Bag work vid

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Open to criticism.

Things I notice are that I need to stop dropping my hands and a few times I still crossed my feet when I try to move away after a combo. Also, sometimes I get in the habit of throwing the same thing all the time. I want to practice more uppercuts. I forgot to point my right foot towards the bag like someone else suggested in my sparring vid. What else do I need to work on?

I didnt watch the whole thing, skipped to when you first started hitting the bag. Right off the bat first thing to strike me is no rotation in your punches. You are arm punching. You need to pivot with everything.

@Robocok

You're asking for criticism so I'm going to go all out.

PROS:

* Looks like you probably started out doing boxing, and are just getting into MT and are trying things out. I see you experimenting with angles while punching and you have a general sense about how combinations should flow.

* It's good that you can be creative with your striking and movement, exploring different techniques and ways to execute them will keep benefiting you in the long run.

Now for the not so nice stuff:

FOOTWORK:

* When you advance or retreat, you're doing a lot of quick little hops. The end result is you're sailing in a straight line for a long period of time, standing tall, which despite what you're trying to achieve will make you less mobile and easier to hit.

Instead - use singular powerful movements to advance and retreat, you should not be stepping in or out more than once in a row before or after strikes.

* I said this above but really it applies to all situations: don't spam the same movement over and over. Gliding in and out in long lines is bad. Make bigger, more forceful steps and change direction often. Get lower and use your thighs more.

* Don't be so tall when advancing or retreating, you lose the ability to quickly change direction when a threat or opportunity presents itself. Keep the legs bent and chin down. These movements are when you're most vulnerable, put extra focus on being safe during them, even if it's boring to drill it pays off.

PUNCHING:

* You're arm punching for the most part. Sometimes you plant and turn your hips, but not enough. The arm is purely for delivery of the force your core rotation generates, so focus on generating that force by rotating your core and let the arm just be the messenger.

* You tend to hop out of your punches also. If you want to get away from the opponent after striking, try to angle out left or right, or create that distance with long strikes before disengaging in a straight line.

KICKING:

* With your kicks, you're turning your lead foot on some of them, but not all, and you're also stepping in on a straight line which isn't great. When throwing the right kick, step forward and out to your left, and also turn your left foot outward at least 45 degrees. You're rangy (stylistically) with long limbs, using proper MT footwork will let you really take advantage of all that leverage and get your body behind the kicks.

* I can tell you're not getting your weight into them also because of the way you retract the leg. There should be minimal bend in the knee throughout the whole motion and you should be turning your hip into and out of the strike, not flexing and extending the hip or knee joints a great deal.

KNEES:

* Looks like you haven't been taught technique, there's a lot *not* happening there that should be. I'll just say you should learn the technique before you try to add them to your repertoire.

@Robocok

You're asking for criticism so I'm going to go all out.

PROS:

* Looks like you probably started out doing boxing, and are just getting into MT and are trying things out. I see you experimenting with angles while punching and you have a general sense about how combinations should flow.

* It's good that you can be creative with your striking and movement, exploring different techniques and ways to execute them will keep benefiting you in the long run.

Now for the not so nice stuff:

FOOTWORK:

* When you advance or retreat, you're doing a lot of quick little hops. The end result is you're sailing in a straight line for a long period of time, standing tall, which despite what you're trying to achieve will make you less mobile and easier to hit.

Instead - use singular powerful movements to advance and retreat, you should not be stepping in or out more than once in a row before or after strikes.

* I said this above but really it applies to all situations: don't spam the same movement over and over. Gliding in and out in long lines is bad. Make bigger, more forceful steps and change direction often. Get lower and use your thighs more.

* Don't be so tall when advancing or retreating, you lose the ability to quickly change direction when a threat or opportunity presents itself. Keep the legs bent and chin down. These movements are when you're most vulnerable, put extra focus on being safe during them, even if it's boring to drill it pays off.

PUNCHING:

* You're arm punching for the most part. Sometimes you plant and turn your hips, but not enough. The arm is purely for delivery of the force your core rotation generates, so focus on generating that force by rotating your core and let the arm just be the messenger.

* You tend to hop out of your punches also. If you want to get away from the opponent after striking, try to angle out left or right, or create that distance with long strikes before disengaging in a straight line.

KICKING:

* With your kicks, you're turning your lead foot on some of them, but not all, and you're also stepping in on a straight line which isn't great. When throwing the right kick, step forward and out to your left, and also turn your left foot outward at least 45 degrees. You're rangy (stylistically) with long limbs, using proper MT footwork will let you really take advantage of all that leverage and get your body behind the kicks.

* I can tell you're not getting your weight into them also because of the way you retract the leg. There should be minimal bend in the knee throughout the whole motion and you should be turning your hip into and out of the strike, not flexing and extending the hip or knee joints a great deal.

KNEES:

* Looks like you haven't been taught technique, there's a lot *not* happening there that should be. I'll just say you should learn the technique before you try to add them to your repertoire.
Thanks. I don't know what I'm doing with knees as you could tell. I was thinking of incorporating it in a wrestling clinch but I will look into how to do this with proper form.

