News "Bad MoFo" Jo Jo Calderwood 2.0 vs "Violence Queen" Ariane Lipski Moved To UFC Brooklyn, 1/19/19

Who wins?

• Calderwood

Votes: 85 49.7%
  • Lipski

Votes: 86 50.3%

• Total voters
Wow. That was terrible..

He calls Calderwood sloppy, and his only explanation for why she is ‘punking’ her opponents, is ‘confidence’.

Its literally the opposite if what jojo is

Shes has a very technical mt base and her losses largely come down to lack of confidence

Its literally the opposite if what jojo is

Shes has a very technical mt base and her losses largely come down to lack of confidence

Personal problems aside, I get why she holds back sometimes. She’s been submitted 3 times in her career, so when faced with someone like Calvillo, it must be something that’s running through her head.

I thought Jojo would lose and be KO'd tbh. I wanted her to win but just didn't think she'd be able to cope with the power of her opponent.
Early in the first round she did get hit with some hard punches and looked a little like a rabbit caugh in headlights and i thought 'here we go.'
But getting Lipski to the ground was great and it tired her out. I do think if it had remained a striking match throughout the first round Jojo wouldn't of lasted. I was really happy she won and she really does seem to be improving her ground game.
I was impressed with her, however there is no way she could win a belt.

Glad JoJo won, would love to see her improve her clinch and striking, but dayum does that woman have a chin and she does have decent head movement which can be improved some more.

Well whaddya know... went exactly as I predicted.

Lipski is completely lost when the opponent will not freeze up and wait for her to throw her combinations. Calderwood denied her range by moving in and out, using angles, mixing lows, teeps, jabs (eventually just lifting her knee to threaten the teep) or just stepping in and clinching up.

There are exceptions, but too many Brazilians in MMA are employing a horrible pseudo-MT that lacks fundamentals, relying instead of overwhelming the opponent with speed and power.

Lipski knows how to throw a teep and a roundhouse, but she doesn't know how to use them. Her kicks were completely useless in this fight. Even in the clinch, Lipski was getting worked despite her obvious physical strength, because Calderwood actually knows how to unbalance the opponent to place knees and position her arms to land elbows.

It's nice to see Calderwood continue to develop her ground game and her use of it to control the fight. Once she had Lipski down, she tired her out by focusing on shutting down early escape attempts. Then, very methodically, she began to advance, always securing the position before attacking with the submission.

I thought Jojo would lose and be KO'd tbh. I wanted her to win but just didn't think she'd be able to cope with the power of her opponent.
Early in the first round she did get hit with some hard punches and looked a little like a rabbit caugh in headlights and i thought 'here we go.'
But getting Lipski to the ground was great and it tired her out. I do think if it had remained a striking match throughout the first round Jojo wouldn't of lasted. I was really happy she won and she really does seem to be improving her ground game.
I was impressed with her, however there is no way she could win a belt.
Jojo always starts like that

In her own words "i have to get to get angry and realise im in a fight"

Literally every one of her fights she gets rushed at the start and looks like a rabbit in the headlights

Its her thing

LOL Going into the fight, he suggested that Lipski shouldn't "stand in one spot and throw flurries" ...having watched a few of her fights, what the fuck did you think she was going to do?? The girl is a heavy bag fighter; can't counter, can't fight on the move, doesn't know how to set things up or build a finish. Her feints were terrible. She has no jab. And on and on....

JoJo might hate me and most of her own country, but I am still a huge fan of hers and always wish her well. Grappling has improved so much.

She fought well and showed grit.

Good lassie.

Well whaddya know... went exactly as I predicted.

Lipski is completely lost when the opponent will not freeze up and wait for her to throw her combinations. Calderwood denied her range by moving in and out, using angles, mixing lows, teeps, jabs (eventually just lifting her knee to threaten the teep) or just stepping in and clinching up.

There are exceptions, but too many Brazilians in MMA are employing a horrible pseudo-MT that lacks fundamentals, relying instead of overwhelming the opponent with speed and power.

Lipski knows how to throw a teep and a roundhouse, but she doesn't know how to use them. Her kicks were completely useless in this fight. Even in the clinch, Lipski was getting worked despite her obvious physical strength, because Calderwood actually knows how to unbalance the opponent to place knees and position her arms to land elbows.

It's nice to see Calderwood continue to develop her ground game and her use of it to control the fight. Once she had Lipski down, she tired her out by focusing on shutting down early escape attempts. Then, very methodically, she began to advance, always securing the position before attacking with the submission.

Didn't go the way I expected, I thought Calderwood would lose her composure when she got run into the fence like she so often does, she has a long history of getting bumrushed off the start and ending up in poor positions from bad decision making. She got bumrushed again but this time she managed to keep her cool and tie up in the clinch where she was able to work her game.

I noted in another post that Lipski depends way too much on her speed & aggression to overwhelm her opponents, and that someone who can keep their composure would be trouble for her since as you said, she has no real setups and no defence. All JoJo had to do was put straight punches & kicks down the middle and Lipski would walk into them every time, this was something I saw in one of her KSW fights where her opponent was able to knock her back a few times by putting punches down the middle.

