PBP Bellator x Rizin 2/Super Rizin 2, Sat. 7/29, 11 PM ET/8 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Seems like these guys have money in RIZIN, like some kind of deal was brokered here. RIZIN obviously trying to get a footprint in the Caucasus region. It's an unassumingly smart move.
it is interesting seeing where they are acquiring the talent for the future. UFC securing the Kazahkstan peoples, Rizin working their way towards the Aizerbaijahns, seems like that is the future and way they think it is going.

it is interesting seeing where they are acquiring the talent for the future. UFC securing the Kazahkstan peoples, Rizin working their way towards the Aizerbaijahns, seems like that is the future and way they think it is going.
Sakakibara plays the long game. He's got one of the absolute best eyes for talent in the game. You don't hear of Azerbaijani fighters anywhere really, Musayev is the first one I can think of off the top. If Sakakibara is brokering these kinds of deals, he must know something no one else does. He's hitting spots with talent that are as of yet untapped. If he gets the foothold in these kinds of places before the UFC, maybe those fighters go to Japan rather than elsewhere. By the look of things, those Azerbaijani businessmen will be pushing talent RIZIN's way, and that is gonna be cool.

Sakakibara plays the long game. He's got one of the absolute best eyes for talent in the game. You don't hear of Azerbaijani fighters anywhere really, Musayev is the first one I can think of off the top. If Sakakibara is brokering these kinds of deals, he must know something no one else does. He's hitting spots with talent that are as of yet untapped. If he gets the foothold in these kinds of places before the UFC, maybe those fighters go to Japan rather than elsewhere. By the look of things, those Azerbaijani businessmen will be pushing talent RIZIN's way, and that is gonna be cool.
sakakibara is definitely a genius of a promoter and knows how to procure talent. pretty interesting seeing this azerbaijani connection, who would have ever thought? i truly feel like rizin is entering a new age and everything is aligning again for this top JMMA organization. super excited to see the future. the suzuki upset was the icing on the cake.

RIZIN is making big moves. BREAKING DOWN is a big hit with the kids and I absolutely agree Sakakibara knows how to spot big talent. He also just knows how to grow and grow fast. As a big kickboxing fan I kinda hope RIZIN snipe a deal with either RISE or K-1 REBORN/Quintent to really go against ONE in asia.

RIZIN is making big moves. BREAKING DOWN is a big hit with the kids and I absolutely agree Sakakibara knows how to spot big talent. He also just knows how to grow and grow fast. As a big kickboxing fan I kinda hope RIZIN snipe a deal with either RISE or K-1 REBORN/Quintent to really go against ONE in asia.
damn imagine in a couple of years, Rizin v. K-1 event

My (current) fellow countrywoman Claire Lopez is next!

Despite the MMA ban being lifted, not a lot of French talent crossed over to JMMA, hey? Cédric Doumbé is having trouble getting in the UFC, poor Ciryl Gane lost in embarrassing fashion to Jon Jones...

I guess it will take time for the elite French judokas to take MMA bouts on the side, especially in Jpaan whe

Teddy Riner might change his mind about MMA in the future, would love to see him in RIZIN against a Japanese pro-wrestler.

Loïc Pietri is another former elite that I could see stepping into the RIZIN ring, now that his Judo career at the highest level is over.

He's still FW champ and I'm sure he's not gonna wanna go out the easy route. I'd rather see him go out on his shield vs the best and then retire.

Damn right, just because Patricio lost one fight doesn't mean that he became a washed up can overnight. I mean, before that fight I would have 100% picked him over Aaron Pico.

Would be a good match-up, though

Presume Bellator will try to get in the rematch between Pitbull and Suzuki in a cage before they fold.

