an intimate bubble. She loves that shit. Bet my account buddy be choke slammin that through the sheets

Last edited:
I agree this is not abuse and anybody saying it's abuse it's because it's a female and that would be sexist in my book.

That said, judging her facial expressions and body language, I think she needed some more positive pick me up style of cornering
But, what positive coaching could he give after round 2? She was doing nothing right. How do you sugarcoat that, and give her positive feedback? There was nothing positive about her performance at all. If there was something she was doing well, then you can push that. But, there was nothing. He said she has cardio for days, and that’s positive. But, she wasn’t pushing it.

Do you have anything positive you would have said to her?

Do you think he did a terrible job? Just come out and say what you think.

Eh. It's hard. I think he shoulda changed gears when his original approach wasn't working. If the student isn't seeing your light, you gotta change it up. Ask questions. Point out good things. Give her some quiet. But he's swarming her, overwhelming her, and it simply isn't working.

What pussy ass world are we living in that this would be considered abuse? It’s fight ffs

These days, if you are not using positive affirmations and words of encouragement while speaking with a gentle, effeminate voice, then you are considered abusive and violent.

David-Van-Driessen-Sings-For-Beavis-and-Butt-Head.gif

His instructions seemed sound enough and he didn't try to overload with too many tactics.

The way he gave direction started to show his frustration & clearly didn't get through to his fighter. Maybe she needs her tyres pumped up before she can do it kind of person, give the confidence to make the changes in the ring that she clearly didn't have.

Not abuse but I think if he reflects on it, he might change up his delivery after it keeps failing round after round- add some encouragement. He can give all the same info & let her know she's behind but still pump the fighter up. It just seemed to making her more apprehensive & docile.

Still way better than Raquel Pennington’s corner.

Down 0-4 vs Amanda Nunes.

Pennington: “My nose is broken” “I’m done, I wanna be done”
Coach: “No no no. Change your mindset. We’ll recover later. Go back out there. Throw everything you got”

gets brutally TKO’d shortly after

Last edited:
He's mild compared to Julia Budd's cornerman (who's her husband i think)

The difference here is that he clearly knew Budd was going to react to that slap the way she did. You can see it didn't annoy or dishearten her at all. She immediately focused. You could see it amping her up.

But Ladd's coach wasn't helping her at all. She didn't have the same level of striking as Norma. She needed actual advice in her case, some way to work back into the fight, which her coach didn't seem knowledgeable enough to give.

Just telling her to go for it doesn't work when the skill level is that different. Ladd has always been a sub-par striker. She didn't really have any ideas how to deal with just the jab, and her coach clearly didn't either.

So he berated her instead and that made things worse. It was pretty clear that it was upsetting her and getting in her head. What sort of low-level coach knows so little about his fighter that he didn't realize that was the wrong approach?

Back