Best surround sound

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the best, period?

And..

What's the best bang for your buck? A good value...

You have to explain further. Dolby Atmos Headphone and DTS:X headphone arew the best surround sound headphone programs. Best headphones or speakers or sound card, what do you need to know?

Who makes the best surround sound speakers and offers a decent deal with a good value

Assuming you are connecting directly to PC and not using a receiver?

No idea. I just spent like $500 on a JBL soundbar/sub combo and the shit sounds bomb.

I'd worry first about a quality receiver if you don't have one.

Personally I like Onkyo.

What’s your budget?
I'm trying to figure out how much I should budget. I would love some face peeling bass and to be able to tell which direction footsteps are coming from in a game but if there's something that's sort of close to that at a great price I would consider.

Last edited:
What's the best, period?

And..

Are we talking a general home theatre system for a console, or for a PC?

While you could use a home system with a PC, I find this rather cumbersome personally. I'd check out Craigslist for one of the THX Zseries 5.1 setups, you can get one for really cheap.

For a general home theatre setup, this is a far more complex question and your best bet is to piece together a system, this is also considerably more expensive but the experience especially movies) will be excellent.

I have an old Harmon Kardon receiver that is almost 20 years old and is still a champ, I replaced it with an onkyo for the HDMI inputs and that is also very good. I have Cerwin Vega 12's for my LR, as the sound for the price is great, and bose C,SR,SL as they have a good clean sound. My subwoofer is a Paradigm PS-800 that I can barely use as it makes the entire house shake, lol.

I play with 7.1 surround on consoles/pc and the rear surrounds are mounted in the ceiling towards the back wall to add a slight height effect. It's pretty awesome and gets really loud, but mainly because my center channel and subwoofer were $800 a piece. Honestly, they would sound great in a 2.1 setup.

But quality home theater adds up to well over a grand or two, real quick. For games, you can get with more budget gear. For blockbuster movies, the better gear makes a bigger difference.

I'm building another home theater in my parents final home and I'm doing a 5.2.2 Atmos setup that is a standard 5.1 setup plus an extra subwoofer and 2 speakers mounted in the ceiling directly above the seating area, more or less.

I'm interested to see if it's better than my 7.1 as far as immersion goes. The 2 height speakers will be right above so it should produce a more 3d sound field. At least according to Dolby.

I hear the surround headohones are great too. I've never tried them but I've tried regular quality cans like Grado and Audiotechnica.

Last edited:
What's the best, period?

And..

The best is subjective. People like different sound profiles. "The best" is easily 5-6 figures.

Do You have a home stereo place or even a best buy magnolia near you? Go listen.

Are you looking for floor standing or what?

Here is a review site. Filter for price and go from there.

https://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/hi-fi-speakers

For 5.1 set ups

https://www.whathifi.com/search/products/5.1?oq=5.1&src=textfield&aq=5.1&type=product&pos=top

The best is subjective. People like different sound profiles. "The best" is easily 5-6 figures.

Do You have a home stereo place or even a best buy magnolia near you? Go listen.

Are you looking for floor standing or what?

Here is a review site. Filter for price and go from there.

https://www.whathifi.com/products/hi-fi/hi-fi-speakers

For 5.1 set ups

https://www.whathifi.com/search/products/5.1?oq=5.1&src=textfield&aq=5.1&type=product&pos=top

Best Buy Magnolia is premium stuff but you ain't walking out of there with a 5.1 system under 3 grand.

I got my SVS subwoofer and Bowers & Wilkins center channel there, 2 premium brands, but that was where I drew the line. The rest of my surrounds are pioneer so I could avoid going over 5 grand. Lol

That said, for my parents' setup I went with HSU Research for all 9 speakers.

I did a shit load of reasearch and HSU is straight up the most respected speaker company that you have never heard of.

One of the reasons why is that they list the full measurements to the public and the audio engineers that reviewed them all confirm their accuracy. A lot of mainstream companies don't do that.

BOTTOM LINE... If I were to do it all over again, I would go all in with HSU speakers. Probably the Hybrid 2 series. I admit, I haven't actually hooked them up in parents basement yet, we still have to put up the drywall and do the floors, but from all the positive reviews on AVS forums I'm confident it's gonna crank the fuck out.

I mean the subwoofer is massive compared to my SVS. Lol

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

Check out their packaged deals, of you want to go the the theater route. Start all the way at the bottom with the Hybrid 1. That what I got for my peeps.

BTW, the Hybrid series speakers are horn based, but don't let it fool you. It's maximum bang for your buck.

Who makes the best surround sound speakers and offers a decent deal with a good value

Again, check out HSU Research. You can get a solid 7.1 speaker package for under $1600. Throw in a $500-$700 receiver and you will have biiiigggg sound.

Google "HSU avsforums" and read what the real audiophiles think about them. That's what I did before I purchased them.

You'll be dropping a few g's for even remotely "best" setups op.

Back