Best take down defense in MMA?

It's probably some wrestler that doesn't usually find himself defending takedowns.

Let's be serious people, the fighters that has the best takedown defense in MMA history and whom perfected and popularized the sprawl-and-brawl technique which is part of it:
1) Chuck Liddell (Couture is the only one who was able to take Chuck down at will and keep him down, watch their 1st fight).
2) GSP (Kosheck is by far the only fighter who took GSP down couple of times, watch both of their fights).
3) Cro Cop (remember people, Mirko was fighting guys twice his size, so that says it all).
4) BJ Penn (he's not even a wrestler, and was also fightin guys way bigger than him, and they still had problems to take him down, watch his 1st fight with GSP, 2nd fight with Hughes).
5) Lyoto Machida (also not even a wrestler, BARELY got taken down in his whole mma career, only got takin down once by Jones and Rampage).
6) Junior Dos Santos (fought some of the best in the HW as Roy Nelson, Shane Carwin, Cain Velazquez, and still didn't got taken down at all).
7) Rashad Evans ( BARELY got takin down in his whole mma career too, only got takin down a few times by Tito Ortiz in their 1st fight).
Honorable mentions: Kosheck, Sherk, Rampage, Matt Hughes, Thiago Alves

Suprised noone mentioned Jon Jones...I mean he has never been taken down in mma before.

Aldo has ridiculously good TDD. JDS is also great.

word.
b0WQR.gif

Suprised noone mentioned Jon Jones...I mean he has never been taken down in mma before.

That's true, but the only person I can think of who actually tried was Bader.

Jones is hard to take down not because he actually defends the takedown, but because he controls distance so well. Opponents never even get in the right range to make a solid takedown attempt. So he's not actually doing that much wrestling-style TD defense, he just doesn't let his opponents get in position to try.

It has to be Cormier I seriously don't see anyone in MMA ever getting him down unless he lets them.

It has to be Cormier I seriously don't see anyone in MMA ever getting him down unless he lets them.
Also if you look at UFC/SF heavies, only one who might be able to take down Cormier is Cain and since they are training partners, doubt they will fight each other.

What about Sexyama?
He's got some nice TDD.
Certainly not the best, but worth mentioning.

And speaking of TDD defense - does anyone else gets depressed when they see Gomi and Yamamoto - who used to have splendid wrestling and TDD - get manhandled to the mat by non-wrestlers?

Joe rogan was said that jon jones has been on his back for less than 2 minutes in his entire ufc career during his fight with rashad evans

Back