• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Benavidez bothered w/ UFC 225 fight slot

No one cares about the 125 division unless you're MM and even then a lot of people don't care (I do).

100% he should be bothered, same for Reem/Blaydes.

You got a complete can and bum wannabe fighter in Punk fighting an amateur in some guy I dont even know his name.....this fight shouldnt even be a main card for Bellator. And you got Holm who gets constantly promoted by the UFC for one big win, other then that she's lost and nearly lost every fight and been a huge disappointment fighting a FW prospect.

People supporting these fights and Dana are gonna say it's cause of PPV and their drawing ability, its all business. Ya, I get that....no question it is. However, the UFC has a responsibility as the premier mma organization in the world to showcase the best talent and fights possible and not sell shit to fans. These are not fights that represent the best of on this card. Punk vs ? is two amateurs fighting and it will be a shit fight. This guy was a complete flop and embarrassment in his debut and should have no business in the UFC along with another guy who's fought 45 seconds his pro career and got choked out.....bottom line the UFC is selling complete shit to fans and there is a huge chance that fans will be questioning why they wasted their money....again on Punk.

Now let me backtrack a bit here and Holm/Andesron does not fall into Punk/Jackson category. This is a terrific fight that I am looking forward to very much and no question a main card fight. However, with how Holm has performed and lost 4/5 and 0-2 at FW vs a UFC new comer, I dont think its wise to have that on a main card over Joe/Pettis, Blaydes/Reem.

Reality is no one cares about Benavidez. He has been out for a while, and doesn’t move the needle when it comes to being a main card draw. He should consider himself lucky to be on a card like 225.

You do know Punk is solely a cash cow for the UFC, right, and that they're using him to sell PPVs, not showcase him as a fighter? If anything, it would be more of an insult to put him on the free undercard, because then there'd be no excuse to have him on the show at all.

As for Benavidez, he should be happy he's even still with the UFC. Dominant but boring fighter with no personality and hasn't finished a fight in more than four years. Pretty confident there aren't a lot of people out buying a card because Joseph Benavidez is on it. At least Punk is going to draw some PPV buys (which, ironically, puts more money in Joe B's pocket).

*Full disclosure: negative take on Benavidez may or may not be related to jealousy over who he's married to. ;)
How is he a cash cow? He accomplished nothing in mma. Its because dana is paying him too much, so they have to spin/justify that he sells ppv. No one cares abiut phil

He’s still getting paid and yes it’s probably because he’s a flyweight. What you gonna do though Joe?

It's a pretty stacked card as far as name power goes. Joe is unquestionably the best fighter within his own division on the card outside of the guys in the main event. He's on a 6 fight winning streak and has only lost to 2 fighters in his entire career, but because he's a FW and not a female, or a former pro-wrestler, he's stuck where he is. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I totally agree. After they wonder why FLW isn’t a draw. Benavidez vs Pettis is a number one contender fight. Tell me if any of these matches would be on fight pass:

Ngannou vs Volkov
Gustafsson vs Volkan
Weidman vs Gastelum 2
Till vs Usman
Ferguson vs Alvarez
Edgar vs Stephens
Cruz vs Rivera

The answer is no.

Exactly. A lot of fans see pay per view spots as being a big deal. Part of the problem with the smaller weight classes is that the UFC doesn't treat them like a big deal.

If you would truly rather watch Rashad Coulter fight on TV than Joseph Benavidez, you should be fucking institutionalized.

How is he a cash cow? He accomplished nothing in mma. Its because dana is paying him too much, so they have to spin/justify that he sells ppv. No one cares abiut phil
He’s a cash cow because he’s famous and, unlike Benavidez, people will pay to watch him compete. No one is saying he accomplished anything in MMA, but I’m sure the UFC knows how to break down PPV sales and probably knows a ton more than we do about how many people bought his previous PPV mainly because of him.

People tend to think of UFC cards having some kind of hierarchy, but the fight order is based on what will get people to buy the show, not necessarily what the most relevant fights are. Punk being on the PPV portion is based on money, not his seniority in MMA.

Also, you think “no one cares about Phil”? You may not like that he’s in the UFC, but tons of people care about him. I went to International Fight Week in 2015, and of all the fighter autograph lines, his was easily one of the longest. UFC bean counters know what they’re doing by booking him on this show.

It's not his fault he's small and it's not society's fault for not giving a f**k about watching tiny little men fight either
Maybe not in MMA. I wonder if there is a similar stigma against small boxers... Obviously the HW division has always been the marquee.

Yup, the hardcore Main Card is:

Robert Whittaker x Yoel Romero
Rafael Dos Anjos x Colby Covington
Alistair Overeem x Curtis Blaydes
Joseph Benevidez x Sergio Pettis
Andrei Arlovski x Tai Tuivasa

Yes Holly x Anderson is a high ranking fight, but the chances of it producing an "oh shit" moment are slim to none. Would rather have main cards filled with high level fights, and "oh shit" moment producers.

Edit: No one asked, but I'm filling out the rest of the card based Drbolony's wants and needs.

FS1 Prelims:

Phil Brooks x Mike Jackson
Holly Holm x Megan Anderson
Rashad Evans x Anthony Smith
Claudia Gadelha x Carla Esparza
Clay Guida x Charles Oliviera

Fight Pass Prelims:

Rashad Coulter x Allen Crowder
Mike Santiago x Mike Ige

Notes: Philly boy can get plenty of views on FS1, might even get some WWE fans to bite on the PPV after seeing their boy for free.

I'd rather see Evans-Smith or Guida-Oliveira over Benavidez-Pettis. But it is a good fight and I'd still show up to the bar for the full PPV with the card you proposed. As it is, I'll try to make it right before dos Anjos-Covington begins. I'm not sitting through the Punk and Holm fights.

Rashad Champ to FP Tramp, zip it!

Back