Okay, I keep seeing references to Bellator potentially folding, Imma go read about that before the next fight starts... :(

A rematch in the cage after losing in the ring, gee when was the last time? We got it the other way around when the Japanese Musketeer, the French-Japanese hybrid Hisaki Kato smoked Joe Schilling 2x

The second fight was kickboxing rules only, to give Joe another perceived advantage

I kinda wish Kato would come back to MMA, he's been kickboxing non-stop for the last 4 years, and he's taken a lot of damage... just come back to Bellator/Rizin bro

sakakibara is definitely a genius of a promoter and knows how to procure talent. pretty interesting seeing this azerbaijani connection, who would have ever thought? i truly feel like rizin is entering a new age and everything is aligning again for this top JMMA organization. super excited to see the future. the suzuki upset was the icing on the cake.
They've really got some heat, and I'm pretty happy about it. I want options. UFC is cool, sure, they've got good fighters and whatnot, but I want true MMA to flourish and be a thing again. Outlook is looking pretty bright, exciting times ahead.

damn imagine in a couple of years, Rizin v. K-1 event
The idea of ONE is genius but Chatri is a moron who can't run a fight promotion and give fans what they want. MMA/Kickboxing/whatever else works. Most fans would prefer a dope muay thai fight mid card then a lame wrestle fuck and RIZIN delivers that.

I see big big growth for Jmma and Jcombat sports.

I think that, even though the ownership is different today, Sakakibara's history with K1 during PRIDE days and Saku's history with him as well makes this all impending. I think it will makes waves if it happens.

Seems like these guys have money in RIZIN, like some kind of deal was brokered here. RIZIN obviously trying to get a footprint in the Caucasus region. It's an unassumingly smart move.

I like it a lot. I'm assuming a lot here, but my guess is that they're getting a new round of funding because A) they've held up their end of the bargain for their investors, B) they have some solid projections for the next 5 years based on some great expansion strategies.

What Rizin has is experience operating a functional business model, experience with productions, and a professional image. They're a perfect league for the Caucasian fighters to get more international exposure. And it's a great area to scout for talent.

I'm thinking Rizin is gonna help keep Bellator afloat a few more years as a strategic investment for the Western market. I don't think Bellator is gonna fold anytime soon. And once Rizin has established itself as a bigger league, they'll "officially" buy them out.

Presume Bellator will try to get in the rematch between Pitbull and Suzuki in a cage before they fold.

I'd love to see it. If pitbull wins, it could set up a great trilogy that would help boost Rizin's brand.

My (current) fellow countrywoman Claire Lopez is next!

Despite the MMA ban being lifted, not a lot of French talent crossed over to JMMA, hey? Cédric Doumbé is having trouble getting in the UFC, poor Ciryl Gane lost in embarrassing fashion to Jon Jones...

I guess it will take time for the elite French judokas to take MMA bouts on the side, especially in Jpaan whe

Teddy Riner might change his mind about MMA in the future, would love to see him in RIZIN against a Japanese pro-wrestler.

Loïc Pietri is another former elite that I could see stepping into the RIZIN ring, now that his Judo career at the highest level is over.

Damn right, just because Patricio lost one fight doesn't mean that he became a washed up can overnight. I mean, before that fight I would have 100% picked him over Aaron Pico.

Would be a good match-up, though

Okay, I keep seeing references to Bellator potentially folding, Imma go read about that before the next fight starts... :(

A rematch in the cage after losing in the ring, gee when was the last time? We got it the other way around when the Japanese Musketeer, the French-Japanese hybrid Hisaki Kato smoked Joe Schilling 2x

The second fight was kickboxing rules only, to give Joe another perceived advantage

I kinda wish Kato would come back to MMA, he's been kickboxing non-stop for the last 4 years, and he's taken a lot of damage... just come back to Bellator/Rizin bro
Alvarez vs Aoki was the rematch in a cage after losing in a ring. Seems like another happened too, can't remember.

I love that we are all so excited we are in here mapping out RIZIN's future. There was a time when I didn't think there would be one. Would it be crazy to say that maybe Sakakibara's Mayweather gamble...worked? Seems to be when things really started turning around. Although, I lost a little over two years bc prison so I may be ignorant to some things. Seems to me, from what I know, to have been an important gamble that paid off.

+
I think that, even though the ownership is different today, Sakakibara's history with K1 during PRIDE days and Saku's history with him as well makes this all impending. I think it will makes waves if it happens.

Since you've brought it up, you guys know what's up with Sakuraba's Quintet?

Last event was in 2021, and nothing since then... Quintet was the shit, I would never miss an event, and I'd love to know what's up with it
Well, we'll talk about it after the fights!

Alvarez vs Aoki was the rematch in a cage after losing in a ring. Seems like another happened too, can't remember.

Good call, totally blanked on that one

Back