Social Baton Rouge Will Split into Two Cities Following Court Ruling

No worries.

Yes, the money must come from somewhere. My overarching point is that education should be taxed and funded at the state level.

Why? Because education standards themselves are largely set at the state level, not the municipal level. So, the state sets the standards but then leaves it up to municipalities to fund it based on local wealth. That makes very little sense. Especially for something as important as education.

Most standards are set at the state level I believe but a lot of policy and control is at the local schoolboard level. Which is who these people have the problem with.

I guess the state could fund and leave the local schoolboard with the power they have. It would be interesting seeing how that would work.

Sounds reasonable. Not sure what the resistance is to the idea

Mostly the fear that the state would fund to the lowest school levels and the people that fought to get to good areas to help their children would lose out.

Even if the states control funding and distribution schools in low income areas are not going to be "good" schools if the people there don't support and value education.

Mostly the fear that the state would fund to the lowest school levels and the people that fought to get to good areas to help their children would lose out.

Even if the states control funding and distribution schools in low income areas are not going to be "good" schools if the people there don't support and value education.
Possibly. The inequality in schools is unavoidable but private giving if you took away some property taxes I'm ok with it.

In essence then, its almost impossible to make everything equal restricting private funding of some schools will not solve the issues related to the least funded.
My position is there should be no such thing as private schools and they should all be funded equally up to a reasonable standard and if additional funding comes from somewhere for some individual school that's all fine and dandy.

My position is there should be no such thing as private schools and they should all be funded equally up to a reasonable standard and if additional funding comes from somewhere for some individual school that's all fine and dandy.
Ultimately everything can't be normalized. The focus is not the rich as they pay double or the middle class parents willing to sacrifice... its on the poor and how to help them

That's the crux of it. No form of taxation sees obvious direct day to day benefit of your dollars than local / city / municipal. I fully support people who pay more in dollar value to see a higher ROI on things THEY want. I agree it's not a complete meritocracy but this is the result of people with means doing what's best for them. Fully back it.
There's that community spirit we all know and love... <DisgustingHHH>

Ultimately everything can't be normalized. The focus is not the rich as they pay double or the middle class parents willing to sacrifice... its on the poor and how to help them
I'm not sure how this obviates my comment.

Studies show when children are segregated according to economic class or academic achievement all students do less well. If it we're up to me we'd stop treating high achieving and rich kids as special and kids who have a more difficult experience as being deficient in some way and needing to be kept on their own. When they're all thrown in together the evidence shows they all raise each other up.

Funding schools based upon property taxes is shameful. It's the best way to perpetuate the "poor people--particularly poor black people--are problem students" narrative though; that's for sure.

I'm not sure how this obviates my comment.

Studies show when children are segregated according to economic class or academic achievement all students do less well. If it we're up to me we'd stop treating high achieving and rich kids as special and kids who have a more difficult experience as being deficient in some way and needing to be kept on their own. When they're all thrown in together the evidence shows they all raise each other up.

Funding schools based upon property taxes is shameful. It's the best way to perpetuate the "poor people--particularly poor black people--are problem students" narrative though; that's for sure.

Link to study that show holding more gifted children back at the pase of the lest gifted students helps them.

Link to study that show holding more gifted children back at the pase of the lest gifted students helps them.
It doesn't hold anyone back, you tool.

Also,

*pace and least, not to mention link to study that show--are you drunk?

The study to which I refer is not immediately at hand but this is a rather larger point,
"“Segregation appears to shape educational outcomes because it concentrates Black and Hispanic students in higher-poverty schools, which results in unequal learning opportunities,” said Reardon, who is also a senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research and a faculty affiliate of the Stanford Accelerator for Learning. "

It doesn't hold anyone back, you tool.

Also,

*pace and least, not to mention link to study that show--are you drunk?

The study to which I refer is not immediately at hand but this is a rather larger point,
"“Segregation appears to shape educational outcomes because it concentrates Black and Hispanic students in higher-poverty schools, which results in unequal learning opportunities,” said Reardon, who is also a senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research and a faculty affiliate of the Stanford Accelerator for Learning. "

You said academic achievement segregation held the gifted students back.

Your study is about race and poor schools.

Which they tried to save with bussing. Which did not have the result they wanted.

My post was on the gifted programs and the students in them.

You are the tool here is you think holding them back is best for them.

I call bullshit on them not having political power or being represented, they have votes just like everyone else. They just aren't part of the majority, so they're incorporating an enclave where they're the majority again and the poors can't have a say in how their taxes are spent. This is not a new idea.

Yeah, this entire thread and the collective orgasm from all the right-wingers at this story really summarizes how truly anti-democratic they are.

They don't think representation should be based on citizenship but rather income. One person, one vote? Fuck that. What if I consider that person stupid, or irresponsible, or lazy? It'll cancel out my vote and I'm soooo smart and hard working! Can't deny them the vote anymore so we'll just go somewhere else.

Of course the wealthy have a much, much, much stronger say than the poor at the state and national politics. But these dudes are pissed because they can't have it their way at the city level as well. Amazing stuff.

Yeah, this entire thread and the collective orgasm from all the right-wingers at this story really summarizes how truly anti-democratic they are.

They don't think representation should be based on citizenship but rather income. One person, one vote? Fuck that. What if I consider that person stupid, or irresponsible, or lazy? It'll cancel out my vote and I'm soooo smart and hard working! Can't deny them the vote anymore so we'll just go somewhere else.

Of course the wealthy have a much, much, much stronger say than the poor at the state and national politics. But these dudes are pissed because they can't have it their way at the city level as well. Amazing stuff.
What St George is doing is democracy. They voted to leave Baton Rouge. It's ironic you and other leftists are upset with this when it's democracy in action.

Last edited:

Lol you like democracy only when it suits you. Hypocrite.

They just want to be safe. What's wrong with that?
I moved from the city to a predominantly white small town and my neighbor moved next to me with his young family and he's from ATL. He's one of the few black dudes in my town and in my neighborhood and we were talking and I asked him what made him choose to move to an area with almost no Black People......He smiled and looked at me and said "Exactly". I guess to white liberals He's "Wacist" as well.

Back