Beneil Dariush

I would give him RDA next. 6 fight win streak and deserve at least another shot. RDA above him and is back in the division so might as well let them head line a fight night card. He hasn’t also been in a main event so this should be a good opportunity for him.

He didnt look that great today. I think hes approaching gatekeepr territory but thebtop guys will ko him stiff

He controlled one of the best grapplers of the division (world champion in BJJ), took some hard shots, survived, and outstruck his opponent even though he was supposedly at a disadvantage there

What in the world does a fighter have to do to impress you? Pull out a sword and decapitate his opponent in the pre-fight instructions?

He’s well rounded and doing great. Likable dude too. Would be sick to see him fight Charles in the bout that was supposed to happen but I think Charles clearly already locked up a title shot.

He is a pretty unique matchup, which the top group of guys can use right now. Virtually everyone else vs Charles boils down to whether Charles gets beat up or can get the fight to the ground. Benny is one of the few who I could see giving Chuck a decent scrap everywhere, not necessarily being better anywhere but being good and awkward everywhere and most likely being grittier and more persistent. Even against someone like Gaethje, is it crazy to think BD might take him down and submit him? I don’t think so. He’s a fun matchup to have around as a result.

BD’s personality is a puzzle to me too.

First, the lord and savior stuff is just kinda weird IMO. He also started in on the damn “dad stuff” tonight too. What is it with the dad shit recently in this division? Cerrone, Poirier, Conor, Chandler, Dariush, Vick, etc. etc. etc. “I’m a dad. My opponent is a dad. We’re both dads. I was gonna give up and lose but I’m a dad now. I was gonna keep fighting but I’m a dad now. My opponent is a great dad. I hated him before but we are dads now. Robert Whittaker isn’t in my division or on my team but I’m gonna use my interview to remark on what a great dad he seems to be from the thirty second sound bites I heard on TV.” We get it. You had sex and didn’t pull out and a baby happened. Now you’ll help raise the kid so he can grow up to gush about being a dad too in an endless cycle of living vicariously through one’s offspring.

Second, he played an interesting angle tonight saying that he’s not gonna bother calling anyone out (after kinda sorta already mentioning people) cause he knows they want easy money low risk fights and that’s not him and he thinks that’s fine. Was he serious? Was that a passive aggressive dig? Who the hell knows.

Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now and just say that I hope he gets a big fight next.

He is a pretty unique matchup, which the top group of guys can use right now. Virtually everyone else vs Charles boils down to whether Charles gets beat up or can get the fight to the ground. Benny is one of the few who I could see giving Chuck a decent scrap everywhere, not necessarily being better anywhere but being good and awkward everywhere and most likely being grittier and more persistent. Even against someone like Gaethje, is it crazy to think BD might take him down and submit him? I don’t think so. He’s a fun matchup to have around as a result.

First, the lord and savior stuff is just kinda weird IMO. He also started in on the damn “dad stuff” tonight too. What is it with the dad shit recently in this division? Cerrone, Poirier, Conor, Chandler, Dariush, Vick, etc. etc. etc. “I’m a dad. My opponent is a dad. We’re both dads. I was gonna give up and lose but I’m a dad now. I was gonna keep fighting but I’m a dad now. My opponent is a great dad. I hated him before but we are dads now. Robert Whittaker isn’t in my division or on my team but I’m gonna use my interview to remark on what a great dad he seems to be from the thirty second sound bites I heard on TV.” We get it. You had sex and didn’t pull out and a baby happened. Now you’ll help raise the kid so he can grow up to gush about being a dad too in an endless cycle of living vicariously through one’s offspring.

Second, he played an interesting angle tonight saying that he’s not gonna bother calling anyone out (after kinda sorta already mentioning people) cause he knows they want easy money low risk fights and that’s not him and he thinks that’s fine. Was he serious? Was that a passive aggressive dig? Who the hell knows.

Anyway, I’ll stop ranting now and just say that I hope he gets a big fight next.
I lol'ed at the dad speech.
Thanks for the laugh bro

You do know what happened the last time he faced the best of the division right?

tumblr_ompbutkd3n1r7vh24o1_540.gifv

He's almost like James Vick in a way where he can string together wins against decent names, but every time he went up against prime competition he lost. Miller's a good name, but that's really the only one. None of the people on that list would beat anyone in the Top 10 and probably couldn't hold onto their spot in the 15 outside of Dober and maybe Klose.

His streak is a streak of circumstances in my honest opinion, put him against an ELITE Striker and he's getting TKO'ed like he has before.
I couldn't disagree more.

His loss to Hernandez was bullshit and have no respect for Hernandez since. You need to rewatch the Barboza fight. Typical case of "he was winning until..." .

Barboza timed him perfectly on the takedown attempt but not many striker can do that. He's actually pretty much the only one in my opinion. (At lw during that time)

Beneil reminds me a bit of a more agressive and unorthodox Mousasi. The guy has a really good IQ for fighting, always remains calm under any circumstances and has a chance against anybody.

Not saying he's champ material but, for me, he can hang against anybody and can beat anybody on any given night. I give him a 50/50 chance vs top 6-10 and a 20-30% chance vs top 5.

He's been my darkhorse in the division for a while now and was upset that people kinda forgot about him after his Hernandez/Barboza fight.

I might be biased a lil bit, I'm really a fan of the guy. Just like my boy John Lineker who I'm also high on.

Edit: James Vick has awful unorthodox technique. Backing up with his chin in the air. He got by because of his range but once people started to get close, he was done. Darriush actually started the party of brutal ko vs Vick. Darriush is also unorthodox but still has good fundementals.

Last edited:
I feel like he's going to get a step up in competition and lose the next 3 straight.

I like Beneil vs Tony, not sure that could be improved upon but let’s see..

Diaz
Hernandez rematch

He is on a 6 fight win streak, he deserves a top fight, so does islam, after he beats drew.
Enough with these shot guys at the twop coming off losses and not fighting new blood. Dan Hooker getting the royal treament because he is from Adesanya team.
Hooker vs dariush

I bet you're not a dad

He looked slow as shit out there. Good grappling control and fun to watch but it really didn't look like 'high level mma' like the commentators and mma media were saying. But that said, he gets it done!

Tbh I didn't see anything in that performance to make me think that beneil would have any success against the top 5/7

I like his style, but he has two massive problems: his below average hand speed and a consistently weak gas tank that turns every one of his longer fights into a life and death struggle. He is doomed to be a gatekeeper, unfortunately.

You can get far with just one of those problems but combined, they are career-stunting. Chito for ex has a similar skillset and also relatively slow hands, but his cardio is fantastic. That makes him a problem for anyone.

Back