The clinch as you mentioned was just awful. Lipski trying to use a knee shield to keep Calderwood from kneeing her was painful to watch. Her posture was broken, she was standing sideways instead of square to JoJo, and she had no grip control or base which allowed Calderwood to just push her right over. She wasn't stopping any knees with her poorly placed knee shield, and at the same time she was standing on one leg with no base and giving up an easy takedown.

Nice to see Calderwood finally getting her shit together. I think she can give a lot of the women in her division problems if she keeps improving and tightening up her game, but as long as Joanna and the Shevchenko sisters are around she's not touching gold.

I'm not ready to pull out of Lipski ( bandwagon ) yet, it was her first fight in the UFC, the nerves might have got to her, hoping for a better show next fight.

Didn't go the way I expected, I thought Calderwood would lose her composure when she got run into the fence like she so often does, she has a long history of getting bumrushed off the start and ending up in poor positions from bad decision making. She got bumrushed again but this time she managed to keep her cool and tie up in the clinch where she was able to work her game.

I noted in another post that Lipski depends way too much on her speed & aggression to overwhelm her opponents, and that someone who can keep their composure would be trouble for her since as you said, she has no real setups and no defence. All JoJo had to do was put straight punches & kicks down the middle and Lipski would walk into them every time, this was something I saw in one of her KSW fights where her opponent was able to knock her back a few times by putting punches down the middle.

The clinch as you mentioned was just awful. Lipski trying to use a knee shield to keep Calderwood from kneeing her was painful to watch. Her posture was broken, she was standing sideways instead of square to JoJo, and she had no grip control or base which allowed Calderwood to just push her right over. She wasn't stopping any knees with her poorly placed knee shield, and at the same time she was standing on one leg with no base and giving up an easy takedown.

Nice to see Calderwood finally getting her shit together. I think she can give a lot of the women in her division problems if she keeps improving and tightening up her game, but as long as Joanna and the Shevchenko sisters are around she's not touching gold.

Well, the truth is that Calderwood has never really had issues with strikers beyond that initial bumrush. I think that this sherdog refrain that she is getting lit up in every second fight and that her standup ‘sux’ is simply false.

In her losses, she screwed up on the ground and got submitted (Rose, Moroz, Andrade) before we could really see how the standup would play out. In the Casey fight, she quickly turned the tables and whooped ass. There was also Calvilho, who flustered Calderwood with her pot-shotting, but in that fight, the real issue was not Cynthia’s striking, it was Jojo’s lack of confidence, due to the td/submission threat.

So while I did think that Lipski might have some moments early, I knew that her chances of actually finishing Calderwood were extremely slim. And I knew that once the adrenaline settled, Jojo would punk her on the feet and in the clinch. Lipski is just too static and crude of a fighter.

Lipski is really attractive but suffers from megan anderson syndrome --- meaning she only has one way to fight; go forward, with power shots while being flat footed.

Well, the truth is that Calderwood has never really had issues with strikers beyond that initial bumrush. I think that this sherdog refrain that she is getting lit up in every second fight and that her standup ‘sux’ is simply false.

In her losses, she screwed up on the ground and got submitted (Rose, Moroz, Andrade) before we could really see how the standup would play out. In the Casey fight, she quickly turned the tables and whooped ass. There was also Calvilho, who flustered Calderwood with her pot-shotting, but in that fight, the real issue was not Cynthia’s striking, it was Jojo’s lack of confidence, due to the td/submission threat.

So while I did think that Lipski might have some moments early, I knew that her chances of actually finishing Calderwood were extremely slim. And I knew that once the adrenaline settled, Jojo would punk her on the feet and in the clinch. Lipski is just too static and crude of a fighter.

I think I overestimated Calderwood's vulnerability to the bumrush, even in her wins she usually gets backed into the fence and put in bad positions before she gets her rhythm and starts working her game. She ate some good punches from Ham and Faria had her backed into the fence and down on the mat in the first exchange. I thought Lipski would have a decent chance of hurting her early and figured the fight was probably 50/50, depending on which fighter brain farts less and keeps their composure better. Thought it would be either a decision win for JoJo if she could get into her rhythm or Lipski running her over early and then working a ground control game to run out the clock.

As for Calderwood's striking, there's things I like and things that need work. She's one of the few fighters in WMMA who have a system for their striking and put their strikes together in logical ways to accomplish various goals. She's not a random punch spammer like far too many women in the sport. She knows how to use teeps to maintain distance but she gets a bit lazy with them at times, fortunately for her there's only a couple women in the division who can make her pay for that. And while her clinch works against strikers who don't know what they're doing, she tends to get taken down from the clinch by wrestlers & grapplers. She'll be fine for a while since once again, there aren't really any decent wrestlers or grapplers in her division other than Carmouche, Shevchenko, and Davis. Women's flyweight for some reason is a very striker friendly division.

Yeah it's definitely one of her main issues. She can't flip the switch at will. She needs to get hit in the face and feel in real danger before she gets that initial adrenaline surge to increase her reflexes etc.

I forget what it's called but I'm sure it's some sort of minor condition that can stem from PTSD or stimulant abuse.

Good for her. I picked wrong and ate a shit burger in the pbp. And I luv JoJo. But that just wasn’t what I expected to see from TVQ.

55048-1553486.png

Back