Becoming a boxer

fumanchu451

White Belt
Reaction score
im 15 5'9 walk around 140-145 pounds and am taking up boxing tmmrw im wondering if there are any specific training regimins out there that could possible progress me at a more rapid pace as i would just like to become a solid strong boxer

Too early, buddy. The coach need to assess your natural ability and mental dexterity. You might just suck so much you shouldn't even box.

Too early, buddy. The coach need to assess your natural ability and mental dexterity. You might just suck so much you shouldn't even box.

Yeah i've been boxing for 2 years and fought at golden gloves and i've seen tons of kids come into the club who should take up chess

You sound eager to get in there and learn, that's good!

The short answer, though, is that there is no magical workout that is going to springboard you to become some kind of boxing phenom. Just put in your rounds with a GOOD coach. Hit the mits as often as you can!

It's going to be a grind, and a really awkward, uncomfortable first few months. Stick with it and let us know how you like your first day.

the secret to success is hard work.

the secret to success is hard work.

Yeah i've been boxing for 2 years and fought at golden gloves and i've seen tons of kids come into the club who should take up chess

im one of those guys. whattareya gonna do? of course i dont have the goal of becoming a professional fighter. you can suck but still enjoy it.

P.S. i suck compared to other guys i train with, i still tool new guys and less experienced people who come in.

im 15 5'9 walk around 140-145 pounds and am taking up boxing tmmrw im wondering if there are any specific training regimins out there that could possible progress me at a more rapid pace as i would just like to become a solid strong boxer

boxing.

im one of those guys. whattareya gonna do? of course i dont have the goal of becoming a professional fighter. you can suck but still enjoy it.

P.S. i suck compared to other guys i train with, i still tool new guys and less experienced people who come in.

Yeah man, im saying some people dont really seem like they want to do it, they just like the idea of being a boxer. But if you enjoy it and put in the work, good for you man :cool:

My advice to the TS, give it a shot, and if you enjoy it, go to the gym as much as you can and put your work in. Eventually you'll get pretty good. More then anything, have fun with it

or maybe they can be like the Klitschko bros and do both :)

You want to have an edge? Go thoroughly educate yourself on conditioning, strength, nutrition, supplementation, and most importantly BOXING.

Realistically speaking, besides Boxing, all the other stuff i mentioned is just icing on the cake, if you wanna be a good boxer, you BOX above all.

You need a keen eye for detail if you want to progress as fast as possible. But remember, none of these substitute for old fashioned hard work.

Oh and yeah, absorb everything your coach teaches you.

Work hard there is nothing more to it, you work hard you will see results and the results will guide you through.

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning and conditioning. BTW, did I mention conditioning?

Every day you train just go in there and do the work. Don't talk or socialize with anybody just do what your coach tells you for a good year or so. Being a gym rat is how you become good.Then after a year or so you'll start to develop your own speed and technique and create your own tricks and setups to dominate your opponents in sparring. Put in a year of work and then things will start to get interesting.

^^^
HAHAHAHA Yeah its probably a man with a beard haha

Anyways, I train Muay Thai extensively and I really REALLY love everything about the sport. And I give it my all every time im training, and this is what you must do. Get a real love for everything your about to do, and train often, this way you will get better quicker. Now, you wont be the most amazing boxer ever or anything like that, I mean you will probably just pick things up quicker technique wise and such. But conditioning on the other hand takes time, HARD dedication, and lots of sweat and maybe tears if your going hard all the way, but so what. Getting up at 6 in the morning to jog 3 and a half miles not sound pleasant to you? Then i'd rethink everything twice before becoming a boxer. Remember to be a good boxer, its almost completely about conditining/cardio/endurance, second technique, thirdly power. (Theres lots of other things as well, just in my opinion those are the main things)...SO give it your all and have fun with it, boxing isnt called the sweet science for nothing!

^^^

Anyways, I train Muay Thai extensively and I really REALLY love everything about the sport. And I give it my all every time im training, and this is what you must do. Get a real love for everything your about to do, and train often, this way you will get better quicker. Now, you wont be the most amazing boxer ever or anything like that, I mean you will probably just pick things up quicker technique wise and such. But conditioning on the other hand takes time, HARD dedication, and lots of sweat and maybe tears if your going hard all the way, but so what. Getting up at 6 in the morning to jog 3 and a half miles not sound pleasant to you? Then i'd rethink everything twice before becoming a boxer. Remember to be a good boxer, its almost completely about conditining/cardio/endurance, second technique, thirdly power. (Theres lots of other things as well, just in my opinion those are the main things)...SO give it your all and have fun with it, boxing isnt called the sweet science for nothing!

Don't worry about the running 3 miles at 6 in the morning business. If your a newb then you should just go to class and do everything your coach tells you. Amatuer boxers only go for three rounds so perfecting your technique should be the main priority. Throwing straight and fast punches with good foot work and good defensive head movement

^ i agree, you should just try it out and come consistently and have fun at first.

If you go all gung-ho and burn yourself out from the beginning you might develop a bad impression of the sport and not want to do it.

I also agree about technique, it is of the utmost importance that you learn it correctly more than anything. Conditioning will become of importance when you decide that you want to compete.

The thing about technique is eventually you will develop your own style and break alot of the rules of technique.

Boxers are like Musicians, they learn the rules of music or boxing, then they go out and break them(eventually), and improvise on what works for them. Thats why you see all types of whacky fighters in boxing that break so many "conventional" rules of boxing technique

That being said, learn the proper basic technique before getting into any of that mess and don't get too serious and intense about it. You want to be able to develop a sense of enjoyment and LOVE for the sport first.

Back