belt "rank"

some people are just scared to compete or afriad to lose.

some people are just scared to compete or afriad to lose.

I compete and don't have any problems worrying about losing (done it enough in competition lol), but just to play devil's advocate, some people don't like the idea of paying $65 and only getting 1 roll. My son competes all the time, but a few months back, there were only 4 people in the teen division. We paid $65 for him to have two matches. He won both and took the gold, but it's still expensive to compete.

Another one of our teammates (adult female) competed at the same tournament. There was only 1 other person in her division. So, she paid $65 for one fight. Even if you win or lose, you're still paying $65 for one fight. That gets expensive after a while and for some people it's hard to justify.

We specifically budget for tournaments and try to rotate so that we can each compete every now and then, but with all four of us in the family training, it would be financially impossible for all 4 of us to compete regularly. At one tournament, it would be over $200 even before you figure in gas to drive to the tournament, food to eat after the tournament since you're so far from home, etc.

Again, competitions definitely have their place and I love them, but the cost can get to be too much some times.

What does this have to do with grappling technique?

Nothing. This has to do with ego, which the TS should be doing everything he can to push from his mind.

So, it that sense, we can turn this into something about grappling.

TS, go read the humility thread and you'll find your answer. You shouldn't focus on who's more "real." Focus on getting better than you were yesterday.

yeah but sometimes you need to dig deeper than whats on the surface.

look at it like this: i mean how could you compare the physics phD of einstein with the physics phD of joe schmoe?

to me, the physics phD of einstein is much greater than anybody elses who has a phD in physics

They are two separate things. In your example, both doctors received their PhD. One just happened to be more successful with it. It doesn't make the non-Einstein doctor any less of a doctor.

You need to give this up. This is an ego thing for you that is no good. Why do you feel the need to set up some additional standard? Are you trying to set yourself above other people? Do that at tournaments and then leave them there. As time goes on, you'll likely belt faster than non-competitors.

Leave it at that.

one other thing that you should put into consideration. Compeition rules (while good for competitons) don't truely help the technical but ungifted. If you take time limits away that really shows who or what he is. I know a guy who wouldn't get a win if it was a tourney. But throw away time limits (we do this from time to time... roll till tap) and he does the helio thing.. He tires his opponent out.

one other thing that you should put into consideration. Compeition rules (while good for competitons) don't truely help the technical but ungifted. If you take time limits away that really shows who or what he is. I know a guy who wouldn't get a win if it was a tourney. But throw away time limits (we do this from time to time... roll till tap) and he does the helio thing.. He tires his opponent out.

This is great. Being good at competitions shows that you are good at competitions.

Technical skill can be shown in class though. It is that skill that most instructors care about. Unlike many other martial arts that don't truly train with a fully resisting partner, BJJ allows for live sparring during class. You don't need competitions to know if the person can apply technique with resistance (though it does, perhaps, show how one reacts under pressure better).

This is great. Being good at competitions shows that you are good at competitions.

Technical skill can be shown in class though. It is that skill that most instructors care about. Unlike many other martial arts that don't truly train with a fully resisting partner, BJJ allows for live sparring during class. You don't need competitions to know if the person can apply technique with resistance (though it does, perhaps, show how one reacts under pressure better).

but the thing you don't get is that you roll with your dojo mates day in and day out and you know their game and you know yours. competing is venturing into the unknown... you don't know your opponent's strength's, weaknesses, habits, etc.

if you can show technical skill against a stranger then this technical skill of display is of more value against showing technical skill you have been rolling with for years

but the thing you don't get is that you roll with your dojo mates day in and day out and you know their game and you know yours. competing is venturing into the unknown... you don't know your opponent's strength's, weaknesses, habits, etc.

if you can show technical skill against a stranger then this technical skill of display is of more value against showing technical skill you have been rolling with for years

yea but every school has people dropping in from other schools, guys on vacation, guys on business trips ect.

yea but every school has people dropping in from other schools, guys on vacation, guys on business trips ect.

true but there is usually a core group of people that are always there

I think everyone should use kano rank system considering he is responsible for both American Karate, American Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu it's also to be taken very seriously

Keep in mind all certified color belt holders must have belt from an instructor for example my belt is from a 8th degree black belt Hall of Famer.

All black belt holders will likely to be registered on black belt registry online etc etc

15 year old necro. Not bad. To the question, it depends on whether the person who does not compete in tournaments trains with people who do.

lets say that person A and person B are of similar rank but the only difference is that person A competes and wins a lot in tournaments.

is person A's belt rank 'more real' person B's rank.

or what i am trying to say is that are they the same rank in your eyes?
Same rank IMO. Competition can help you improve quicker, but if they’re rolling at the same level in the gym together than same rank.

Same rank IMO. Competition can help you improve quicker, but if they’re rolling at the same level in the gym together than same rank.

Why should we care about belt ranks

It's between you and your coach, not between you and everybody else in the world

We've all seen some shitty purple belts, and we have all seen crazy good blue belts. And there's a lot of excuses for everybody, the guy was bigger, I'm older, I've got some injuries coming back... At the end of the day who cares

If the coach is consistent with is program, if he's fair to everybody and if he speaks freely with everybody about how he sees you develop and what goals you need to achieve to get to the next rank. The coach is doing a good job.

Why should we care about belt ranks

It's between you and your coach, not between you and everybody else in the world

We've all seen some shitty purple belts, and we have all seen crazy good blue belts. And there's a lot of excuses for everybody, the guy was bigger, I'm older, I've got some injuries coming back... At the end of the day who cares

If the coach is consistent with is program, if he's fair to everybody and if he speaks freely with everybody about how he sees you develop and what goals you need to achieve to get to the next rank. The coach is doing a good job.
Lots of people care. I personally don’t think BJJ should seperate divisions by belt, but there is no question that the belt system is a huge part of why BJJ is so successful as a martial art. Tons of people that would have otherwise quit or never started, not only start, but even eventually get really good because of that goal of acheiving black belt.

Lots of people care. I personally don’t think BJJ should seperate divisions by belt, but there is no question that the belt system is a huge part of why BJJ is so successful as a martial art. Tons of people that would have otherwise quit or never started, not only start, but even eventually get really good because of that goal of acheiving black belt.

I agree with you that the belt system is very good to push people to acheiving things

I don't roll that much with guys who are not from my gym, but I know that my belt rank is ok, for a 40 yo 200LBS two stripes purple belt, I know that I'm in the right ballpark. I have the skills, the game, the ability for that rank. I do well enough in my gym and and I look about the same against guys from other gyms

But if my coach had sandbagged at blue belt for one more year or if he promoted me a little bit earlier for my brown belt, it wouldn't be moronic or a big drama.

What I mean by not caring about the rank, is as a third party observer. Why should I care about the BTT school a couple towns away that they have that shitty purple belt or that other kid that they are sandbagging and that is winning every comps at blue belt.

But what happens to me or within my school, that's what's important, promotions is what creates those goals for everybody

For competition I completely agree with you on that

a beginner, intermediate and expert division, based on years of training would do the trick just like in nogi.

If you have less division maybe they would have more weight classes and age classes

Being an out of shape 40 something rec purple belt I question my own legitimacy, but then remember my competitive Black Belt coach obviously sees something in me.

Back