Best Jiu jitsu compliments...

CashBill

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was rolling with a white belt and he said, "You are legit, bro."

I think that "legit" must be the number one jiu jitsu compliment. "No joke" and "For real" are good ones too.

If you tell me, "You are so strong." Prepare to meet the Kracken after that insult.

What are some other good jiu jitsu compliments?

We were driling triangle setups, and after my partner tapped he was like "...true"

I have rolled with my buddies that have talked smack for a long time. Make fun of me cause I train. Then they roll and they say
I had no idea.

Other best compliment is when a guy walks outside and pukes

I am adding "I had no idea" and "true" to the list. I told a white belt today, "Congratulations on not puking today." Vomiting is always a sign of respect.

I swept somebody one time. He made "weeeee whoaaaa" sound like there was a dip in the road. That was cool.

I'm a fan of "I wasn't expecting that"

Hahaha. I was a about 120 when I started BJJ. Over the years I've packed on about 20 pounds of muscle.

I love when people tell me I'm strong. Yay jiu-jitsu!!

Ok. Executive decision: If you weigh 120 lbs, "You are strong" is a compliment. :)

Carlson Gracie Jr was coaching my opponent at Pan Ams last year, and told my coach "Your boy looks good".

"your skin is so soft"
"you have such cute/tiny feet"

Many years ago a famous fighter said. "I was ducking you today because I didn't want to be challenged."

Dan the Wolfman dropped my name in a video

I'm 54. I had one person ask me what type I take (steriods / performance drugs). I don't take anything. I was really happy that someone would think that.

"You move well". Nobody would have said that to me 5 years ago :D

And "you feel heavy". I'm 5"11 and 170lbs on a good day, so whatever heaviness they feel must be my slick technique.

I think "legit" is great because the opposite "fraud" is so awful.

I take "nice pressure" to be a complement whether they mean it as a backhanded insult on my style or not. As one of my first coaches told me, "If they're comfortable, you're doing it wrong."

Back