@Ilk told me in my sparring vid to take smaller steps but you are saying to move with a single powerful movement.

Someone told me to stand up straight and tall and not to get too low. I kind of quit trying to slip under stuff after that. They were wrong?

My old coach told me to hunch my shoulders forward and tuck my chin to my chest to protect it. That seemed to make sense. I didn't understand the point behind the stand up tall advice. I will go with your advice and get lower.

He means do not force too many steps, especially when you are moving backwards. Because it becomes a long linear movement to one direction.

Instead 3 small hop steps backwards - take one hop step back and then for example a side step or a pivot.

I would recommend a few videos to incorporate in your drills.

I warm up with footwork drills like these before every boxing workout -

When warming up for boxing - do the tile exercise too -
This is actually Sinister on the video

Here around 2:30 - do that drill on the heavy bag before starting - to release your hips and warm them up

Now do not get me wrong. Boxing is all about habits. You have way too many bad habits. The hardest part of them all is to incorporate them in your spars and eventually fighting. Warming up with proper footwork drills and basically warm ups like these are a very good way to start. At least it works for me.

Next is concious work on the heavy bag on the shadow boxing on the pads. Then you try to incorporate all that work in spars, then I guess in fights (I have never fought). It is really hard to create a set of good habits and free flow in spars with textbook technique and footwork. But you have to start from somewhere.

I would also advice to check out threats started by Sinister - his positioning ones are a gold mine. They helped me a ton. The elevation one will help you as a tall fighter too.

Lastly my advice is to slow down - like really slow down when you work. Do not rush into movements, concentrate in proper execution. Remember the most important? Creating good habits which you can incorporate in your fighting.

Last edited:
I would recommend a few videos to incorporate in your drills.

I warm up with footwork drills like these before every boxing workout -

When warming up for boxing - do the tile exercise too -
This is actually Sinister on the video

Here around 2:30 - do that drill on the heavy bag before starting - to release your hips and warm them up

Now do not get me wrong. Boxing is all about habits. You have way too many bad habits. The hardest part of them all is to incorporate them in your spars and eventually fighting. Warming up with proper footwork drills and basically warm ups like these are a very good way to start. At least it works for me.

Next is concious work on the heavy bag on the shadow boxing on the pads. Then you try to incorporate all that work in spars, then I guess in fights (I have never fought). It is really hard to create a set of good habits and free flow in spars with textbook technique and footwork. But you have to start from somewhere.

I would also advice to check out threats started by Sinister - his positioning ones are a gold mine. They helped me a ton. The elevation one will help you as a tall fighter too.

Lastly my advice is to slow down - like really slow down when you work. Do not rush into movements, concentrate in proper execution. Remember the most important? Creating good habits which you can incorporate in your fighting.

Could you please list the different habits needing correcting

Thanks for the video recommendations.

Last edited:
I didnt watch the whole thing, skipped to when you first started hitting the bag. Right off the bat first thing to strike me is no rotation in your punches. You are arm punching. You need to pivot with everything.
Thank you, you're right. I have to remember to pivot and turn my body. Could you critique my kicks?

You're pressing off your toes (or air) instead of driving off the strong part of your foot (ball area). That's where the power comes from so don't lift your foot off the ground when punching or try to push off your mushy weak toes- it doesn't work no matter how "strong" your toes are. It's a "little"
thing that makes all the difference that most people don't spot

You're too nervous and rushed. Try to slow down and feel it more. Don't hit the bag like you're scared of getting hit. You can still move around and duck etc, that's good, but use more precise, compact, smaller footwork. Jumping in large rushed movements will drain all your energy quick and get you wacked because it's easy to see what you're doing (and hard for you to control/change direction when moving all jerky and forceful)

If you want to be effective you have to get comfortable with the idea of making the other guy miss you by an inch or ideally- merely touching/brushing you with his shots. So work towards that instead of making huge nooby panic leaps-- those aren't even a fraction as fast or hard to read as you think they are

Take a few private lessons from a technical boxer or boxing trainer. Ask for footwork and efficient movement. Have them watch and correct and explain. And don't correct them, just listen your best and ask if something feels weak or inneffective (if it feels wrong it is wrong). That will put you ahead quickly

Last edited:
Thank you, you're right. I have to remember to pivot and turn my body. Could you critique my kicks?

so i watched the full video before typing this response. Before I "rip you a new one" Just remember that everyone can always improve everywhere, myself included. That being said There are many things wrong with your techniques all over the place, from stance, to punches, to hip rotation, etc. Just about everything needs to be fixed/corrected rather than improved. How long have you been training at that gym for? There are major flaws in your foundation, a strong soild base/foundation is extremely important, much in the same manner as building a pyramid. But what I see alot of specifically people that are self taught, is a upside down pyramid. No base, and moving on to other things before they are ready

I would suggest not attempting the knee, until we take a few steps back and fix our foundation first.

