Better wrestler? Gillespie vs Kevin Lee

Espresso

Post USADA
@Silver
Reaction score
I thinks its fair to say the Lee's stand up is clearly better. However, Gillespie might be just as good of a wrestler as Lee, and hands down one of the best wrestlers in the UFC.

Like i have said before, i think Kevin Lee is not very patient with his wrestling and unloads at first sight. He is extremely good at it and wrecks havoc, however, i think Gillespie is a more technical wrestler who will latch on to different parts of your body as a grappler, making him a more suffocating opponent...

Gillespie's last beatdown was very impressive, and if he wouldve applied the same level of striking, as opposed to wrestling, he would be all over sherdog. I dont remember the guy landing a shot on stand up, he literally ragdolled Pichel the entire fight

Last edited:
whichever one makes my sig first is the better wrestler...

Fairly similar, though Lees stand-up is more advanced at this stage.

Both dudes are beast wrestlers.

Last edited:
Gillespie is an NCAA division 1 champ.

I forget what Kevin Lee’s wrestling credentials are but I don’t think they exceed Gregor’s.

giphy.gif

4x division 1 All-American and a D1 NCAA national champion in wrestling, with the school record for career wins at 152 and for win percentage at .917, as well as being the only true freshman All-American in school history. High school record of 238-11 and 2x New York state champ.

Gillespie is a better wrestler he also leaves himself open for the intercept knee more than Lee does if you want to take that into consideration as part of wrestling since it is wrestling for MMA after all and not based on outside accomplishments.

who cares? hes going fishing!

I look forward to the inevitable title fight between these two fucking studs.

Gillespie for sure. Lee relies on his strength too much while Gregor's technique just seems top notch all around. He also competed at a higher level which helps.

I'm not amazed with Gregor's top control but his passes are really good.

As for Lee, he has really good top control but his passes are not all that impressive to me.

It's close but Gregor seems a bit better.

I was just thinking about this matchup earlier today. I can see Gillespie beating Lee and stealing his thunder.

Gillespie might be the better wrestler, but Lee is a lot bigger, isn’t he? I’d say Lee is stronger and more explosive (heh) as well, which obviously plays a part in fighting.

Lee has better stand up, too.

Like i have said before, i think Kevin Lee is not very patient with his wrestling and unloads at first sight.

Oh I wouldn't necessarily so that. Against Edson, for example, Lee made sure to herd Barboza in the stand-up so that the Brazilian stood with his back against the fence before shooting for the takedown, hence improving his chances of getting it to the floor. That's not excactly toughtless behavior.

Back