Been out of the game for a while; need pointers on no-gi chokes

Kyuktooki

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I had not been doing BJJ in a while due to school, work, & family commitments. Now that I am back I seem to be doing fine with most of my game but haven't hit chokes with the military guys I grapple with. I think its a combination of them resisting as strongly as any opponent can and me just not remembering how to set up the chokes properly Can anyone provide me with some pointers on setting up no-gi chokes from mount and side control in particular? Even a link to a good video would be appreciated.

Can anyone provide me with some pointers on setting up no-gi chokes from mount and side control in particular? Even a link to a good video would be appreciated.

Unless you have the choke going before you jump into mount you're mostly looking at the sidechoke (arm triangle) - you start it from mount and then (usually) finish it from sidemount. "Setting it up" is all about manipulating that damn arm into position. Plenty of instructionals on Youtube.

Same goes for brabo/darce from side. If the arm-in solution missed you can follow up with guillotines finished by jumping to mount or stuff like no-arm anacondas and so on...

I really like to set up the brabo choke from knee on belly, but can't find an instructional that teaches my particular set up. It's quite easy to explain, though:

1. I've got KOB on my opponent's right side. As my opponent turns into me to recover guard or get to his knees, I reach across and pull his top elbow across his body (using my left hand against his left elbow), quickly dropping my chest on his triceps to keep the arm trapped.

2. As soon as I've dropped my chest on his arm, my left hand reaches for his head securing the so-called 'howdy' (silly internet name) position. At this point I'm using my chest on his triceps to turn his upper body towards me, while the knee on the belly - going straight across the hips - can keep his lower body flat if needed, creating spinal torsion and bio-mechanical weakness in my opponent.

3. Having secured my set up position, I take my right arm and dig underneath his armpit, shooting it all the way through (I drop my ear to his shoulder to get deep enough) until the right hand can grab the back of his head. Having secured head control with my right hand, I now release his head with my left and pass my left arm over his head, basing with the hand on the mat if necessary. I then use my elbow against the crown/back of his head to break his posture further, sinking my choking arm as deeply as possible until I'm able to lock a good RNC grip. Once the grip is in place, I simply drop my hips, shrug my shoulder blades back (most people tap at this point), and if necessary, turn towards the legs and ultimately finish from mount with my head on the mat.

In reality, this is a very simple set up, I just prefer a high level of detail when describing techniques in writing.

I am finding it super hard to set up a brabo/darce or any kind of arm triangle. The issue has been working their arm up high enough to make the choke tight. When I say these guys are strong I mean it. I'll work in the Brabo but the truth is lately I have had more luck getting their hands in the right location for a Cobra choke (I never do this on purpose it just happens cause they don't realize they can choked from there).

If they're outmuscling you, you're probably telegraphing or jumping the gun too early. A locked in d'arce is pretty hard to muscle out of.

Shemhazai did an excellent job breaking down the darce/brabo choke. I'll try to find a video of Marcelo teaching the mounted guillotine set up from side control. This one right here is a game-changer as well:

Thanks! I'll take heed of Shen (not "the" Shen is it?) and Drew and keep on working on the Brabo. I know Bjorn has a great segment on it and I remember Aesopian having some good material as well the Nth Dimension series.

Thanks! I'll take heed of Shen (not "the" Shen is it?) and Drew and keep on working on the Brabo. I know Bjorn has a great segment on it and I remember Aesopian having some good material as well the Nth Dimension series.

Honestly, if you can spare about 50 bucks, just wait and get the Jeff Glover Darcepedia DVD that Budovideos is releasing this month. Maybe get it as a Christmas gift. That's going to be the best material on the brabo without a doubt. Jeff is gonna be showing stuff that beginner darcers will need to know, and he'll have some crazy ass stuff for people that are real familiar with the position already.

Not that the resources you named aren't good ones. But the Glover set is gonna be the definitive one.

I'm sure Budovideos will have a trailer and info on the set within the next week.

Back