Best GnP ever: Jones, Cain, Khabib, Fedor?

Really though there are quite different kinds of GnP, some guys like Fedor looked to make space and throw very high powered fight ending shots, others look to keep close and slowly grind people down like Khabib.

I think it often tends to be "wrestler GnP" and "submission fighter GnP", the latter tends to be able to create more space to throw with bigger power, they control opponents less so people can potentially escape more but they have more of a sub threat to counter that.

Last edited:
tumblr_mdieuoWXjM1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
463994_o.gif

There are a lot more examples but I can't be arsed to find gifs now.

Khabibs technique is light years ahead of bum ass HWs.

HWs should never be compared with LWs on a basis of skills

Khabib. In terms of volume, precision, how many positions he effectively threw it from, and how he used to complement the rest of his game Khabib had it all. Others had more raw power behind it but Khabib's GnP is technical.

There are some really good breakdowns out there on how nuanced his gnp was

Khabib's ground and pound is unrivaled by anyone ever and I don't think it's remotely close. Some could argue Jones was really good at it but Khabib did it more often. Dude mastered the art of pinning against the cage, getting to the ground, isolating your hip, taking an arm out of the equation and just unleashing accurate hell from above.

Yes, the best GNP person ever is the guy who literally only ever stopped short notice unranked Horchell with GNP.

Christ.

The answer is Jones who's stopped plenty of fighters with his and did so extremely viciously.

Jon and it's not even close

It's only close because half this board wasn't even around for most of his fights.

Anybody saying it's not Jones is clearly someone who never saw the Hamill, Vera, Vlad, Shogun, Chael, DC 2, Gus 2, etc. fights. They're someone who's clearly only ever been around since like Smith if they think he doesn't have the best GNP in history. He's the most savage guy there is when he's on top of you raining down blows.

Fedor going into Nog's guard and beating him there is much more impressive.

Yes, it's totally impressive that the Grand Master of Sambo and International Master of Judo grappled with 4th place ADCC Nog. After he'd already grappled with the far more decorated multiple time 1st place Arona.

Fedor fans love to praise Fedor for fighting fights where he had the advantage. He succeeded for so long precisely because he was great in multiple areas so could just fight wherever. And his power made up for a lot of deficiencies otherwise if not.

Yes, the best GNP person ever is the guy who literally only ever stopped short notice unranked Horchell with GNP.

Christ.

The answer is Jones who's stopped plenty of fighters with his and did so extremely viciously.
Lol not only is that objectively false but you clearly didn't read either post at all.

Jon is my second pick but if you actually read my reasoning, you'll understand why stopping power wasn't my focus. Overall technique and application goes to Khabib imo. His GnP elevated every part of his game even further

JJ... if he's in top position and his opponent can't immediately escape or reverse.. the fight is over.

Back