beef jerky?????

superreise

Brown Belt
Reaction score
im from the u.k, we dont really have the stuff over here but i recently watched a video with brock lesnar and noticed he seemed to eat alot of the stuff, is it good for when your trying to keep to a good diet? or is there alot of bad stuff in there? thanks.

It's a great choice for a snack. All protein and fat. But yeah they're hard to find over here - pork scratchings are much easier to find but personally I can't choke down more than a couple of cold, dried globs of rind.

If you shop around the big supermarkets one of them will have jerky, usually in the crisps & nuts aisle. I've seen the Wild West brand in Asda and Morrisons. 'Biltong' is a South African version that you might find in more obscure shops, or you can order snazzy gourmet stuff wholesale from online vendors.

It's healthiest to make your own. The store bought stuff can contain nitrates and the sodium is off the charts.

Really? I though beef jerky was everywhere. Get a dehydrator and make your own.

Jerky is perfectly fine. It's just dried smoked meat.

Ideally you'll want to avoid the ones that have additional nitrate or nitrite based preservatives (which don't even need to be there to keep it preserved).

Make sure you drink plenty of water, and that you're not skipping on fiber and vegetables at meals, but if you need a great high protein non perishable snack jerky is great.

I prefer bison to beef, but I'm a bit of a dirty hippy.

I prefer bison to beef, but I'm a bit of a dirty hippy.

Yeah, definitely don't confine yourself to only beef jerky. Bison is great, and I just got a bunch of turkey jerky because it was on sale at costco and that's surprisingly good.

I also hear that alligator, chicken, and deer jerky are great.

I've made my own jerky at home with a box fan and a pair of clean, all cotton air filters. I got the idea/recipe from "Good Eats"...slice and marinate flank steak in soy sauce, etc, lay strips in filter, strap to fan and let run for 8hrs...really good jerky, tender, but didn't keep too well. Also kinda weird to eat "raw" beef.

I only did it once.

I'm pretty sure jerky is more like 95% protein, very little fat.
The leanest meat possible is used because fat spoils faster.

beef jerky is good, the only advice i have is to watch out for the high sodium levels in some brands.

i've also noticed, in some of the brands, to be careful which flavoring you get. Some of the lesser companies are adding more sugary flavors.

i've also noticed, in some of the brands, to be careful which flavoring you get. Some of the lesser companies are adding more sugary flavors.

Yeah always read the ingredients.

If it's basically just salt, pepper, spices, smoke, and maybe some honey or a little maple syrup (check the sugar content to see how much they added) it should be good.

If you see it loaded up with high fructose corn syrup (especially if its enough to significantly increase the sugar content), MSG, any kind of nitrate or nitrite based preservative, don't buy that shit.

It's healthiest to make your own. The store bought stuff can contain nitrates and the sodium is off the charts.

Really? I though beef jerky was everywhere. Get a dehydrator and make your own.

Healthier, better, and far cheaper. Like $50 for a cheap dehydrator & a few bucks for the cure & seasonings, then just the price of the raw beef which is about 1/8 the price of the same amount of jerky. I figure after making a few pounds of jerky, I've already saved the price of the dehydrator.

It's pretty dang tasty. I just got two packs at the store. But it does start getting sadly expensive when you get into the higher quality stuff.

1/4 thickness, marinate/season to liking, hang for 3 days(no flys around), stick it in the oven on broil for a few minutes, consume.

to answer TS sainsburys sell jerky, although i dont really like that brand....you can get biltong from waitrose which is great

saying that i may consider looking into buying a dehydrator & doing it myself, i feel like it will end in utter fail though

Anybody know of a good brand to use that doesn't have all the nitrites, msg, and all the other crap added to it? I just want to buy like 5 pounds of the shit online somewhere if it's the best. Don't care about price.

Just want the best, who's got it?

Edit: ok i see this crap is expensive, so what would be something price feasable.

Find yourself a good buddy that's a hunter and get them to make you some venison jerky. All the hunters I know love to do it for people. It's so damn good.

Back