Best BJ Penn line before a fight…

All the hype behind BJ some prodigy is just some fuckin joke, which of course the UFC would nut up on. Most people are at their physical prime, coordination wise in the 20's, so Penn picking up BJJ in his 20s and being good at it doesn't make him a prodigy. BJ Penn doing that same stuff at the age of 4 or 5 would make him a prodigy. But of course the UFC gonna ufc.
<JagsKiddingMe>{<BJPeen}

You're a fuckin' muppet, blaming "the UFC"

<NoneOfMy>

Guess Ngannou was a prodigy too winning the HW belt after just picking it up as an adult?
You are getting a lot of hate but i agree with you…

For one Penn’s family was/is rich hence they could afford private BJJ lessons and he had access to things most did not.

Was he a “prodigy”, in some ways but Alex Pereira was an alcoholic and did not pick up kickboxing until he was almost an adult…

I think Alex’s story is far more impressive.

All the hype behind BJ some prodigy is just some fuckin joke, which of course the UFC would nut up on. Most people are at their physical prime, coordination wise in the 20's, so Penn picking up BJJ in his 20s and being good at it doesn't make him a prodigy. BJ Penn doing that same stuff at the age of 4 or 5 would make him a prodigy. But of course the UFC gonna ufc.
OOph. pretty nice job making yourself look like a dork.

This is what prodigy means:

prodigy /prŏd′ə-jē/

noun​

1. A person with exceptional talents or powers.
    "a math prodigy."
  2. An act or event so extraordinary or rare as to inspire wonder.
  3. A portentous sign or event; an omen.
I don't see anything in here about being 4 or 5, in fact it doesn't say anything whatsoever about age.

I think you're thinking of "child prodigy."

"Quarter pounders?? Really pimple boy? I won't even RNC you... afraid of all the pimples on your back. #gross"

You are getting a lot of hate but i agree with you…

For one Penn’s family was/is rich hence they could afford private BJJ lessons and he had access to things most did not.

Was he a “prodigy”, in some ways but Alex Pereira was an alcoholic and did not pick up kickboxing until he was almost an adult…

I think Alex’s story is far more impressive.

I understand where you are coming from in wanting to contextualize BJ Penn's affluence as a factor in his early success, but that does not in any way take away from his being a prodigy.

No matter how you slice it, BJ Penn's BJJ and MMA successes were amazing, and the nickname "Prodigy" definitely works to describe these accomplishments. He started BJJ at 17, earned a black belt in record time and then became the first non-brazillian BB world champ ever. That's prodigy shit right there.

In fact, it seems reasonable to think that his being rich might have diminished his overall accomplishments. BJ didn't carry the junkyard-dog, fight-my-way-out-of-poverty mentality that many fighters have, and maybe this is why he seemed to show a lack of grit and determination in many of the fights he lost.

You might be right about Alex's story being more impressive, there can be two prodigies.

100/100 unmotivated BJ Penn smokes every one of the little couch warrior chodes in here talking shit lol.

I'll just use this Penn thread to remind everyone that he was a front runner that never came from behind to win a fight in his career.

he was a crazy good front runner though

my contribution: "My diet is like Atkins but with the carbs"
<36>

Guess Ngannou was a prodigy too winning the HW belt after just picking it up as an adult?

i guess Arlovski and the other 5398 fighters are Pitbulls, i guess Shevchenko is actually a bullet, i guess Chan Sung Jung is a Zombie, i guess you should KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH
200w.gif

He wasn’t just “good at it”. He got his black belt in 3 years time. That’s unheard of, no matter how many private lessons you get. That alone is prodigious. Then in the same year he became the first non-Brazilian to win a world championship at the black belt level.

He wasn’t just “good at it”. He got his black belt in 3 years time. That’s unheard of, no matter how many private lessons you get. That alone is prodigious. Then in the same year he became the first non-Brazilian to win a world championship at the black belt level.
All this is great but BJ deserves all the respect for kicking goofball Andy Wang off his TUF team.

That was incredible and hilarious.

It was always kind of funny and annoying no matter what he said because it was said with such a soft, high pitched kids voice.
the most badass guys often seem to gave high pitched voices. anderson, mike tyson, robbie lawler, eazy e… not sure why that is.

Gane and Ngannou are prodigy's too? A prodigy isn't someone in their 20s.

Gane and Ngannou are prodigy's too? A prodigy isn't someone in their 20s.
It definitely can be. Hell even a country or an institution can be a prodigy.

You’re thinking of child prodigies. But consider that if all prodigies were children there would be no need to delineate child prodigies from any other kind.

To call someone a child prodigy would become redundant, hence we can conclude that one need not be a child in order to qualify as a prodigy.

Or you could just look the word up yourself.

Back