Berimbolo against standing?

Who the fuck do you come off as to tell me that I'm making myself sound like an idiot and to stop talking? Are you god? Am I supposed to be sucking your dick and worshiping you begging for enterence in to heaven?

No.

Like I said, it was a long month, I've been putting up with loads of stress from lawsuits and attorney fees, I was tired, and I was just trying to help. I never heard of a Berimbolo, in fact, I thought it was someone's name. I don't study BJJ, so it wouldn't be common knowledge to me.

Then why are you posting in the thread if you don't know what you're talking about he? He's not a rude poster as a rule, he told you to be quiet because it was glaringly obvious you had no idea what the technique was. TS might not have enough knowledge to know that, and so he tries your bad advice and the move never works for him, defeating the goal of posting a technical thread on a grappling forum.

And if you didn't know what a berimbolo was, then:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=berimbolo

I think rafa shows a few things on mendesbros

- non DLR foot into their biceps

Or
- if they step over your leg, do a waiter sweep

I kinda meant that when I said shoulder. Just that general area I find works good for me, but then at the higher level pushing against the biceps might work specifically better. When I say general area, I mean chest, shoulders and biceps.

I had never thought of the waiter sweep as a counter. If someone steps over my leg I'll either shoot directly into the (sigh) kiss of the dragon sweep or secure a reverse de la riva and attack a separate sweep or transition back into de la riva or sit-up guard.

I'm assuming to get the waiter sweep you would have to invert round the back of them and come through their legs so that you end up facing forwards. Would that be correct or have I completely misconstrued the idea?

I'm assuming to get the waiter sweep you would have to invert round the back of them and come through their legs so that you end up facing forwards. Would that be correct or have I completely misconstrued the idea?

That's another (more convoluted) route, but the counter to the opponent stepping over is much simpler: Simply kick him overhead with your inside hook and dive to deep half. (Preferably with the knee inside to control the distance.)

That's another (more convoluted) route, but the counter to the opponent stepping over is much simpler: Simply kick him overhead with your inside hook and dive to deep half. (Preferably with the knee inside to control the distance.)

I'm an admittedly poor deep-half guard player. Will try this regardless, thanks.

I'm an admittedly poor deep-half guard player. Will try this regardless, thanks.

I actually consider the waiter sweep - the variation with the knee inside, how the Mendes bros. teach it - more of a De La Riva or X-guard position (probably an intermediary between the two, to be exact) than a deep half technique. Whenever I end up in deep half these days, I only look to set up that sweep, transitioning into X-guard or berimbolo variations if he defends.

I actually consider the waiter sweep - the variation with the knee inside, how the Mendes bros. teach it - more of a De La Riva or X-guard position (probably an intermediary between the two, to be exact) than a deep half technique. Whenever I end up in deep half these days, I only look to set up that sweep, transitioning into X-guard or berimbolo variations if he defends.

I don't play it with the knee inside, I hit the waiter sweep how Ryan Hall teaches it. It's the only deep-half guard attack I can hit consistently, really.

I don't play it with the knee inside, I hit the waiter sweep how Ryan Hall teaches it. It's the only deep-half guard attack I can hit consistently, really.

That's my go to sweep as well, but the "homer simpson" is another that is super easy to hit. You should check out the Jake Mackenzie deep half DVD.

That's my go to sweep as well, but the "homer simpson" is another that is super easy to hit. You should check out the Jake Mackenzie deep half DVD.

The HS leaves you very vulnerable to attacks on your forward arm, I find it's much safer either using the leg lever to lift and sweep directly to double unders pass, or to use the Bernardo Faria double lapel sweep.

The HS leaves you very vulnerable to attacks on your forward arm, I find it's much safer either using the leg lever to lift and sweep directly to double unders pass, or to use the Bernardo Faria double lapel sweep.

You gotta tuck that arm when sweeping them on their butt and lower down to secure the leg and protect your own arm. Then bring your knee over their thigh, scoop under the leg with your far arm for the leg over the shoulder pass.

I haven't really played with the collar or sleeve berimbolo at all. I learnt it watching Rafael and just used the belt grip myself. I know lots of people who use the collar and some who use the sleeve, but I guess I should play around a bit more, especially cause better guys might not give me that belt grip.

Yes, getting the belt grip is hardest part for me. Sometimes I feint the reach for the belt a just come up for a single.

I've hit the homer simpson a couple times in comp before. That said, I don't like it, I feel like I'm in danger when I finish it. Obviously it's because I'm not particularly good at it, but it's also partially because I'm not well-versed in the passes you hit from that low down position in half-guard.

If I'm deep-half and don't get that waiter sweep, I'll cross my hooks like x-guard underneath and play like an overhook x-guard (in that I'll use my hooks to lift rather than to stretch) and will lift their leg up and come on top.

I can't explain it properly, but the mechanics are similar to this, I just start underneath and have to pop my head out:

[YT]bnWxSUUiBCA[/YT]

I've hit the homer simpson a couple times in comp before. That said, I don't like it, I feel like I'm in danger when I finish it. Obviously it's because I'm not particularly good at it, but it's also partially because I'm not well-versed in the passes you hit from that low down position in half-guard.

If I'm deep-half and don't get that waiter sweep, I'll cross my hooks like x-guard underneath and play like an overhook x-guard (in that I'll use my hooks to lift rather than to stretch) and will lift their leg up and come on top.

I can't explain it properly, but the mechanics are similar to this, I just start underneath and have to pop my head out:

[YT]bnWxSUUiBCA[/YT]

I know what you mean. It's a good way to play it, though you have to be very sensitive with your hooks to avoid them just detaching and passing. I like to play this way for sure.

Back