Ben Askren-I know I would Dominate Robbie Lawler (New Podcast w/ Askren, Ashlee Evans-Smith, Gian)

Definitely feel Askren got a raw deal from Dana and the UFC. Having said that Robbie would be a really tough fight for him. I could see him having far more success if Condit or Rory were champ.

Ben has one top 20 win.

Thats not true unless you mean over 1 person currently in the top 20. If thats the case it is currently only Koreshkov who is ranked above him even though Askren stole his sole.

2010.06.17 - UD Dan Hornbuckle (21-2) - - Ranked as high as 11th
2010.10.21 - UD Lyman Good (10-0) - Ranked as high as 31st
2011.04.09 - UD Nick Thompson (38-13-1) - Ranked as high as 6th, ranked 12th at the time of the fight
2011.10.29 - SD Jay Hieron (22-4) - Ranked 9th at the time of the Askren fight
2012.04.06 - UD Douglas Lima (21-4) - Ranked as high as 12th
2013.01.24 - TKO Karl Amoussou (16-4-2) - Ranked as high as 24th
2013.07.31 - TKO Andrey Koreshkov (13-0) - Ranked as high as 18th (still in top 20)

Watching Askren having to force a no-contest against a fighter outside of the top-50 to avoid a defeat makes this claim even more entertaining.

Jon Jones should be 0-1 and 15 No Contest (too lazy to look up how many wins he has).

I like using rankings too but if you watch Sapo and think he is outside of the top 50 in talent I would strongly disagree. With that said he could never fight for the UFC unless they start fighting strictly at Indian Reservations.

Thats not true unless you mean over 1 person currently in the top 20. If thats the case it is currently only Koreshkov who is ranked above him even though Askren stole his sole.

2010.06.17 - UD Dan Hornbuckle (21-2) - - Ranked as high as 11th
2010.10.21 - UD Lyman Good (10-0) - Ranked as high as 31st
2011.04.09 - UD Nick Thompson (38-13-1) - Ranked as high as 6th, ranked 12th at the time of the fight
2011.10.29 - SD Jay Hieron (22-4) - Ranked 9th at the time of the Askren fight
2012.04.06 - UD Douglas Lima (21-4) - Ranked as high as 12th
2013.01.24 - TKO Karl Amoussou (16-4-2) - Ranked as high as 24th
2013.07.31 - TKO Andrey Koreshkov (13-0) - Ranked as high as 18th (still in top 20)
Lol @ those rankings. Lima is a good win. Ben barely beat Jay.

Fucking lol @ Hornbuckle and Nick Thompson. You go by the ranking at the time Ben fought them. Nick lost 4 of six, three fight losing streak when he fought Ben.

H
I
P
S
T
E
R
S

Jon Jones should be 0-1 and 15 No Contest (too lazy to look up how many wins he has).
I like using rankings too but if you watch Sapo and think he is outside of the top 50 in talent I would strongly disagree. With that said he could never fight for the UFC unless they start fighting strictly at Indian Reservations.
But Sapo is indeed ranked outside of the top-50. That's a fact. It is also a fact that Funky caused the no-contest while losing a fighter that is ranked outside of the top-50.

The only thing you have me on is the opinion that Funky's claim despite the above facts is entertaining. I'm sure many of Funky's fans aren't amused at all.

I remember Askren talking about how he would dominate GSP back when he was champ.. its getting old hearing Askren hype himself, he will never fight the top guys anyway.

Lol, okay you keep thinking that...
I will. Hopefully Askren will challenge himself and show one way or the other, I have wanted him in the UFC for years. So far it seems he has little interest in the UFC other than name dropping them.

After a fight with Robbie,he would never think about fighting again.

I doubt askren could take lawler down

He wouldnt be able to get close enough

I would like to see him try. But if I remember correctly, he was getting his ass beat by Santos.

Even if he did dominate Lawler, he wouldn't finish him. That means Lawler instantly wins via robbery.

Askren really has almost nothing for Lawler,Robbie trains with Romero and Lombard and has improved his TDD like not many guys have.He would get KO'd inside 3 minutes.

Dominate Lawler eh?

You barely beat Jay Hieron, and Lawler is 10x the fighter he is.

Askren acts like a depressed wife who is starved for attention.

Askren is a beast. Shame he isn't in the UFC but Lawler fucks his world up.

no

Dude couldnt even dominate Sapo Santos, Lawler would put him on his ass.

Worry about the dude you are fighting next in OneFC who isnt even ranked in the top 100.

Is he going to break Lawlers fist with his face? That's all I see happening here.

Well if Askren is such a badass, tell him to shit or get off the pot.

All he does is talk shit and fight cans.
If he was such a world beater, he would go into the ufc and handle his business and prove he isn't all talk.

Any WW wrestler with decent boxing in the ufc beats him. Lawler would murder him within one round.

Woodley and Hendricks would beat him like a drum too.

Maia would take Askren. Marcelo Garcia is considerably smaller than Askren and tapped him 10 times in 5 minutes.

Askren wouldn't be a top 10 welterweight. See Hieron, Jay; Santos, Luis.

No one wants to see you grapplefuck an exciting fighter to a boring decision Ben, please remain irrelevant.

He's not even close to top 10, guy.

It's not hipster cool to think guys outside the UFC are the best anymore. That shit died with Hioki, brotato chip.

Robbie would knock him into the next dimension.

2j0d1ki.jpg

struggled like hell to get Santos down...sorry Funky I like you but no.

Coming off a no contest against a 40 year old nobody.

giphy.gif

Santos exposed him in his last fight. Go watch. You'll LYAO!

For him to keep puffing his chest to UFC fighters, it's insane.

I remember Askren talking about how he would dominate GSP back when he was champ.. its getting old hearing Askren hype himself, he will never fight the top guys anyway.

These didn't age well

inb4 "robbie is a can now"

These didn't age well

Robbie isn't but you are. Askren looked like shit and was gifted with a non-stoppage when getting his face broken, and a stoppage when Robbie was wide awake in a headlock.

If you want to celebrate that "win", that says a lot about you.

These didn't age well

lol nice resurrects. cool to see what I thought back then because I forgot.

I was picking Askren for this fight. Robbie has lost a step.

These didn't age well

He didn't dominate anything and Robbie KO'ed him in like 15 seconds then he woke up and herb stopped the fight while Robbie was in a headlock, giving a thumbs up after going out for maybe a second or two.

If anything, this thread aged fine and Askren showed he isn't nearly ad good as he or his fans thought he was. He's tougher than most or even I imagined, I will give him that.

Back