Bellator MMA 126: Shlemenko vs Halsey 7:00PM ET Prelims/9PM ET MAIN CARD DISCUSSION

Jimmy looks high as fuck there, lol. Who's the other guy?

what the hell about 178 was more ENTERTAINING than Bellator 126? the card as the whole was better than 178. Not on paper but in entertainment. Crazy Ko by girtz, even more violent ko by Campos, Austin vs Charles slugfest ending in violent ko, Ortiz giving starks the fight of his life, what was more entertaining in 178 as a whole then Bellators event? I don't see it. Answer it honestly. Exactly you can't! Yoel vs Kennedy was a hell of a fight and Cruz's destruction was brilliant but other than that pretty forgettable stuff. McGregor had a huge win but didn't feel the excitement from that fight I was pumped for it and felt let down when it was over

Other than that forgettable? Cat's comeback against Nunes, McGregor's decimation of Poirier, Cowboy picking Alvarez completely apart, and DJ's udder dominance and quick finish against another top 10 opponent. Hell even Manny Gamburyan comeback Guillotine and Steven Thompson's Karate display are memorable. What makes it even more memorable is that this card had at least 11 world top 10 fighters.

The other guy is just one of the people I attended the show with. Took that shot from our seats on the floor. There's some cool circumstances that surround the the taking of the photo, but I'd hate to ruin the fun for Jimmy next time :)

This was taken after the prelims in the gap before the main card. They had finished shooting all/most of the main card promos (where they shoot with their backs to the empty, dark ring). You can see that they're still cutting another promo (without Jimmy) behind the photo -- which was just to the right of our seats.

We were seated directly behind the timekeeper.

When the round starts during the live broadcast, a production assistant stands behind the timekeeper with this hand flat out, telling the referee (McCarthy, Herzog, the other guy) when we're actually back from commercial -- which should be 1 minute, but you know, live TV -- and then goes from the flat hand to the classic "point at you" motion. Then Big John stops holding the fighters back for round 2. Sitting right behind the timekeeper ourselves, we spend a few rounds mimicking the PA, all also holding our hands up in the "stop" motion, and going "go!" when he did. You can't see him acknowledge it on the broadcast, but Big John gave us a little wink and nod.. "Ahh, you guys!" ..at round 2 of the Jenkins/Meller fight. That's all we wanted :)

I'm also pretty sure a PA moved a few girls to the fence near where the fighters did their walk-out to make the crowd slightly hotter for TV - at least for the opening of the show.

Entertaining is subjective, and my opinion of Bellator 126 vs UFC 178 was tainted by being there.

I didn't find the Cruz win particularly interesting, nor did I find DJ's. They outclassed their opponents, and the fights were one-sided. Only interesting if you're a guy who just wants to see your horse win the race. On the other hand.. McGregor was great, especially if you're on the hype train; Cowboy's fight was a good one, with some "oh shit" moments on each side; the women's fight was a wonderful back and forth; and we're likely going to be arguing about stool-gate for a month.

Bellator was marred by the injury stoppage for...torn bicep tendon? [We didn't exactly know live.] The final was super short. ...but otherwise there were a couple of good back and forth fights, and the cool rolling takedown... I was there live on the floor, so it was a much cooler event for me, but objectively the fights at the UFC event were (historically speaking) much more memorable.

Dominick Cruz > Bellator 126
Be objective. Would you ever show the Cruz fight to someone and say, "This is an MMA fight!" Cruz fought a guy out of his class, pure and simple.

The UFC event might have been better than the Bellator event this weekend, but the Cruz fight was only interesting if you're Cruz fan who enjoys seeing a squash match.

Be objective. Would you ever show the Cruz fight to someone and say, "This is an MMA fight!" Cruz fought a guy out of his class, pure and simple.

The UFC event might have been better than the Bellator event this weekend, but the Cruz fight was only interesting if you're Cruz fan who enjoys seeing a squash match.
Then remove the main event from Bellator in this equation and Mike Richman vs Ed West.

Squash match lol. The guy has been out for three years and went up against a top 10 bantamweight.

Then remove the main event from Bellator in this equation and Mike Richman vs Ed West.
I already did, you dolt. I gave it a quick honest review already in which I already discounted the main event. It was quite a letdown. I said, and I stand by, that "there were a couple of good back and forth fights."

Objectively I think the UFC event was a better show, but certainly not because of the Cruz bout.

Bellator was marred by the injury stoppage for...torn bicep tendon? [We didn't exactly know live.] The final was super short. ...but otherwise there were a couple of good back and forth fights, and the cool rolling takedown...

As opposed to what fight on Bellator's show? The one where Bubba faced a low level guy or where Richman killed Ed West whose like 1-3/1-4 his last few. Or the one where Halsey killed Storm in a minute or Held holding Patricky down for 15 minutes?

Takeya is a Top 7 Bantamweight and Cruz was off for three years. Was a good performance not a squash match. Just as Halsey had a good performance over Storm.

As opposed to what fight on Bellator's show? The one where Bubba faced a low level guy or where Richman killed Ed West whose like 1-3/1-4 his last few. Or the one where Halsey killed Storm in a minute or Held holding Patricky down for 15 minutes?

Takeya is a Top 7 Bantamweight and Cruz was off for three years. Was a good performance not a squash match. Just as Halsey had a good performance over Storm.
First, please go show me where I said it was a better show...

Oh? I didn't. Great. Let's move on.

Held / Patricky was actually fairly cool live. Patricky was hyped a lot before the fight, and Held's grappling was off the charts -- or so it appeared to us. I don't especially enjoy a wrestlehumping victory, but it wasn't a bad fight.

Burley / Pina was a great back and forth.

The rest of the card was "OK". Rossborough / Martinez started well, and the unfortunate injury stoppage after round 1 cut that short. He walked by our seats, showing fans, and while I still don't know exactly what happened, his bicep was rolled up pretty good. Ouch. Charles / Austin was also harmless, but all the undercards were lower-level regional guys. Each fight had a guy from Phoenix metro or Tucson - so the pool of available talent was almost entirely regional.

Anyway, the only difference is that I'm not hyping the UFC event for the Cruz win or the DJ win. There's nothing to see there. It was a great show, probably better than Bellator... ...but not on the strength of the Cruz or DJ fights.

Anyway, the only difference is that I'm not hyping the UFC event for the Cruz win or the DJ win. There's nothing to see there. It was a great show, probably better than Bellator... ...but not on the strength of the Cruz or DJ fights.
So you don't think dominant performances from great fighters are notable?

And, let's be realistic about Takeya Mizugaki, shall we? He's a guy who went to decision against Nam Phan! and who last stopped a fighter in his match again Cole Escovedo who's 1-5 since 2010. And two of the fights on his "winning streak" were split decisions.

The guy was a tune-up fight for Cruz - nothing more.

Whats up with Halsey walking out to a damn .midi file :icon_lol:

And, let's be realistic about Takeya Mizugaki, shall we? He's a guy who went to decision against Nam Phan! and who last stopped a fighter in his match again Cole Escovedo who's 1-5 since 2010. And two of the fights on his "winning streak" were split decisions.

The guy was a tune-up fight for Cruz - nothing more.
and when was the last time Cruz finished a fight that didn't involve someone breaking their hand?

So you don't think dominant performances from great fighters are notable?
I think dominant performances from great fighters are notable if they're not fighting terrible competition.

Mizugaki was a tune-up fight for Cruz. See my previous post.

Back