Bellator 214 Ratings Updated - Fedor/Bader hits 1.5m

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/B...illion-for-BaderEmelianenko-Title-Bout-148875

Bellator 214 attracted an average audience of 697,000 to Paramount Network for this past Saturday’s card, according to an industry source.

That figure is the highest for the California-based promotion since Bellator 192, which drew 770,000 viewers for a card headlined by a clash between Chael Sonnen and Quinton Jackson.

Bellator 214 took place at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif., and saw Ryan Bader claim the vacant heavyweight title with a 35-second stoppage of Fedor Emelianenko in the evening’s headliner. Ratings peaked at 1.2 million viewers for the abbreviated heavyweight grand prix final at 11:34 p.m. ET.

The co-main event, where Henry Corrales knocked out highly-touted prospect Aaron Pico in 67 seconds, averaged 808,000 viewers, while the debut of former professional wrestling star Jake Hager — better known as “Jack Swagger” — averaged 809,000.

Final ratings should increase with the addition of DVR +3 figures later in the week.

UPDATE INFO HERE

Last edited:
Is this considered good?

If you compare to 2018?
Yes

To a few years ago? Not really.

But the interesting number is the peak of 1.2m
That means that the two fights that opened the card didn't have many viewers & that if the main went 3 rounds the over-all ratings would be better

So it is certainly a positive for Bellator

If you compare to 2018?
Yes

That means that the two fights that opened the card didn't have many viewers & that if the main went 3 rounds the over-all ratings would be better

Also good to see pico is a draw and Hager was too despite his weak opponent both averaged 800,000 viewers not shabby guys.

Also good to see pico is a draw and Hager was too despite his weak opponent both averaged 800,000 viewers not shabby guys.

I would declare Hager & Pico a draw yet.
I think a lot of that was the card.
50% more tuned in after their fights.
that is a huge jump.

But the way 2018 was, this was a great start to 2019

Additional info from Meltzer:

Bellator had significant sports competition that night. The Golden State Warriors vs. Boston Celtics NBA game on ABC did 4,290,000 viewers. Premier Boxing on FOX, headlined by Keith Thurman’s win over Josesito Lopez did 1,980,000 viewers. The NHL All-Star Game on NBC did 1,778,000 viewers.

The Bellator audience was strongest with males 35-49, far weaker with older viewers, but in a surprise, in the 12-34 age group the audience was 43.8 percent women, far higher than the 22 to 33 percent women’s percentage that big MMA television shows usually do.

I guess I never realized that Bellator had moved their base of operations to Cali. I know in the Rebney days it was Chicago. Are they in San Jose?

I guess I never realized that Bellator had moved their base of operations to Cali. I know in the Rebney days it was Chicago. Are they in San Jose?

Yes based out of SJ where Coker lives (from what I know)

But they don't have that large of a corporate structure (unlike UFC)

Yes based out of SJ where Coker lives (from what I know)

But they don't have that large of a corporate structure (unlike UFC)
Hmm. Idk when this all happened, but even though it's after the fact, it's good news to me. I know that they still have big cards in SJ every now and then. I wonder if the MMA climate there is relatively similar to when Strikeforce was in its heyday?

Hmm. Idk when this all happened, but even though it's after the fact, it's good news to me. I know that they still have big cards in SJ every now and then. I wonder if the MMA climate there is relatively similar to when Strikeforce was in its heyday?

I know people in SJ.
it isn't as a big as it was with SF.

When Coker took over, he basically worked from SJ, so it migrated there.

This is a good time for mma in the states. Football is done. March Madness 2 months away. Basketball and hockey not in playoffs yet. If they can put up some good fights in the next few weeks they can prob get some viewers. Plus Bellator got clout on IG. 1.3 million followers and they’re getting a lot of views and likes. Maybe their social media growing is playing a part too.

This is a good time for mma in the states. Football is done. March Madness 2 months away. Basketball and hockey not in playoffs yet. If they can put up some good fights in the next few weeks they can prob get some viewers. Plus Bellator got clout on IG. 1.3 million followers and they’re getting a lot of views and likes. Maybe their social media growing is playing a part too.

Re: Social media
The card did well with females under 34, so maybe you are correct.

m96jjd.jpg
Swagger GOAT coming for teh belt by 2020 !!

2lmp2ye.jpg
We the people !!

If you compare to 2018?
Yes

You’re the TV expert, but I expected a little higher average and peak ratings especially after the UFC PPV cancellation left the week open for Bellator. To be fair, I know we don’t know DAZN ratings so that may change my perception.

Hopefully the next time they do a Heavyweight tournament final more people will be interested. This one felt too slow and lost some meaning along the way.

You’re the TV expert, but I expected a little higher average and peak ratings especially after the UFC PPV cancellation left the week open for Bellator. To be fair, I know we don’t know DAZN ratings so that may change my perception.

DAZN is very limited, but could it add 100k? Maybe

But if you look at MMA ratings in US (UFC also) what you hope for in 2019 is nowhere near 2016/17.

They did 1.2m for the main & that is decent
They last 3 fights were all short so that hurts as well.

It is not a HR, but certainly a positive

Hopefully the next time they do a Heavyweight tournament final more people will be interested. This one felt too slow and lost some meaning along the way.

Here is what I think Coker doesn't think of sometimes.
He is such a fan of old school MMA & Pride that he doesn't get that casuals don't give a shit about the things he does sadly.

When they started the tourney, it was expected to catapult Bellator. But like SF, it didn't (although unlike SF, this didn't hurt them)

What saved bellator was DAZN
I hope there is a plan there so after 3 years DAZN keeps them.

The fucked up part is the fights are usually delayed here in Cali so I went to the channel early thinking the card is starting soon only to find out the main event was just about to start and they were showing it live... I would have watched the whole card but even my TV guide had the fights at 9pm

The fucked up part is the fights are usually delayed here in Cali so I went to the channel early thinking the card is starting soon only to find out the main event was just about to start and they were showing it live... I would have watched the whole card but even my TV guide had the fights at 9pm

Yeah
Bellator did nothing to get the word out that things changed for that card
Very short-sighted

Here is what I think Coker doesn't think of sometimes.
He is such a fan of old school MMA & Pride that he doesn't get that casuals don't give a shit about the things he does sadly.

When they started the tourney, it was expected to catapult Bellator. But like SF, it didn't (although unlike SF, this didn't hurt them)

What saved bellator was DAZN
I hope there is a plan there so after 3 years DAZN keeps them.

I agree. He does not learn from past mistakes. I get frustrated when other MMA promotions keep repeating the same errors that prevent anyone from seriously challenging the UFC.

Back