Bad to tap opponents w/ body triangle?

D

Dev

I have a thing for tapping folks with a body triangle when I have their backs and I'm on top. Is that lame/something that should be reserved for competition, or is it a valid submission I should go for when I get the chance? I figure on the one hand, it's valid because that's what you get for going flat on your stomach when I have your back, but on the other hand, it seems more elegant to go for the choke.

Thoughts?

i have serious doubts you can tap anyone who has been rolling for more than 2-3 months with a body triangle

Can't say that I ever tapped someone with a body triangle.

u must be submitting some pudwackers. no offense but id knock you out

I submitted like 10 guys at a collegiate club with body triangles.

In the past two years, I do not believe I've submitted a single "real gym" grappler with a body triangle.

I've been caught in some horribly uncomfortable body triangles, but never tapped to one.

Please give me a body triangle and I'll give you an ankle lock :p

To be fair, although it's not a high percentage submission, it is possible to submit a skilled grappler with the body triangle.

It usually takes a specific body type match up, but it can happen.

I wouldn't do that in the dojo. I've had my ribs injured twice from that and we had a guy come back off a long layoff due to a knee injure a couple months ago, was preparing for a fight, and someone broke his ribs squeezing that body triangle from behind. I'd reserve trying to tap people with that to outside of the dojo. Just practice control in the dojo.

Side note, to those of you who mentioned the leg lock when someone has that on. I've tried the one where you go onto the side their dangling leg is on, wrap my own leg around, and thrust my hips forward, and seem to have a low percentage at getting it to work. I mean, I never finish it, but it has worked well enough to get people to release so I can escape. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to be doing anything though, tips?

It is a good submission but it cranks my lower back rather that hurting the ribs.

I tap because I have 2 bulging discs in my back that hurt when body triangles are applied and they hurt like shit... so yeah avoiding back problems > my pride.

You can do a nice amount of damage with the body triangle if you get them stomach down and your on their back...puts a lot of pressure on the spine.

i find it too easy to escape from... i've never been caught flat on my stomach with it though

Drysdales body lock MAYBE......body triangle? Im calling SHENANIGANS on that one!

I have never tapped, and I will never tap to one as I can take lots of pain. I was rolling tonight with guys trying to apply it from their back, and I don't understand why they would, and it will not work for me.

I think I have seen a guy in the UFC tap from a body triangle I can't remember who but I swear I have seen it, it somebody in the UFC tapped anyone can tap if caught in a tight enough one

^Ivan Salaverry beat Tony Fryklund with one. It was amazing and extremely rare.

Back