BAE joins race for new US frigate with its Type 26 vessel

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
LONDON ― BAE Systems is officially gunning for the U.S. Navy’s new frigate program with its new Type 26 frigate now in production in the U.K.

Company officials confirmed Thursday it had responded to the U.S. Navy’s request for information and were in talks with unspecified companies in the states about how it would build the ship for the FFG(X) program, according to a BAE official who spoke on background to discuss early developments.

“In terms of the technical requirements, its a good fit. ... We responded to the RFI and we’re confident its a pretty good fit,” the official said.

The Type 26, designed primarily as an anti-submarine ship, is competing hard for both the Canadian and Australian frigate programs. Anti-submarine warfare is a key requirement for FFG(X), which BAE thinks gives its frigate an edge. The design also incorporates a large mission bay that can be used as flex space for mission modules.

“The Type 26 is at the start of life, it‘s a new design and meets the new standards, and it‘s got adaptability built in,” the official said.

The ship’s mast could be reconfigured to support Raytheon’s Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar and will have enough power, space and cooling to support other requirements the Navy is looking to incorporate.

While the Type 26 incorporates or can adapt to virtually all the capabilities outlined in July’s RFI, including 36 vertical launching system cells and Mark 41 VLS launchers, the ship might be too rich for the Navy’s blood, according to Bryan Clark, an analyst with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments and a former aid to former Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jon Greenert.
“The problem they‘re facing is the rest of [their competitors] have ships that actually exist,” Clark said. “You look at Fincantieri‘s FREMM, there are already hulls in the water you can point to. [Huntington Ingalls] can point to the National Security Cutter and say: ‘We could offer a modified version of this for the frigate.’

http://www.defensenews.com/digital-...for-the-the-us-ffgx-with-its-type-26-frigate/

that would be cool if we got this of the FREMM frigate

I always wonder why so many different types of surface combatants.

You have destroyers, cruisers, frigates. Why not just cruisers and frigates if you need smaller. Or just destroyers.

Then there is the smaller boats like coastal patrol Cyclone class, Zumwalt class littoral combat, etc, etc. I guess those are for more specific type of missions, but cant the smaller frigates already fulfill that.

And then there are a whole bunch of even tinier ships like the Sea Ark, the Riverine patrol craft. The spiffy coastal combat control ship, and ever useful inflatable rigid hull boats. And a whole bunch more I cant think of. All these boats are essential for getting right up on the shore, or for patrolling by why so many types?

You have destroyers, cruisers, frigates. Why not just cruisers and frigates if you need smaller. Or just destroyers.

Then there is the smaller boats like coastal patrol Cyclone class, Zumwalt class littoral combat, etc, etc. I guess those are for more specific type of missions, but cant the smaller frigates already fulfill that.

And then there are a whole bunch of even tinier ships like the Sea Ark, the Riverine patrol craft. The spiffy coastal combat control ship, and ever useful inflatable rigid hull boats. And a whole bunch more I cant think of. All these boats are essential for getting right up on the shore, or for patrolling by why so many types?

huh? Zumwalts heavy stealth missile destroyer

"frigates are used to protect other warships and merchant-marine ships, especially as anti-submarine warfare (ASW) combatants for amphibious expeditionary forces, underway replenishment groups, and merchant convoys"

LCS is for close to shore and anti sub however american LCS is shit .

Each ship type has different its role, and those roles evolve slowly over time. USN cruisers these days mostly provide area anti-air defence capability for the fleet, but they were general purpose ships prior to WWII. Destroyers can fill anti-air, anti-submarine or general purpose role, but it was originally designed to counter torpedo boats around WWI.

England is muslim now it would be imprudent for US sell them any weapons of war save a Koran.

Back