The good:
What I see good in your video is that you seem to have the idea and motion of the punches down. Meaning your throw your punches with the correct motion. For example, your hook looks good, many people either throw it too wide, or to short. Putting together some combinations as well. When you throw your kick, ilike the position of your left foot being angled to the side, this will allow you and help you to rotate your hips.

The bad
Dropping hands while punching, crossing your feet during your footwork. No hip rotation in anything your doing, your arm punching, and theres no hip rotation in your kick. This is why i previously mentioned hip rotation as that if I was there with you, that is what would immediately strike me as the most important thing out of everything to fix.

what to do
This is where advice online is only going to get you so far. Your not using your hips with your punches or your kicks. how do you fix it? use your hips lol. See what I mean, without actually being in person and being able to show you it makes it quite difficult. Anyways I will make a few suggestions as to what you can try on your own to help you get some more pivot in your kick. For the punching, I dont think I can do it online other than say rotate more which isnt doing much. anyways for the kick, first you need to step to the side!!! if you were standing on a clock, step out to the side, to 11 o clock, rather than 12 before you throw your kick. This will help you rotate your hips, however without someone there to help, you can still end up not using your hips despite the fact your are stepping to the side. Also, the trajectory of your kick, i see this alot too, i call it soccer kicking, as thats what it looks like to me. Even when we are kicking to the leg, we need to raise the leg a bit before we throw. You dont just throw it from right where you are as if you were kicking soccer ball sideways. If your goal with this stuff is just fitness your fine, however if you want to compete, or actually be able to properly defend yourself what I would suggest to do is...............take a few steps back in your training, slow it way down. Get on the bag or shadow box, very slowly, with no power, focusing on correct technique. Use like 25% speed and 25%, and just throw the 1-2, focusing on doing it correctly, using your hips and pivoting with each punch. If you cannot do it slow, you cannot do it fast. Once you have the 1-2 down, add the 1-2-3, and from there, the 1-2-3-4. Once you get to that point of doing it correclty nice and slow, you can start to speed it up and add power, which is where everyone will start to make mistakes again as they focus on power and you have to step back again, slow it down and repeat until you get it down. This is all just addressing fixing your hip rotation alone. I dont know if you follow me on IG but if so check out what my students have to say about me dude. I am making a conscious effort to separate myself from the rest of the coaches in the game as most just chuck you in a class, let you exercise and say good job. Not many put in a effort to actually teach people, rather they just take your money to let you show up and work out. I know because I have been there done that and was a beginner once to, i have been doing this for 18 years to be exact. I simply teach people the way I would liked to have been taught, which translates basically into the coach actually teaching you and doing a good job. This is why im curious to how long you have been training there and why your coach hasnt fixed any of this stuff?

Dont know if you are familiar with this channel but its a good one. I would suggest listening to him when you can.

regarding the video posted above by daskalo jacob, Im a big fan of Daskalo Jacob, hes a great coach with alot of great knowledge and techniques. this footwork video is a great one. However I personally feel that you are not ready for this yet, as it is too advanced. I believe if you do practice this drill, it will end up confusing you, and creating more bad habits that will need to be fixed later. Its more advanced and you just arent ready for it yet, rather than practicing a advanced drill like this, I would say to take a step back and work on the very basics.

What shincheckin said basically. There is a lot wrong and needs correction. Restart, slow down, work down on fundamentals.

Thanks. I don't know what I'm doing with knees as you could tell. I was thinking of incorporating it in a wrestling clinch but I will look into how to do this with proper form.

@Ilk told me in my sparring vid to take smaller steps but you are saying to move with a single powerful movement.

Someone told me to stand up straight and tall and not to get too low. I kind of quit trying to slip under stuff after that. They were wrong?

My old coach told me to hunch my shoulders forward and tuck my chin to my chest to protect it. That seemed to make sense. I didn't understand the point behind the stand up tall advice. I will go with your advice and get lower.
some people saying standing tall improves reach. it helps with your balance point when kicking a bit. i'm more of a boxer though, and standing too tall is the number one way to get knocked out with an overhand.

keep your elbows in. also do you prefer the right hand or the left hook? your left hook is stronger because you carry more weight over your lead foot. if you want to have a decent right, you will have to plant more weight on your back foot before throwing your cross. if you want to make your left hook more effective you have to be closer and more to the left of the bag before throwing. plant your weight and punch through the bag more in general, it will correct a few of those footwork issues.

Friend, I will not comment on the rest, but your footwork has to improve a lot.

b2d12-1-1.jpg

his stance is way too sideways for muay thai, even kickboxing IMO. leg kicks all day.
yer i was just joking. i don't really like his stance for any style. also is it just me or do western thai fighters stand a bit more upright than the thais, the thais seem to have a very balanced stance that works well for punching and kicking. (i may be talking shit thought, as this isn't really my field)

yer i was just joking. i don't really like his stance for any style. also is it just me or do western thai fighters stand a bit more upright than the thais, the thais seem to have a very balanced stance that works well for punching and kicking. (i may be talking shit thought, as this isn't really my field)

MT and KB stance is much more upright than boxing or MMA for sure.

The posture of Muaythai and Boxing is erect. Because he did not accurately avoid falls

Back