At what point does Volkanovski dethrone Aldo as the GOAT FW?

Jones is objectively better than Prime-Tito everywhere though. Volk isn't objectively better than Aldo of ten years ago. He has a claim, but it's not even close to the same thing.

This is the frustrating part about this debate. People are acting like Volk is just clearly better than Aldo and it's all about career accomplishments. In reality Volk is no where near clearly better than Aldo.

Aldo beat no one like Holloway. Max beat Aldo handily, twice.

Alex had to beat Max three times.

That’s worth so much more than many of Aldo’s WEC defences so many people are quick to quote.

Something funny to look at here is, if it weren't for Volk, we'd be singing the praises of Max Holloway right now as being the undisputed FW GOAT.

Even after 3 losses to Volk, Holloway is still knocking back top contenders left and right. He'd be riding 16 UFC FW wins (2 over Aldo) in a row with 6 defenses, more than likely a lot more, by now.

Last edited:
Yair tap dances all over Volk. He'll have to get back in line after back to back losses

Volk has taken little damage in most of his fights. I wouldn't worry about that yet.

Even if thats the case he's 100 percent slowed down

Its just a matter of some young guy making him pay for his speed, but I dont see anyone right now

Anyways

Aldo is still the GOAT but Volk is real close

I'd say 1 or 2 more defences and volk can claim the spot from Aldo

If we're including Aldo's WEC run, I don't know if he does. Before he lost to Conor, Aldo went 15-0 (10-0 title fights) under Zuffa. I wouldn't be surprised if Volk permanently moves to 155 after a few more fights.
A lot of people seem to discount Aldo's wec run, even though there's really no reason to do so. Literally the same roster and he had many elite wins there.

This is the frustrating part about this debate. People are acting like Volk is just clearly better than Aldo and it's all about career accomplishments. In reality Volk is no where near clearly better than Aldo.
I have trouble with this particular debate because Aldo is in my top five favorites ever and I'm just now warming up to Volk. I do my best to stay objective and all of that noise, but I'm sure I miss a bias or two sometimes.

I honestly see Volk as a little bit of a modern day Aldo equivalent, although with a boxing base instead of Muay Thai.

So many more casuals these days. The way some people are like pfft the wec.

Oh yeah just the org that had among others:

Brian Stann
Carlos Condit
Chael Sonnen
Urijah Faber
Joseph Benavidez
Mighty Mouse
Ian Mccall
Takeya mizugaki
Chad Mendes
Jose Aldo
Mike Brown
Benson Henderson
Anthony Pettis
Jamie Varner
Cub Swanson
Miguel Torres
Dominick Cruz

<36>

Get 9 title defenses first and then we’ll talk about GOATs.

Jose Aldo was something special. Watching him before his knees were shot was unlike any other guy his size ever. He would tear people down with his leg kicks. So many TUF casuals here.

What extreme levels of cope and delusion are you going to?

It's 2023. We have all the stats at our fingertips.
Go look up aldos "streak". What's the best fighter there? - given the most compelling metric is strength of opposition (this is why GSP rates so highly).

Then look at the lineage of the FW division as talent evolved. Conor. Max. Volk. How a new bar was set - max for example who for a while looked to set the new standard. And then Volk came along.

All Aldo has now is his streak. That's it.
He got beaten in his prime by a succession of better fighters. Volk is older now, than Aldo was when Volk beat him.

Awaiting your "it's still real to me dammit" reply in which you'll likely cite zero examples / stats etc like a true sherdogger.

I hope Volk stay in FW, there are many interesting Contender he can fight at his own weight division to solidify him as GOAT FW.

The fact that he's 4-0 against two of what should be the consensus top 3, beat Aldo directly (even with Aldo somewhat past it), and (IMO) faces a division that's somewhat better than Aldo's day leads me to believe he doesn't need to tie or exceed Aldo's top 5/10 wins or title defenses mark.

But he should be a bit closer, IMO.

Five title fights wins isn't approximately the same as 11 title fight wins (counting interim and WEC...WEC should definitely count).

This is all under the assumption we are ranking legacy/resume and adjusting for era. I absolutely think the best of Volk could beat the best of Aldo H2H if you are taking that route.

Edit: FWIW, Fight Matrix has Volk's career to-date barely edging Max's career, and miles from Aldo.

Aldo was an innovator in a way that Volk isn't. Plus the title defences.

The fact that Volk beat an aging Aldo isn't all that cogent IMO.

Volk may yet prove to be the FW GOAT but not quite yet. Wierd picture at FW, will be interesting to see what he does next.

Back